walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a'mhaim a Springers dream

Carn a'mhaim a Springers dream

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 12/04/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 648m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first report, if im being honest it is all about the dogs as if it werent for them i'd still be in bed. Well it merited a night on the peeve on the Sunday after since the missus was away :crazy:
Started at Linn of Dee, walked towards the main drag into Derry Lodge throught the woods, new electric fence been put up since i was there two years ago (funny/not funny story bout that later).
photo 2.JPG

Hope this works, nice rainbow towards Derry Lodge
photo 3.JPG

Still a nice enough Day for Roy to go paddling (Loonie)
photo 7.JPG

Anyone know why this key is placed in the bark of this tree beside the crossing of Luibeg Burn?
photo 6.JPG

Onwards over the bridge we went, sheltered while 5 minutes of hail steens went over us and then cut the path out and headed upwards as the prolonging of the agony does my nut in :roll:
photo 8.JPG

Roy peering over, he always checks im still coming as he rushes off ahead (summit fever ken) A nice guy tolds us the wind was a mare coming over the Lairig Ghru so we cut over the rocks and it turned out to be harder than thought. Ah wheel, wind hit us when at the top but dogs raced on ahead, 1-0 them, but who's counting :wink:
photo 9.JPG

Took some good photo's on the summit and got great views into the Cairgorms, Cairn Toul and Braereach and Ben Macdui. My family is from Boat of Garten so i'd have loved if Macdui was the tallest but got family in Connaglen beside Fort William so loyalties divided between that and the Ben now!! Nothing beats Glencoe in my opinion, Bidean all the way :clap:
Basically retraced our steps, passed lots of Duke of Edinburgh groups, wish i'd done that at School, dad guides groups and always been meaning to give something back but like everything having fun gets in the way!! Carrots at the top, got the idea from Dog Plodder, cheers, keep the good reports up!!
photo 14.JPG

The wee one going over the Luibeg bridge, Lochy is only 8 months and was so chuffed how well he did, he's a lot more tame than Roy who's 15 months, but is coming out his shell slowly, next report he'll be scrapping with unicorns!
Met a couple guys from the RSPB on the way down, very opinionated on birds, this aint a debating site though so my opinions will stay mine. Nice enough guys.
photo 23.JPG

I think thats the path off to right there for Derry Cairngorm (Never done it) so not 100% but it goes in the correct direction.
Only saw 2 bikers today, from the reports i've read there is nromally the tour de Corrour over the weekend but we never saw anymore than the pair. I'd like to try a cycle in, more for the way back but my Dad has engrained it in to me to be a purist if there is such a thing. Dads eh.....
The loonies still got energy to burn, busy in the heater getting as much ticks as possible!! Had a cracking day, usual 4 seasons in one day but enjoyed nonetheless, cant wait for summer, although we get married in August so it think Laura will have stuff for me to do most weekends, can't complain as she put's up with me. More reports to follow soon hopefully. BTW snow was few and far between so good news for the fair weather walkers, if there is such a thing!
Attachments
photo 21.JPG
Last edited by Beaner001 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Carn a'mhaim a Springers dream

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Shoot forgot the story about the fence, basically walking back and the dogs were needing me to through sticks, got near the electricv fence and i wasnt thinking and just through as stick along the fence, Roys OCD about things came out and he hared after it and somehow got in between the two sides of the electric fence, he then proceeded to get shocked off the fence then bark at it and then get shocked again, i never knew whether to laugh or cry, poor lad, he came out of in unscathed but it was irresposible of me, my head was on the car at this point, note to self, remember fences!! Think he forgave me when i gave them both a Pork bone when home!
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Great report and it looked like the dogs had a good walk..................nothing wrong with being a purist!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby electricfly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Great report! We did this one with the pack last Sep. Bracken our springer got bitten by an adder just on the path before Derry Lodge. At the time we thought she had managed to avoid a bite but near Carn a Mhaim summit we noticed her throat beginning to swell badly. She has since pulled through ok, but just be aware if you're back doing routes from Linn of Dee during the summer, this part of the country seems to be their favoured habitat. :shock:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Cheers Electricfly, i think i remember you mentioned this somewhere on WH and i came accross it, luckily we did not come accross any adders but im sure there is a fair chance my two would be bitten as both are very inquisitive (Typical Springers)and if the adders are breeding now they are likely to be more aggressive. Glad Bracken got through it, heard some stories where smaller dogs don't make it. Love the most recent photo's on Mutts on Munros Thread BTW :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby tall-story » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 am

:lol: Good stuff Beanner001 I remember when wee Fern got zapped on an electric fence for the first (and Last) time :crazy: She must have run the best part of a mile back to my house barking all the way :) Poor wee thing didn't have a clue what happened but she didn't go near that or any other low lying wires after that :wink:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm

tall-story wrote::lol: Good stuff Beanner001 I remember when wee Fern got zapped on an electric fence for the first (and Last) time :crazy: She must have run the best part of a mile back to my house barking all the way :) Poor wee thing didn't have a clue what happened but she didn't go near that or any other low lying wires after that :wink:

I think Roy will be the same Tall Story, hope the new pup Jura is coming along nicely, you'll both soon be up in the hills together :D
Cheers Gordie, wonder if i'll be able to resist the temptation to cycle in, especially when it comes to Ben Alder :shock:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Hey Beaner, not been on for a while then just happen to read your report and find I get honourable mention re carrots for mutts! My two would prefer steak to be honest. :wink: Nice pair of SSs you got there - look forward to hearing more from them! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:45 pm

dogplodder wrote:Hey Beaner, not been on for a while then just happen to read your report and find I get honourable mention re carrots for mutts! My two would prefer steak to be honest. :wink: Nice pair of SSs you got there - look forward to hearing more from them! :D

Yeah it was a god send on the summit as they did not bother my mate or I while we ate some sanners!! As soon as they'd finished they were over begging and nosing in amongst the bags! Blooming dugs, however would we have it any other way?? :wink:
Hopefully get another report up next week as gonna be over in Fort William for the Friday Holiday this week so fingers crossed for weather!
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland