walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wild camp high on the Galmadale Round

A wild camp high on the Galmadale Round

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:49 pm

Route description: Creach Bheinn & Fuar Bheinn: Galmadale round

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Morvern), Fuar Bheinn

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Cille

Date walked: 24/04/2014

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1500m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Galmadale Horseshoe: Beinn na Cille; Fuar Bheinn; Creach Bheinn

The forecast was finally looking good. For once the bad weather stayed away until the (Easter) weekend was over!!

I had last wild camped on the top of Creach Bheinn on the mainland (next to Beinn Sguliard) and decided that I would try and wild camp on the Creach Bheinn in Morven which was literally just over the water.

I left home around 11am and gave the ferry line a quick call to make sure the Corran Ferry was running to time and that I didn’t need to pre book tickets. I hadn’t thought of using the ferry until now and had been put of heading to these hill by a long drive via Fort Bill, however the ease and practicality of the Ferry proved very useful

Driving up through Glencoe, the hills looked amazing with snow still hanging onto the tops and filling the gullies. However with it being Easter weekend, nearly every car park was full and the Munros looked like they would have a busy weekend. I was hoping for some tranquillity on the Galmadale round. Visibility was superb and I was hoping this would be the same over in Morven. I was lucky when I reached the Ferry, literally driving straight on and being the last car on! Once off the Ferry the road down to Galmadale was amazing, albeit a little narrow when facing oncoming traffic (or sheep!). Sandy beaches, blue skies, sea and mountains, I was more than impressed and I hadn’t even started the walk!

I left the car park (plenty of space) around 15.30 and headed steeply up the east flank of Beinn na Cille to reach the southern shoulder. I must admit that after 2.5 hrs driving and a heavy pack on that I was feeling a little tied – however I took my time and plodded upwards – not needing much of an excuse to stop and take in the amazing views. Looking behind me I could see a family playing on the beach far below. I eventually reached the summit of the Graham and filled the tank up with a sandwich and some fluids. The weather was smashing and not much of a breeze. I could now see the two Corbetts ahead of me and decided that where ever I was, I would pitch up no later than 19.00 to give me time to get the camp set up and tea cooked! I had initially thought of a high camp near the Druim na Maodalaich to get views over Loch Linnhe, however as it turned out i didn’t make it that far!!

Anyway on I plodded and headed up the first Corbett of the round – Fuar Bheinn. The views up here from Beinn na Cille were fantastic – looking inland to Morven and Ben Resipol dominating the view… It was about 17.45 now and so I quickened the pace to try and at least get to Creach Bheinn for 19.00! The walk up Creach Bheinn was stunning. I kept as far east on the ascent to get views back into Glen Galmadale and the higher I got the better perspective of the corries I enjoyed. The ground dropped steeply back into the Glen, wouldn’t want a slip here!
I reached the summit for 19.00hrs and after a quick video, I decided to camp down at “The Camp”. An appropriately named spot (apparently an old Normandic look out post!). It is in a slight dip about 20 metres east of the summit. I thought it would provide a little shelter if the winds picked up in the night, and I also found a small spring around 50m north of “The Camp” which was useful for Tea and morning coffee!
Camp set and tea had- I then headed up to the summit for some sunset shots. Unfortunately a weather front was hanging just off the west coast so no spectacular sunsets were experienced – however sunrise was a different matter!

Looking across to Western Highlands

Imagea sunset by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

I headed back to the tent and experimented with a few night time shots with the new camera – still need a little practise but everything is a learning curve!

some night time shots:

Imagetent by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageScarp illuminated by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagema tent by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imageplaying with shutter speeds and headlights by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagea scarp and headlight by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

I had a good night’s sleep and woke about 0520, made some coffee and headed back to the summit where the sunrise was amazing! Soaking it in I eventually pulled myself away from the top and set about striking camp.

sunrise shots:

ImageDSC00872 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagea Sunrise loch Linnhe by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

I soon found myself on top of Meall nan Each and then walking down the Druim a Maodalaich
The walk up until this point had been fantastic with great views, however this eastern side of the horseshoe was amazing. The best was saved for last! The sea views and views back across to the mainland Munros were simply stunning… I would strongly recommend this route and not cutting it off because there are no Corbetts to be had- definitely one for a good day- an amazing walk back to the car… Bumped into some local deer and the feral goats on the descent and finally made it to the car about 0930am.

Way back shots:

ImageLOCH lINNHE by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageSmall Lochan by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageGlen Galmadale by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Met another walker who was just setting off at this point. A great walk and definitely one of the best horseshoe hikes I have done – simply awesome – keep it for a good weather day 
wilkiemurray

Re: A wild camp high on the Galmadale Round

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 pm

A cráicing round and usually very quite I'm lucky to look on these hills from the house

Great stuff ,btw the camp was to do with Scientific measuring for mapping back in the day according to the old folk ,it is a great spot

Enjoyed that

Think I 'll do a mid Summer on the summit :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Beautiful (and I haven't even watched the video)! I agree about the eastern arm of the horseshoe -one of the best bits :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 pm

A veritable cracker - that did look the place to be to avoid the hordes on the munros :crazy: Great sunrise shots - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 am

Collaciotach wrote:A cráicing round and usually very quite I'm lucky to look on these hills from the house

Great stuff ,btw the camp was to do with Scientific measuring for mapping back in the day according to the old folk ,it is a great spot

Enjoyed that

Think I 'll do a mid Summer on the summit :D

Thanks - interesting place - the camp - wonder how it looked when it's was in use..... Can recommend for summer solstice hike :)

PS jealous of your view - wish I could have a similar one - awesome:)
wilkiemurray

Postby scoob999 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:33 am

Another Excellent report, photos and video :clap: :clap:

Always worth the wait for your video's. very entertaining as usual :D

We've used the Corran ferry twice now, a very cheap way of getting to mull, through an area of outstanding beauty
keep up the wild camping, It's folk like you that save folk like me carrying tents uphill :wink: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:32 pm

malky_c wrote:Beautiful (and I haven't even watched the video)! I agree about the eastern arm of the horseshoe -one of the best bits :D .

Thanks Malky

- yeah - really really enjoyed the walk along and down the Druim - amazing sea views and a lofty position despite it being lower altitude than the rest of the walk! -
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:33 pm

rockhopper wrote:A veritable cracker - that did look the place to be to avoid the hordes on the munros :crazy: Great sunrise shots - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper - I was slightly disappointed with the sunset but the sunrise more than made up for it :)

nice to get a little solitude too - think my timing of leaving late and gettingback early helped too :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:35 pm

scoob999 wrote:Another Excellent report, photos and video :clap: :clap:

Always worth the wait for your video's. very entertaining as usual :D

We've used the Corran ferry twice now, a very cheap way of getting to mull, through an area of outstanding beauty
keep up the wild camping, It's folk like you that save folk like me carrying tents uphill :wink: :lol:

Thanks Scoob - the pack was certainly lighter than last time as there were no crampons, axes, winter gear etc etc :) - still a wee bit heavier than usual though :shock:
wilkiemurray

Postby bigkeith » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:24 pm

Great report. Sounds stunning. Hoping to get up there with the tent so your report is very helpful - I was thinking The Camp seemed a good place to stop :thumbup: .
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland