walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sannox-Cir Mhor-Caisteal Abhail- Sail an Im horseshoe

Sannox-Cir Mhor-Caisteal Abhail- Sail an Im horseshoe

Postby ridgerunner » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Caisteal Abhail, Cìr Mhòr

Date walked: 20/04/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1154m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

cir_mhor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Now that i've retired, thought i would try a new circuit on Arran.
Have usually combined climbing Cir Mhor from the saddle , having walked up glen Sannox , followed by circuiting down the north sannox ridge. This ridge always takes a long time, i have never had the courage to try the Witches step scramble and i dont like the heavily eroded descent from Suidhe Fhearghas.
So thought i would descend from Caisteal Abhail via Sail an Im instead.
Glorious start to the walk up glen Sannox with perfect weather, Cir Mhor in the distance.
2014-04-20 001.jpg
glen sannox

No wind at first and dry and hot.
2014-04-20 004.jpg
Cir Mhor finally getting closer

Pleasant breeze ascending to the Saddle between Cir Mhor and north goat fell with great views around.
2014-04-20 005.jpg
hazy view of descent from North Goat Fell

2014-04-20 006.jpg
across to witches step

2014-04-20 008.jpg
looking down to the saddle and across to north GF

Having more time today decided to scramble up to the top of Cir Mhor rather than go up a grass gully and approach from behind. Initially offputting seeing some climbers on the left buttress [just visible]
2014-04-20 010.jpg
climbers

Was deciding which way to scramble when joined by two of a group of walkers who also fancied the scramble and between us managed an enjoyable scramble and got there a lot faster than the traditional route.
2014-04-20 011.jpg
straight up

After lunch at the top dropped to the permanently windy col then walked up to Caisteal Abhail.
2014-04-20 012.jpg
view back to Cir Mhor

Could now see the new planned descent over to Sail an Im.
2014-04-20 014.jpg
rough Creag Dhubh in the centre with Lochranza in the distance behind it

2014-04-20 015.jpg
Sail an Im to the right of Creag Dhubh with green forest behind its top.

I was surprised to find this descent was pathed all the way to the North Sannox burn where a very heavily engineered smooth path takes over and follows the burn to the roadside . This is a pleasant spot to wait for the bus.
Overall very happy with this new route and got great views of the north sannox ridge from a new perspective.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: Sannox-Cir Mhor-Caisteal Abhail- Sail an Im horseshoe

Postby hendry670 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for posting this report - planning a trip to Arran in the coming days so it's great to get a current report on conditions on Cir Mhor.
hendry670
Munro compleatist

Munros:50   Corbetts:15
Fionas:10   Donalds:29
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:32 pm

nice one, bottled out of cir mhor last weekend :(
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby litljortindan » Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 pm

You've got some great pictures there that really evoke the feel of the place. Was on part of your route the day before you. The easy bit! Took my wife along the witch's step ridge the year after we got married and only then discovered her comfort level with scrambling. Never mind, we do still occasionally go walking together!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland