walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Majestic views from Beinn na Lap

Majestic views from Beinn na Lap

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 20/04/2014

Distance: 8.32 km

Ascent: 571m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Third day on the trot up them hills, and so far not a spot of rain, some Easter break this! :D After a big day yesterday the order of the day was a nice slow easy dander up Beinn na Lap, a revisit to my Compleation Munro, which will no doubt bring back many happy memories. With none of the party having to leave before the 1830hr train many stops and breaks were had and the distant views made the most of. Having left all unrequired baggage in the tent to be picked up later we headed along the track towards Beinn a Lap which is on the West side of Loch Ossian

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
But first the view over Loch Ossian in the morning
2b.JPG
Wild camp site where all the bags etc not required for the climb was left
3.JPG
Unfortunately there is a lot of track work in progress just now for some mini hydro schemes which is requiring much hardcore metal for track upgrading and also much high power cabling being installed alongside many of the tracks on the estate at present
4.JPG
The feint path goes directly up the South slope of Beinn na Lap, this part is pretty wet and can be very slippy when coming back down off the hill so we avoided this coming off further to the East
5.JPG
Looking back down towards the Corbett Leum Uilleim done on the previous Friday. (Wondeful views from the top)
6.JPG
Higher up the South shoulder, traversing towards the East towards the summit ridge
7.JPG
The gradient flattens out near the summit ridge
8.JPG
View from the shelter seating area where we had one of our many breaks
9.JPG
Before you reach the summit cairn there is a distinct dip where there is a small lochan, we did not risk walking over it
10.JPG
View of Ben Nevis on the left from the bouldery summit
11.JPG
The group at the summit cairn
12.JPG
View looking towards Ben Alder and some of the hills climbed the day before with Loch Ossian in the foreground
13.JPG
View towards Meall na Lice which I fancied climbing in the afternoon, report to follow
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Majestic views from Beinn na Lap

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Brilliant weekend Rod and you definitely made the most of it.

The only walking I've done in this part of the world involved getting the train to Corrour and walking back to Rannoch Station - think I need to head back some time soon and do some hills.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Brilliant weekend Rod and you definitely made the most of it.

The only walking I've done in this part of the world involved getting the train to Corrour and walking back to Rannoch Station - think I need to head back some time soon and do some hills.

Hi Gordie, it was brilliant, and you must do that, pick good weather forecast, by the way NO MIDGES yet that's a very big plus if your camping. You have to go looking a bit for a camping spot with all the water hazards and all the roadworks/earthworks going on, seems to be the thing these days, new or improvements to existing ???? Big Saturday report still to report, better get on with it before I get off to Knoydart in a couple of weeks :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Yet another good informative report Rod :clap:
Was looking at that hill & thinking of catching the train from Crianlarich - will probably tackle it midweek in the near future, with a decent forecast of course :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Yet another good informative report Rod :clap:
Was looking at that hill & thinking of catching the train from Crianlarich - will probably tackle it midweek in the near future, with a decent forecast of course :lol:

Hi Martin, that sounds a good idea, the road to Rannoch Station is a pretty slow route especially around the Queens view area, I went home the Calvine Road a bit straighter and I think quicker. I reckon you might squeeze two out of the three hills in between trains. Might be pushed to get both Munro and Corbett done though! :( I'm still on a high about last weekends weather, even being told by the wife we needed a new boiler for the central heating did not detract too much from the weekends efforts :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:I reckon you might squeeze two out of the three hills in between trains. Might be pushed to get both Munro and Corbett done though! :( I'm still on a high about last weekends weather, even being told by the wife we needed a new boiler for the central heating did not detract too much from the weekends efforts :lol:

Thanks Rod will study the train times, maps and start planning :lol:
Good luck with the new boiler, they ain't cheap :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Grand views captured there RM
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:59 pm

scottishkennyg wrote:Grand views captured there RM

Thanks scottishkennyg What a superb weekend, makes you forget all the crap weather we have been getting over the winter. Hope you got out to take advantage as well :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Lovely picture over Loch Ossian. What type of tent is that Rod ?
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:57 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Lovely picture over Loch Ossian. What type of tent is that Rod ?

Hi there Theresa, it's a well used and misshapen Coleman Cobra, plenty of room for one with two side porches, will be using it again at Knoydart next weekend, never let me down so far :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland