walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Fantastic Day Above Glen Lyon

A Fantastic Day Above Glen Lyon

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:11 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 18/04/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 1537m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having not topped a munro since November last year, due to a combination of atrocious weather, chronic lack of fitness and probably also laziness, I was determined to get out this weekend. The weather forecast promised stunning weather all weekend, even the MWIS agreed.

I settled on the Carn Mairg group above Glen Lyon, having previously failed to even get started there in November due to the access routes being blocked. My other half, Anne/Happy Snapper joined me, and we duly set off for the wonderful Glen Lyon after only just resisting the urge to throw the alarm clock through the window at 5am.

We got to the wee car park down from the phone box early, so there were plenty of spaces. The Estate seem to have relented on access issues, having provided a waymarked alternative path which meets the main path shortly afterwards. Just turn left from the car park and it's a new gate about 50 yards along the road. The path heads briefly through the woods, with some blown-over-trees providing a short and semi-amusing obstacle course, before emerging into the open. It's simply a case of following the path along by the Invervar Burn.

It's not long before the views improve.

Carn Mairg Munros (1 of 23).jpg
Looking back down towards Invervar

The walk continues to the rickety metal bridge, where a couple of burns converge. It's a nice wee spot.

Carn Mairg Munros (3 of 23).jpg
Rickety Bridge

This was fast becoming a terrific day. No wind and barely a cloud in the sky. It was still a wee bit chilly but a cracking morning nonetheless. There were a hell of a lot of planes about overhead, no doubt ferrying people abroad to be sunburned to an even greater degree than we were about to be.

Carn Mairg Munros (4 of 23).jpg
Aircraft

The path continues on for a short while then a sign points you up a wee slope to the very edge of the forest. We stopped just after this at an old shieling and had some fruit. From here we could see what was to come, Carn Gorm and An Sgorr up ahead, and Creag Mhor was also visible.

Carn Mairg Munros (5 of 23).jpg
Carn Gorm

After a short break we set off up the ridge of Creag Ghlass, stopping frequently to admire the fabulous views of the Lawers range.

Carn Mairg Munros (10 of 23).jpg
Lawers range

Carn Mairg Munros (9 of 23).jpg
Back down to Glen Lyon

There were a few big patches of snow sitting, but almost all of it was nice soft stuff. If this weather carries on, it won't be around for long. Anyway, the walk up Carn Gorm is a minor slog, but the views were tremendous so we didn't really notice. Eventually the summit plateau and small cairn was reached. After a few photos we sat and had a bite to eat, taking in the terrific views all around.

Carn Mairg Munros (1 of 1)-2.jpg
Summit of Carn Gorm

Carn Mairg Munros (11 of 23).jpg
Glen Coe

Carn Mairg Munros (12 of 23).jpg
Carn Gorm NW Ridge towards Loch Rannoch

After a short while, it was time to get going. We dropped down off the summit and followed the path, bypassing the top of An Sgorr and crossing a couple of snowfields before reaching the start of the short pull up to Meall Garbh. The fenceposts would be a hugely useful navigational aid in bad conditions.

Carn Mairg Munros (14 of 23).jpg
Fenceposts on the pull up to Meall Garbh

The summit cairn is hilariously awful. Anne wasn't overly impressed with the design.

Carn Mairg Munros (15 of 23).jpg
Meall Garbh summit

It's a pretty horrific mess, and slots neatly in second place behind The Cairnwell in the "Crap Summits I have Been on So Far" chart. On the plus side, it's got a nice view of Schiehallion. We took a short break here before heading for the longish walk to Cairn Mairg via a couple of minor tops. This was a bit of a slog, especially up to Meall 'Bharr. However, the long grassy ridge between this top and the munro is a nice wee walk.

Carn Mairg Munros (17 of 23).jpg
Grassy Ridge to Carn Mairg

Soon the craggy face of Carn Mairg came into view. I can see why people aren't too keen on heading straight off it to Creag Mhor. :lol:

Carn Mairg Munros (18 of 23).jpg
Carn Mairg

After a relatively quick pull up to the summit cairn from the grassy ridge, we were on the third munro of the day, which gave Anne her 10th munro. This gave her a bit of a boost as she was somewhat shattered by this point, on what was by far her longest outing on the hills. :clap:

Carn Mairg Munros (19 of 23).jpg
Double Figures!

After a well-earned scran-stop, we took the sensible detour off the hill towards schiehallion, down another couple of fun snowfields and headed down to the bealach on a fairly obvious path. We slowly trudged up the final munro, Creag Mhor. Anne was almost wiped out by now, but was determined to do all four and after a while we made the summit cairn, nicely situated on a rocky tor.

Carn Mairg Munros (21 of 23).jpg
A reluctant summit pose on Creag Mhor

Demolishing the remaining cheese-related goodies for lunch we reluctantly got to our feet and started the long, long descent. To attain the path, head roughly west and it's soon picked up. The path is pretty clear all the way down the SW ridge, and not so horrifically steep that it'll ruin the knees. It just seems dead long after a long hot day on the hills.

We eventually made the forest path for the short walk back to the car.

This was a hugely enjoyable day out, although it took a lot longer than expected due to numerous photo stops and just chilling out and enjoying the day.

The one downside of course was our failure to consider sun cream. We were both absolutely fried, and i'm now sitting, typing this with an extremely red face and neck, and unable to turn my head without serious pain :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: A Fantastic Day Above Glen Lyon

Postby kev_russ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:09 pm

braw just braw 8)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jdmoore » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Nice report + photos. I passed you both early on yesterday just after the wooded area before Carn Gorm.

It was a cracking day wasn't it! And that view of the Ben Lawers group was superb.

David
jdmoore
Mountain Walker

Munros:80   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Some great photos JP :D And well done Anne in hitting double figures :clap:

Glad to hear that access issues seem to be improving for these four, as they're good hills
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Nice one John & as usual some fantastic photo's :clap: :clap:

It's a few years since I was in Glen Lyon, don't remember that summit being in that state :shock:

Well done to Anne, 10 hours out in the sun is a long day, I am expecting something similar tomorrow, will be taking my factor 30 :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby riverlodge » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 pm

used to live just round the corner from this round, so been on the hills plenty times but never seen any better pics. supremely jealous of your day!
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 pm

jdmoore wrote:Nice report + photos. I passed you both early on yesterday just after the wooded area before Carn Gorm.

It was a cracking day wasn't it! And that view of the Ben Lawers group was superb.

David

I wondered if we'd bumped into any Walkhighlanders :lol:

It was a perfect day weather-wise. The view from Carn Gorm was particularly good.

kev_russ wrote:
braw just braw 8)

Thanks Kev

PeteR wrote:Some great photos JP :D And well done Anne in hitting double figures :clap:

Glad to hear that access issues seem to be improving for these four, as they're good hills

Thanks Pete. They've put in a few marker poles, some new-looking gates and a couple of helpful signs. They're a fine set of hills :)

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one John & as usual some fantastic photo's :clap: :clap:

It's a few years since I was in Glen Lyon, don't remember that summit being in that state :shock:

Well done to Anne, 10 hours out in the sun is a long day, I am expecting something similar tomorrow, will be taking my factor 30 :lol:

Thanks Martin. Take Factor 50 :lol:

I'd have joined you were it not for my lack of mountain bike, and crippling sunburn.

riverlodge wrote:used to live just round the corner from this round, so been on the hills plenty times but never seen any better pics. supremely jealous of your day!

Lucky you :D

It's a beautiful area
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 am

Cracking day, well done. Amazing views in all directions. :clap:
I too am sitting red faced after forgetting sun cream on a beautiful day in Glencoe. :lol:
A real incentive to get those four done now. Thanks.
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:48 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Cracking day, well done. Amazing views in all directions. :clap:
I too am sitting red faced after forgetting sun cream on a beautiful day in Glencoe. :lol:
A real incentive to get those four done now. Thanks.
Chris

Thanks mate. Which hills were you on?

We had a wee view of Glen Coe from the top of Cairn Gorm.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland