walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin from Forsinard (9 days)

Beinn Alligin from Forsinard (9 days)

by Klaasloopt » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck, Ben More Assynt, Conival, Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisgein Mòr, Beinn an Eoin, Beinn Dearg Bheag, Beinn Dearg Mòr, Beinn Lair, Beinn Leoìd, Sail Mhòr

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Griam Beg, Ben Griam Mor

Date walked: 01/04/2014

Time taken: 65 hours

Distance: 191 km

Ascent: 10325m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beinn Alligin from Forsinard (9 days)

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 am

Glé mhath a bhalaich cord ruim gu dearbh .... great stuff I enjoyed that :clap: :clap:

There is a book in your adventures ille there really is :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 am

Glad you all liked it. It's a challenge and an honor to turn a walk into a good read.
I admit, it cost me some energy to avoid being grumpy about the weather and see the beauty all the same.

Fife Flyer wrote:Out of interest why did you decide you do this expedition in April, more challenging?

Alteknacker wrote:What made you do a long trek so early in the season? Are you terrorised by the wee beasties??? :lol:

Actually, this trip was done later than the last three trips. Snow is beautiful and fun, but I wanted to avoid the crampons, deep snow and last years cold, which was at my limit for camping and climbing. I liked the longer days, but yes, would like to avoid midges and especially ticks which I pick up easily tramping through ferns and shrubs. (worse: woollen socks, worn all day, in your sleeping bag)

malky_c wrote:There's some appeal to that northern bog. I have a couple of routes planned, but haven't been brave enough to do them yet. Did you start or finish on the 1st?

Ah, come on Malky, you've climbed Ben Armine haven't you? :wink:

And for the shoes: the answer is 'no stitching'. One piece leather boots with a rubber rand, or one piece mesh trainers (with a very strong mesh). I will place my bet on AltBerg Fremingtons for walking 1500 miles in one go.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 am

Pure Klaas...as always
Even the eggs get a mention as usual

Inspiring :clap:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue May 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Ah - I enjoyed reading that even more than last year's report - truly wonderful, inspirational writing and travelling.
2016 is too long to wait for another instalment!
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Essan » Tue May 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Excellent! And what an eccentric route :D Just imagine it in good weather (sorry :oops: )
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby londonwalker » Mon May 26, 2014 5:09 pm

Loved the report Klaas and photos, some wild country and weather you experienced there. Shame you missed the meet in that corner of the world too

On the footwear point I have a pair of lightweight boots from Brasher - superlite model. not the best in the world but they could be a compromise, the sole is not very deep so wear out a bit quick, however you can get a decent Vibram sole put on as a replacement from a company called LSR in Burnley, as long as the midsole is in good condition
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Klaasloopt » Thu May 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Essan wrote:Excellent! And what an eccentric route :D Just imagine it in good weather (sorry :oops: )

Thanks, I take the 'eccentric' as a compliment. And most important: the route is good, even in bad weather, luckily.

Londonwalker: I've set my eye on a pair of Altberg Fremingtons. Heavy, yes, but build to last.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:In 2015 I plan to walk to Rome (totally abstract thing to me right now).

Yup, it is still very abstract, but I am actually going on this 100-day walk to Rome. Will leave from my doorstep this february 23. The route will take me along the Rhine into Germany, across the Alps in Austria, down into Italy by way of South Tyrol and Garda, over to Bologna, through the Apennines to Assisi and the final 250k to Rome.

No need to say there's lots of things that could prevent me from finishing the trip. I'm spooked allright.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Postby ere1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:
Klaasloopt wrote:In 2015 I plan to walk to Rome (totally abstract thing to me right now).

Yup, it is still very abstract, but I am actually going on this 100-day walk to Rome. Will leave from my doorstep this february 23. The route will take me along the Rhine into Germany, across the Alps in Austria, down into Italy by way of South Tyrol and Garda, over to Bologna, through the Apennines to Assisi and the final 250k to Rome.

No need to say there's lots of things that could prevent me from finishing the trip. I'm spooked allright.

Good luck Klaas! Peter :wink:
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland