walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Friday, My Perfect 10.

Great Friday, My Perfect 10.

Postby hooter2014 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arnison Crag, Birkhouse Moor, Birks, Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Helvellyn, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 18/04/2014

Time taken: 6.35

Distance: 21.9 km

Ascent: 1850m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday the 14th April and all I have to look forward to this week is 4 long nightshifts where I struggle to stay awake during the night and struggle to stay asleep during the day. I wonder if I could squeeze a little trip to the Lakes in on Good Friday, that would give me something to look forward to and make the week just about bearable. Well if I can what should I do, Great Gable maybe, the 2 times Iv'e been up it I couldn't see more than 20m due to snow and mist. I'll have a think tonight.

Tuesday the 15th. I fancy Helvellyn, but maybe I could do a couple, if I can get away from work a bit early on the Friday morning. Hint dropped to the boss that night who seems amenable if we aren't too busy.

Wednesday the 16th. I really struggled to stay awake last night in the wee small hours and possibly due to the state my brain was in came up with a rather ambitious plan to do a "10 peaker" on Friday.

Thursday the 17th. So the plan rests on this next conversation with the boss... YYYESSS early finish!!

Friday the 18th. Finished work at 3 am then straight to bed, up at 830 am, drove over from Newcastle and the roads were nice and quiet, parked up opposite the Patterdale Hotel ( just about managed to squeeze the car into the car park!) at 1030 am, sorted out my kit and started about 15 mins later. I already knew it was going to be a great day, as I was yet to see a cloud in the sky. :clap:

And so it began, Arnison Crag being the first just to get the legs moving and a bit of a sweat on the brow.

P1010370.JPG
The first view and what a way to start, Ullswater from Arnison Crag.

P1010373.JPG
Nethermost Pike, Helvellyn, Striding Edge and Catstyecam from Birks.

Now the first two were out of the way I was fully warmed up, well sweating like a pig to be honest :? and I knew it was only going to get hotter and harder from then on. Onwards and upwards as they say, so time for St Sunday Crag. It was a relatively easy walk, I took a left towards Gavel Pike and then cut up to the Cape and the peak of St Sunday Crag.

P1010380.JPG
Fairfield from St Sunday Crag, first clouds but what a view to compensate.

P1010383.JPG
Is it just me or are the rocks laughing at you as you scramble up the Northen side of Fairfield, round about Cofa Pike.

P1010386.JPG
Grisedale Tarn, Dollywaggon Pike, Nethermost Pike with Helvellyn in the background extreme right and Great Gable to the extreme left.

P1010387.JPG
Just about to the top of Fairfield, a great view back to St Sunday Crag.

P1010391.JPG
Windermere and Coniston, I would have quite happily jumped in the middle of either at this point!

P1010396.JPG
Looking at the Western Fells from the top of Fairfield.

Grisedale Tarn looked inviting, but if I was going to do the 10, I wanted to stick to my plan. It was a bit of a toe and shin hurter descending towards Hause Gap from the top of Fairfield, but I didn't envy those going in the opposite direction, my own nightmare ascent was about 30 mins away, I just didn't realise at the time or I might not have made as many jokes with those I passed!

P1010397.JPG
Plunge pool?

P1010400.JPG
Fairfield and St Sunday Crag from the top of Seat Sandal.

Stood on top of Seat Sandal looking over to Dollywaggon Pike I saw a group coming down its southern side, by the old wall, hmm I thought to myself, :wink: that looks a bit steep...

P1010402.JPG
Yep, nice view but it is rather steep...
:?

P1010405.JPG
Yeah, really feeling this climb in the legs!! As you know the camera never really tells the steepness story
:(

P1010408.JPG
Made it to the top of Dollywaggon PIke, really glad to take a breather and soak in the view down Grisedale towards Ullswater, whilst stood on the tip of The Tongue. Views like this make all the effort worth it.

P1010411.JPG
Nethermost Pike with Helvellyn behind, the shelter just about visible.

P1010417.JPG
Helvellyn (my favourite hill) from Nethermost Pike.

P1010414.JPG
Top of Nethermost Pike (not the most inspiring I have to say) but the view to Striding Edge with Catstyecam in the background makes up for it a bit.

P1010422.JPG
Hellvellyn, a quick 5 minute break to savour the views, firstly Swirral Edge, my route off.

P1010423.JPG
Striding Edge, not today though, I'll save you for the next time.

P1010428.JPG
A look back up Swirral, very little snow left, just a tiny bit of slushy stuff when you first leave the top, easy enough to negotiate.

P1010432.JPG
Red Tarn and Striding Edge, with a few I'd previously breezed up ( Yeah Right!! ) in the background.

P1010433.JPG
Birkhouse Moor (number 10) with Ullswater behind, from the top of Catstyecam.

P1010436.JPG
Bye Bye baby, I'll be back.

P1010440.JPG
Birkhouse Moor, my perfect 10, I was smiling like a Cheshire cat, so only one thing left to do...
:D

P1010442.JPG
My very first selfie, well first on the web! I was happy, honestly! The camera obviously does lie from time to time.

So that was it My Perfect 10 on "Great Friday" I was knackered but all the same elated. It was now just a pleasant trot down the wall, a rather clumsy clamber over it, a scramble down the hillside, then onto the path down towards Brownend Plantation, over the bridge near to the kennels and along the road by Grassthwaite Howe to the A592 and back to the car around 520 pm. After getting changed I had a well deserved drink in the Hotel and a pleasant drive East in the evening sun back to Newcastle.

Good Friday turned into Great Friday with what has to be said was both my hardest and best day in the Lakes ever.

What a day. :D
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Great Friday, My Perfect 10.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:02 pm

An excellent first report and quite a yomp amongst the fells, no wonder you were somewhat tired.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Great Friday, My Perfect 10.

Postby hooter2014 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Yeah it was a spectacular day. The sore legs were a small price to pay.
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland