walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Splashing time in the Fannich's

Splashing time in the Fannich's

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Breac & A' Chailleach: Western Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Sgùrr Breac

Date walked: 11/04/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1127m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was always told never volunteer for anything, but being a bit daft I decided to volunteer to accompany David (kaiserstein) with his plans for his compleation. David has planned everything down to the finest detail, but as usual the good old Scottish weather has other ideas. We had originally planned to knock off the 2 western Fannich munro's on Saturday, but after checking every available weather forecast, things were looking good for starting the plan a day early. After numerous texts & PM's David decided to start his holidays early & went on bended knees to his boss. So we would head up and do the walk on Friday, which meant me changing my plans as I was planning to stop off at Achnasheen & stroll up Fionn Bheinn. So I was going to do that on Saturday instead. Great plan :lol: :lol:
So picked David up from Inverkeithing Railway Station at 7.30am & we then headed north arriving at the parking spot just before 10.30am. All was looking good, a bit blowy & cloud was hiding the summits, but we were still optomistic that the breeze would soon blow away the cloud :(

DSCF3618.JPG
A few other cars, but we only saw two other dafties braving the elements

DSCF3616.JPG

DSCF3615.JPG

So off we set along what looks like a recently laid path, just a shame the path didn't last for very long :(
Once over the bridge, the path then became a tad damp underfoot and there was no option of avoiding the dampness :shock:

DSCF3620.JPG
One of the few photo's taken before we hit the low cloud

DSCF3621.JPG
There is a summit up there somewhere

DSCF3622.JPG
David smiling, didn't last very long

DSCF3623.JPG
The way up

On the way up the ridge, extra layers were put on, taken off and finally put back on. A good excuse to stop and take a breather, not only from the climb but also from the conditions underfoot. As we reached about 1500' the weather took a turn for the worst, low cloud, visibility 50m at best and rain - YUK :(
David had come up with a cunning plan in an effort to make things easier, the plan was to walk as the per Walk Highlands route to the summit of Tomain Coinich, then head west to the summit of A'Chailleach in an effort to avoid the wind. The walk west seemed to be never ending, there appeared to be numerous false summits in the clag when one lifted one's head up. The wind and rain were relentless, we reached the summit and didn't hang around. After about 5 minutes on the descent we met another fellow sufferer who was approaching his second summit.
So it was down and then up back to Tomain Coinich, at times it really was a struggle, walking into the wind was like walking in slow motion. I could feel my feet starting to get wet, probably a mixture of the climb & water creeping down inside my gaiters. This was the first time I had experienced wet feet for quite a few years and it is not to be recommended :lol:

DSCF3624.JPG
David taking shelter from the brutal wind

DSCF3625.JPG
Conditions not pleasant

DSCF3627.JPG

The summit of Sgurr Breac was reached after a non stop monumental effort, David had to confirm we had reached the summit on his phone. As summits go it certainly wasn't anything special and didn't like it was worth all the effort :lol:
Once again, no hanging around, it was a straight turn around and head back towards Tomain Coinich.
The descent down the ridge from Tomain Coinich seemed never ending & we eventually dipped below the cloud, the descent at the end of the ridge came as quite a shock :lol: When I looked down I commented to David as to how steep it was and I was almost certain we didn't come up anything that steep. It was only the underfoot conditions that confirmed it. We both managed to lose our footing on numerous occasions, but managed to use our poles to stop us getting a dirty rear end. That was until near the bottom of the descent when the conditions got the better of David & he ended up on his rear :lol: :lol:
The descent for me was pure torture, my feet were sloshing around in my boots and I was looking forward to taking off my boots & 2 pairs of socks.
We finally got back to the car after 6 hours, we discussed if we had experienced worse conditions and that walk was certainly up there with one of the worst days in the hills :(
The bog factor in my opinion is by far and away the worst I have endured, I even mentioned that we would have been better wearing wellies :lol:
Good luck to David, hope your plans get back on track after the weekend :wink:
Sorry for the lack of photo's :lol:

DSCF3629.JPG
Ullapool fish supper, recommended by Rod, 2nd one in a couple of weeks for me!!
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Splashing time in the Fannich's

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Some great views there! I like the fish and chps too! Overall a great report, thanks for posting :) :clap:
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Good effort Martin! Bet that fish supper tasted Oh so good after a day like that. Weather back to the norm then! Rubbish :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 pm

The Rodmiester wrote: Weather back to the norm then! Rubbish :(

Unfortunately it looks that way Rod :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Good day there FF, I had the same wet experience and had to change into spare socks before the wet socks froze. The main Ullapool chipper is A1 and well worth a detour for anyone up in that direction.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby kaiserstein » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 pm

I really missed out not going to the chipper! Thanks for report Martin. Photos don't really do the weather justice!
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland