walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unfinished business in Assynt

Unfinished business in Assynt

Postby kmai1961 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 18/04/2014

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This adventure, and the aftermath of it, was tame, compared to the recent and now-infamous hake heist; however, I can happily report that as of the Easter weekend, the Lochinver Larder (aka “The Pie Shop”) is now open for evening repast, as well as offering a fine selection of beverages from the Black Isle Brewery. :clap:

Because I’d chosen to do a low-level walk on the Saturday of the walkhighlands Inchnadamph meet, as enjoyable as that walk was, Conival and Ben More Assynt were staring me in the face, calling my name. I’d made it about halfway up Conival last year at the Easter holiday, but turned back when I reached the snow and ice line, as I didn’t have the gear to carry on under those conditions.

This year, the outlook was much different: Easter was a few weeks later, and by the time I drove past on Thursday evening, on my way to Lochinver, the tops were clear of all but the odd patch of lingering snow.

Friday morning, I started off briskly up the glen, knowing that my pace, as usual, would slow dramatically once I started gaining height. It seemed a long slog up to the hanging valley just before the bealach between Beinn an Fhurain and Conival, but the wee easy scramble up to it, and the opening-up views perked me right up, and it felt as though I reached the summit of Conival soon thereafter. My wristwatch told a different story: it had been 3-1/2 hours since starting. I stopped to take a few photos, then continued on my way.

the_first_wee_scramble.jpg
The first wee scramble, up to the hanging valley

rsz_1my_half_centenary.jpg
Conival, number 50 -- a long time in the making, but a fabulous journey, thus far

down_loch_assynt_and_out_to_sea.jpg
Down Loch Assynt and out to sea

what_lies_ahead.jpg
What lies ahead

I forgot to do a time check when I reached the summit of Ben More Assynt, but my guess is that it took me approximately another 1-1/2 hours. The ridge offered an enjoyable amount of up-and-downing, and some straightforward scrambling, including a bum-shuffle or two. (Bear in mind that I probably have a tendency to resort to “as many points of direct contact with the hill as possible” more quickly than the average walker. :roll: )

The pics that I took from the top of BMA are just plain bad, so you’re better off imagining the bright blue sky with high scattered clouds, and ah-may-zing 360-degree views across Assynt and Sutherland. There was a haze beginning to drift in from the west, a light wind, and a bit of a chill in the air, but I wouldn’t have asked for a better day, both weather- and view-wise.

done_and_dusted.jpg
Done and dusted!

The return journey back over Conival and down the glen was uneventful, except for a bit of slip-sliding across some steep muddy bits. I was shattered, and my feet hurt badly by the time I arrived back at Inchnadamph, but I was a happy girl who’d had a(nother) great day in the hills. :D
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Re: Unfinished business in Assynt

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Well done for returning, what a difference a few weeks make - snow wise :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Fantastic-looking (and sounding) walk and report. I'm with you on the 6 points of contact :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby kmai1961 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:59 am

AnnieMacD wrote: I'm with you on the 6 points of contact :lol:

Is that "1-foot, 2-foot, 3-hand, 4-hand, 5-cheek, 6-cheek" then? :)
kmai1961
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Wot, no hake!!!??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like you got a cracking day for tying up some loose ends though! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kmai1961 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Graeme D wrote:Wot, no hake!!!??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No hake, stolen or otherwise. But I have just realized that nearly all of my 10 WH posts manage to mention the pie shop (whoops, there's another one!). :lol:
kmai1961
Wanderer

Postby Silverhill » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Well done on your 50th and settling your business with these two. Onwards to 100! :D
Very nice pictures too. I haven’t progressed that far north yet, but I’m definitely looking forward to it now!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Glad to see your return trip and congratulations on the First 50 :clap: :clap:

Easter Sunday I was on Am Faochagach, thought about you and the others who did that trip on a claggy day a month earlier, your reports helped us to find yet another route up and we were rewarded with stunning views. Will post eventually :roll:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby kmai1961 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Glad to see your return trip and congratulations on the First 50 :clap: :clap:

Easter Sunday I was on Am Faochagach, thought about you and the others who did that trip on a claggy day a month earlier, your reports helped us to find yet another route up and we were rewarded with stunning views. Will post eventually :roll:

Thanks, guys! As I said, I am lovin' the journey, and all of its accompanying adventures and misadventures.

Huff_n_Puff, I look forward to seeing what it looks like from the top of Am Faochagach! :)
kmai1961
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland