walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Dodd, Watson's Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd, Raise, Hart Side

Great Dodd, Watson's Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd, Raise, Hart Side

Postby richardkchapman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Dodd, Hart Side, Raise, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson's Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Dodd, Raise, Stybarrow Dodd

Date walked: 14/04/2014

Time taken: 6.4

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1050m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_14-APR-14 181148.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My birthday today. Robert back at work revising, so it's just Lorraine, Sarah, Thomas, me and the dogs. Forecast looks good as we set off from the cottage intending to tackle the north end of the Helvellyn ridge. We are not sure whether we will get as far as Raise (though we would like to, as it's not likely to be easy to include in any future walk otherwise).

Setting off from High Brow cottage

The cottage we have rented for the week is a few yards from the start of the Old Coach Road, near Dockray.

Up the road towards the Old Coach Road

We set off up the road in high spirits. It's always nice to be able to walk "from the door" without having to drive anywhere first.

Start of the Old Coach Road

Old Coach Road

Lovely blue skies as we set off up the Old Coach Road, as far as the ford

On the Old Coach Road

At the ford we make a left turn and head up beside Groove Beck towards Great Dodd. The signpost claims it's 2.5 miles to Great Dodd from here.

Heading up Groove Beck

Wainwright describes this route as one of the easiest climbs in Lakeland, with gentle gradients throughout, but otherwise without merit.

He's right about the gradient, but I'm not sure I agree with him about the rest - it was boggy in places, but apart from that I found it pretty enjoyable. A real feeling of wilderness, with no other walkers to be seen, and skylarks loudly proclaiming their territories ever few yards.

From summit of Great Dodd

After Randerside the bogs subsided and the views improved, and before long we were at the top of Great Dodd. Great views in all directions.

From summit of Great Dodd

We didn't linger too long before setting off down towards Watson's Dodd

Heading down to Watson's Dodd

The ascent of Watson's Dodd from Great Dodd can hardly be called an ascent at all, with the tiniest of uphill required at the end. But despite the ease of access, the summit of Watson's Dodd is a pleasant-enough spot and teh views lovely.

View from Watson's Dodd

View from Watson's Dodd

View from Watson's Dodd

View from Watson's Dodd

View from Watson's Dodd

We headed on to Stybarrow Dodd - a little confusion about exactly which cairn was the summit. The path from Watson's Dodd leads confidently to the southern cairn, but looking back the northern one looked higher. We visited both to be sure, and ate our lunch in the wind shelter near the northern cairn.

We had made good time, the weather looked good, and it was clear that we could bybass Stybarrow Dodd on the return, so we decided that we would include Raise in the walk after all. The character of the ridge seems to change quite markedly at Sticks Pass, and the ascent to Raise from there was the first time we had walked on stone (rather than grass) since leaving the Old Coach Road). There was also a tiny patch of snow to be crossed.

Helvellyn, from Raise

The summit of Raise appears very suddenly when ascending from Sticks Pass - I thought it was just another cairn along the path until I got close enough to see the ground drop away behind it. Very satisfying after being fooled the other way by many false summits in the past.

Summit of Raise

From Raise we took the path back down to Sticks Pass, then branched right across the flank of Stybarrow Dodd towards Green Side.

We headed up and over the hause between Stybarrow Dodd and Green Side to pick up the path to Hart Side.

Heading down towards Hart Side

All easy walking from this point, gradually heading downhill.

From Hart Side we descended via Birkett's Fell and a very wet path to Dowthwaitehead, then a half-mile up the road (and uphill - never welcome at the end of a long walk) back to the cottage.

A great way to celebrate my birthday, and to reach my half-way point towards completing my 214 Wainwrights
Last edited by richardkchapman on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

Re: Great Dodd, Watson's Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd, Raise, Hart S

Postby stevesey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:55 pm

A good looking route, nice day for some views . How busy has the parking at the start of the old coach road been the past few days?

Was a bit puzzled by the map - something seems to have gone wrong and the track is showing about 1.5km NE of where it should be!
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby richardkchapman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:50 pm

stevesey wrote:A good looking route, nice day for some views . How busy has the parking at the start of the old coach road been the past few days?

Was a bit puzzled by the map - something seems to have gone wrong and the track is showing about 1.5km NE of where it should be!

I didn't pay that much attention to the parking at the Old Coach Road, since we had our own parking at the cottage - there were usually a few cars there but I don't know if it was full.

I don't know what has happened to the route - I'll re-download it from the GPS and see if I can work it out!
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Postby richardkchapman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Correct GPX track now posted. I don't know what I did on the other one - must have been when I was cleaning up a couple of rogue points...
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Yet to do these fells, looks like an easy but long day, fine report as always
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland