walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some more Achnashellach hills

Some more Achnashellach hills

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Route description: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr, Maol Chean-dearg

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 18/04/2014

Time taken: 18.5 hours

Distance: 60 km

Ascent: 3100m

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Friday 18 and Saturday 19 April 2014
Time taken: 18.5hrs (including stops 5hrs) approx
Distance: 60km (approx) – walking, cycling and pushing bike
Ascent: 3,100m (approx)
Attendees: me

Friday: Lurg Mhor and Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich

Left Glasgow sharpish on the Friday morning – uneventful drive up the A82 with some nice views in the early morning sunlight.

Arrived at the Attadale car park to find a camper van already parked. Turned out to be a walker from Glasgow I’d met on a previous set of hills - we remembered meeting on the hills (going in opposite directions) and that there was a large car park but neither of us could remember which hills or which car park. Another walker (from Nottingham) turned up not long afterwards. I set off first on the bike closely followed by the Nottingham walker – didn’t take long before he caught up though explaining that he cycles to work each day (that was my excuse anyway).

There’s quite a lot of ascent on the bike – coupled with a fairly loose surface necessitated getting off and pushing on a number of occasions.

Early view of the day’s hills

Bridge

Bendronaig

Met the guy from Nottingham not long after the bothy as he was securing his bike – he was planning to ascend the shoulder of Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich. I cycled on, crossed the wee bridge and up to Loch Calavie. More uphill with some pushing again, not sure it was the best idea to cycle this bit.

Arrived at the edge of Loch Calavie, secured the bike, changed out of cycling shoes into boots and headed up to the bealach at the side of the Allt Coire Calavie.

Once at the bealach, opted to head for Lurg Mhor first

Up past a wee lochan

Some good views at the top

Still a lot of snow on the north face

Towards Sheasgaich

After a short break, headed off back down to the bealach before the ascent to Sheasgaich with view towards Loch Monar. Met the other walker from Glasgow at this point – he was about to ascend Lurg Mhor before going to Sheasgaich.

Back to Lurg Mhor

Dropped down a wee bit from the summit to get out of the wind. Another walker appeared and stopped for a chat. Had a good long stop to take in the views and have lunch before heading back down to the bealach then down to the bike at the loch side.

Back over the wee bridge

Then the long cycle back to the car. More ascent on the return leg – met two men walking in to the bothy followed by two lady corbetteers also heading to the bothy.

Saturday: Maol Chean-Dearg and An Ruadh-stac

Parked at the wee car park just over the bridge from Coulags. Was just about to set off when I heard a rustling noise in the undergrowth then two small animals bolted past me and across the road. Not long after another two did the same. Don’t know what they were – maybe stoats but seemed bigger than that ?

Set off early up the track from Coulags

Past a memorial which seemed to be discolouring the rock into which it was set

The bothy came into view

Peered in the window and saw someone fast asleep in a sleeping bag so decided not to go in in case I disturbed them.

Headed onwards up the track before the point when it splits and I went west. Maol Chean-Dearg comes into view

Followed the track up past Meall nan Ceapairean

Better view of Maol Chean-Dearg

Kept going until arriving at the bealach. View to An Ruadh-stac

Turned right and headed up Maol Chean-Dearg

And kept going

Rockier near the top before getting to the cairn. Some good views if a bit hazy

[Image

Waited a while but the haze wasn’t going to clear. Headed back down to the bealach with view towards An Ruadh-stac

Walked round to the base looking over the lochans

Back to Maol Chean-dearg

An Ruadh-stac did look a bit daunting but managed to find a way up – hands needed for some bits

Views on the way

A little snow near the top

Over some more snow patches to the summit cairn

Took some shelter from the wind beside the cairn and stopped for lunch. Sun was very warm and have to admit to dozing off. Must have spent nearly an hour there before eventually leaving somewhat reluctantly.

On the descent, I tried to find an alternative way down slightly to the south of the ascent route. Several times got to points where I couldn’t go on safely so eventually had to give in and go back up and over to find where I’d ascended.

Back down to the lochans

Instead of going up and over Meall nan Ceapairean I skirted round the base of it after finding a wee track from the bealach.

Back to An Ruadh-stac

The track disappeared after a while but it wasn’t difficult to contour round then head east down to the bothy. Popped in and added a note in the book. Then walked back to the car. Met another walker and quite a few mountain bikers.

Got changed before the drive back to Glasgow. Stopped for some photos on the way home.

Attadale 18apr2014 activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Coulags 19apr2014 activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Some more Achnashellach hills

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Fantastic photos and report. What a great two days you had! I just missed you by a day :lol: Aren't these lochans below An Ruadh-stac just the best?
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:52 am

Bonnie :clap: :clap: You're closing in now a bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:28 am

Brilliant. Two cracking days you got. :clap:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mr_ash_37 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 am

Wow superb! Cracking pics
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 am

Hey - that was a close escape - same hills (BaCS & LM), same day but from different routes in - we came in from Bealach Bhearnais and would have been on BaCS about 3ish, sorry to have missed you :roll:
Great pics! What a fab weekend
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 pm

AnnieMacD wrote: I just missed you by a day :lol:
weaselmaster wrote: same hills (BaCS & LM), same day but from different routes in
:roll: it's becoming habit forming - I seem to keep missing people by a day or two.....one day it'll work maybe :wink:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 pm

I new you would be out when I saw the forecast. Some of us sensible folk are waiting till it breaks before going out. :lol:

Cracking photos
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 pm

Perfection :D . That track to Bendronaig is great fun on the bike.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby bowzi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi RH,

Well met again! :D

I've taken a look back as I barely post so it was easy to see that it was on the Sgurr Na Ciche trio that I was doing when you were putting in your epic shift that we met going in opposite directions.

Back to Lurg Mhor and it's cakey neighbour.....tough going in with the bike but the downhill cycle out made it worthwhile! 8) Satmap had me at 41.6km max speed :shock:

Had to forego the planned days walking as I couldn't put any weight on my foot, tendon was sprained but a trip to the hospital on Skye sorted me for some Cocodamol so that I could push through the pain barrier. Managed A'Mahaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor on the Sunday (a 51km epic) then followed that up with Seana Bhraigh via the North ridge (well dodgy) on the Monday anoth 30km+ bike/hike effort.

Following that collective of 5 remote Munros my knee finally gave up the ghost and I was forced to return to Glasgow on the Tuesday...

Good to see you again!
Mark
bowzi
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:1   Donalds:3

Postby soapy27 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Great report and photos Rockhopper :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Silverhill » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Fantastic rockhopper! What a great two days you had. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Another RH cracker from the very top drawer you raise the bar evrytime you venture out .
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Clach Liath » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 am

It's a long time since I have been in these hills - so thanks for triggering my memories of some great times there - particularly those of Lurg Mhor and Sheasgaich. :D
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Must be getting to that time of year again when Rockhopper starts putting in some big epic shifts! 8)

A seriously fine set of photos there RH on what looks like it was a bit of a hotspot for WH activity over the weekend. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland