walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lakes Meet Up

Lakes Meet Up

Postby hutchy1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Birkhouse Moor, Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn

Date walked: 13/04/2014

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After missing the first day of the lakes meet with the dreaded man flu I was determined not to miss Sundays tour of Helvelyn I met Anthony, Jimmy, Richard, Simon, Pam, Emily and Trudy in Glenridding at 9am we set of up through Grisdale toward the outward bound climbing hut
P1000124.JPG
P1000125.JPG
P1000127.JPG
good views opening up over to Fairfield and Cofa pike
From there we climbed faily steeply up the Tongue towards Dollywagon Pike
P1000128.JPG
P1000131.JPG
P1000130.JPG
a good view back down the valley
P1000132.JPG
First view of striding edge
P1000133.JPG
we soon reached the col to be greeted by a great view of the Dollywagon Pike ridge then a easy short scramble up to the summit
P1000137.JPG
P1000141.JPG
First arrivals on Dollywagon Pike
with the wind now really blowing we didn't stop for long moving onto High crag
P1000142.JPG
from there it was across the flat plateau to the summit of Nethermost Pike and then a easy climb up to the summit of Helvelyn
P1000144.JPG
From there myself and Jimmy headed over to Swirral edge
P1000146.JPG
Scrambling down Swirral edge
to bag Catsycam as Jimmy hadn't done it before the other members of the party decended down the head wall to Striding edge with the clag now well down we cut back across Red Tarn
P1000148.JPG
Red Tarn
to the hole in the wall to meet up with the others after a rather a long wait :lol: which gave me time for some nervous phone calls to see how Liverpool were doing against city VICTORIOUS :D :D :D :D the others arrived and we headed off along side the wall to Birkhouse Moor our final summit of the day
P1000151.JPG
then a straight forward decent down to the
P1000154.JPG
well it would be rude not to a perfect end to a great day with great company and thanks to Anthony for arranging the walks hope to meet up with you all again in the future
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:20
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Lakes Meet Up

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Everyone who came had an excellent day, Darren. Thanks to Anthony (john kay's left leg) for having the idea. Emily, Pam and Trudie all enjoyed the company. For Emily and Trudie, it was their first time on Striding Edge. Emily would have been disappointed if the wind had been worse and forced us onto an alternative route; 'the edge' was something she'd really wanted to do, and she loved it. For Trudie, it was a big step up in dealing with exposed situations, and she coped really well.

I'm glad you and Jimmy enjoyed Swirral Edge and Catstycam, while the rest of us had our own little adventure and made you wait!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby hutchy1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi Simon glad the ladies had a great time on Striding Edge and gained a bit of confidence on the exposure side
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:20
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi Darren, good to see pics of what was a great day, just got back from the Lakes after climbing Scafell Pike from borrowdale and then back via the corridor route on a glorious day. Unfortunately it was perhaps a walk too far for Hughie's paws and there was much carrying in the way back down. Thanks all for coming and making a great day that will hopefully be repeated some time in the future. I'll be doing my own report of the weekend but given how many pics I took today that may be some time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Ibex » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Gutted that I couldn't make this. Really wanted to but was stuck at work and then had to go to a function with the wife.
I was actually sat at this meal thing getting bored and I started day dreaming about the hills.

I needed to bag a load of these hills too, so that makes it extra galling.
Looks like you all had a great time. :) Hopefully I will be able to make another meet up. Would have been nice to meet people (and Hughie of course) and have a few pints and a chat about just how JKLL takes such good photos.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Ibex wrote:Gutted that I couldn't make this.

It's a pity you couldn't make it, Ibex. My friends weren't impressed about having to get up "so early" to get to Glenridding for 9 a.m. when travelling up from Wakefield and Huddersfield. Maybe if you'd come up from Oxfordshire, that would have put things in perspective for them :) .

I hope you get back to the hills soon.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Ibex » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:08 pm

To get to Glenridding for 9am, i'd have to be up at around 3:30am and leaving at about 4am.
i would have been happy to do that, but I ended up working that Saturday anyway and then had a meal thing to go to. annoying.
I would have been more than happy to get up at 3:30am. I will be getting up for work tomorrow at 4:50am anyway, so its not too much worse than a normal day.

Hoping to get to the hills another time soon. Hopefully mid way through May and boy do I need it!
Would kill for a wander up in the fells and a pint of Theakstons afterwards right now. :wink:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby stevesey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Ibex wrote:To get to Glenridding for 9am, i'd have to be up at around 3:30am and leaving at about 4am.
i would have been happy to do that, but I ended up working that Saturday anyway and then had a meal thing to go to. annoying.
I would have been more than happy to get up at 3:30am. I will be getting up for work tomorrow at 4:50am anyway, so its not too much worse than a normal day.

Hoping to get to the hills another time soon. Hopefully mid way through May and boy do I need it!
Would kill for a wander up in the fells and a pint of Theakstons afterwards right now. :wink:

Ibex - 3:30am - are you stopping for a cooked breakfast on the way? Or is that to allow for taking the wrong turn ;-)
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122

Postby pamfox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Had a great time and there was something for everyone in that walk. Got to say I was a little on the tired side going home! We met a good bunch of people with a good sense of humour. You need one when its that cold and windy :)
pamfox

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:133   

Postby Ibex » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Thats allowing for breakfast and some traffic. I did once drive past Britains strongest man, at 4am in Cheltenham, on the way up to Scotland.

No morning is too early for getting to the mountains for me. :)
Ibex
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland