walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lucky on Liathach

Lucky on Liathach

Postby GueVargas » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 19/04/2014

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ever had a mountain that when the first time you saw it in a magazine, drive by, or a movie you had to climb it? I was back in California hiking the John Muir trail with a couple of my buddies, and one of them pulled out a book one evening. The book was called Great Mountain Days in Scotland: 50 Classic hillwalking challenges. As we thumbed through the book that night, Liathac caught my eye. As soon as I got back home I couldn't wait to go on Google and take a closer look at this "Beast of Torridon." Fast forward many years later, and after a couple of failed attempts because of terrible weather, I was looking at this beast on Saturday morning...and what a site it was!

Here's a video of my walk
http://youtu.be/HwcDRwK-aK8

First glimpse of Liathac

I won't go into a detailed description of the traverse because I planned my walk from the many reports that are on this fantastic site. I'll let the pics do the talking. The pull up to the ridge is an expedition in itself.

At one point I thought that Liathac was going to get the best of me...but eventually I made it to the ridge proper and oh what views! Spidean a' Choire was looking glorious with just a bit of snow around the edges.

Looking back to Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig.

Once I made it to the top of Spidey, I got the first views of the main event...The Am Fasarinen Pinnacles

The pinnacles, although very airy, were pretty straightforward. Plenty of hand and foot holds for getting over them.

After the last pinnacle shown below, it's just a stroll up to Mullach an Rathain.

Once you are at the summit of Mullach an Rathain you are treated to most excellent views if the weather is good.

Beinn Alligin

Beinn Dearg and Carn na Feola with Beinn an Eoinn in the background

Beinn Eighe

Looking back at the traverse

I shot down to take a look at the Northern Pinnacles and they look difficult to say the least

Descended down the scree slope which was difficult on tired legs...but it was well worth it. As I got to the roadside and began my walk back to my car, a gentleman pulled over and offered me a ride to my car. This day couldn't have gotten any better! As I drove away I could only think of how lucky I was to finally have decent weather and bag this beast. Here was the last shot of the day.

GueVargas
Munro compleatist

Re: Lucky on Liathach

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Yup, lucky does sound a pretty good description - looks like you got a great day to enjoy this walk - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 pm

Wow! The pictures certainly do the talking. :clap:

Given a quarter decent forecast I plan to be up there this year.....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby GueVargas » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks fellas. Torridon is a most excellent place to wander through. Hope you all are doing well.
GueVargas
Munro compleatist

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland