walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Strathfinella Maze in the haze

The Strathfinella Maze in the haze

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Strathfinella Hill

Date walked: 23/04/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started this walk from the Chapel in Auchenblae, taking the lane just before you enter the village. The lane leads to fields which are crossed via paths and joins the road near Upper Coullie. Once on this track we saw there was parking up here but it didn't take us long to get here from the village. We met a local out walking his dogs who gave us the history of Queen Finella. After our chat we continued up the track to a junction where we took the track to the right. We then took the first cycle route up through the trees until it appeared to head into more dense trees, here we took a faint path to the left. This led us to another junction and it was here we made our only mistake, taking the left rather than right. We continued down the left path till we reached another track where we realized we should have went right. We then headed back up and followed this path ignoring all paths off it. We then came to a track, which we followed to its highpoint and an opening to the right. Made our way along this when past a faint path to the left. I continued while The Pathfinder had a wee look through the trees of the faint path where he saw the trigpoint. We were delighted at how relatively easy the summit was to find. Getting back off the hill however proved more difficult. Rather than retrace our steps we decided to continue east on the track just off the summit. We followed this down and then came to more tracks which we decided to leave for a fainter one. We then had a deer fence to climb before crossing some fields and eventually ending up in Odmoston and a 3 mile road walk back to the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Strathfinella 017.JPG

Strathfinella 019.JPG

Strathfinella 020.JPG

Strathfinella 021.JPG

Strathfinella 022.JPG

Strathfinella 023.JPG

Strathfinella 024.JPG

Strathfinella 025.JPG

Strathfinella 026.JPG

Strathfinella 027.JPG

Strathfinella 028.JPG

Strathfinella 029.JPG

Strathfinella 030.JPG

Strathfinella 031.JPG
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: The Strathfinella Maze in the haze

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 pm

The word Crock springs to mind! I've been waiting for another report for this hill but I'm afraid this one doesn't appeal either, with that long road walk at the end all for a sub 2000er. There MUST be an easier way up this hill, and I think I know how I'm going to attack it sometime this year. Hopefully my plan will work, fingers crossed :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:14 pm

a mistake ?!! no like you to make mistakes on the hill :wink: :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:15 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:The word Crock springs to mind! I've been waiting for another report for this hill but I'm afraid this one doesn't appeal either, with that long road walk at the end all for a sub 2000er. There MUST be an easier way up this hill, and I think I know how I'm going to attack it sometime this year. Hopefully my plan will work, fingers crossed :lol: :lol:
If we had returned the way we went we wouldn't have had any trouble Rod but we thought we'd try a differant route back as it looked straighforward enough on the map :shock:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:16 pm

mountain thyme wrote:a mistake ?!! no like you to make mistakes on the hill :wink: :lol:
Aye the biggest one was when i started walking wi you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:
mountain thyme wrote:a mistake ?!! no like you to make mistakes on the hill :wink: :lol:
Aye the biggest one was when i started walking wi you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: is that because you dont like someone else taking charge :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland