walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Western Fells Completed

North Western Fells Completed

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Causey Pike, Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Sail, Scar Crags

Date walked: 26/04/2014

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 970m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With our North Western fells bagging map all blue save for one annoying red balloon it was time to complete the book. We did a very similar route to this around five years back but as Hughie was merely a twinkle in his fathers black beady eye these where conveniently some more catch up fells for our beloved canine. With only Saturday available for a walk the forecast looked very grim at the middle of the week but a glimmer of possibility started to emerge for a better afternoon so we had some extra time in bed and headed over bit later than usual.
When we first approached the Lakes it was drizzly and grey but by the time we had parked up and got suited and booted the clouds where rapidly parting to give way to a fantastic afternoon that was just about perfect for walking :D
We must have been one of a very select group of walkers who set out for the day with Sail as there prime objective but as this was the one top in these fells that had eluded us so be it.
It was hardly a hardship to climb Causey Pike again as the route up Rowling end and then up the final (apparent) pyramid is hill walking heaven with some entertaining little scrambles interspersed with wonderful views and easy strolling along the ridge.

ImageRide On by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageStonycroft Gill by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Sun is coming out! by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageWho's that on my fell? by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCat Bells by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageNewlands by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCausey Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageTowards Dale Head by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Causey Pike is of course not a Pyramid but the distinctive end of a undulating ridge that heads east from Crag Hill's summit plateau. Next in line is the very aptly named Scar Crags before The Path comes into full view.

ImageCausey Pike View by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageWest from Causey Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageScar Crags by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie bagging Scar Crags by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

I've said before how I'm not a great fan of this path, to me it is simply an eyesore resembling a misguided public work of art more than a route up a hill. That said, it is well graded and OK to walk on and in reality has transformed Sail from an innocuous dull hill with an ugly scar up its side to an innocuous dull hill with an ugly path up it's side. :eh: :wink:
We celebrated our knocking off of volume six with Coffee and hot chocolate taking in Sails admittedly fine summit panoramas on what had become a stunningly beautiful afternoon. I was tempted by continuing upwards and onwards but with Outerside still to be bagged for Hughie and somewhat less enthusiasm from wife and particularly daughter, we retraced our steps back to the Sail pass.

ImageToiling up the Sail path by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThat path by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSail Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageNorth Western Fells Completed by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageEll Crags by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards the High Stile Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

With Grace and Nicola enjoying a leisurely stroll back to the car along the old miners track me and Hughie scarpered off up Outerside, another Hughie catch up fell, thus completing our very own mountain dogs round of the North West fells. We continued along to Stile end, dropping back down to the miners track via Barrow door before meeting Nicola and Grace back at the car. We had a nice meal at the White Horse at Scales to celebrate finishing our first book and what had been a brilliant day.

ImageGrisedale Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageView from Outerside by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie on Outerside by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

AW described the North Western fells and the "most delectable" and it's hard to disagree. The profusion of wonderful ridges, fantastic views and lofty summits, combined with valleys such as Newlands and Rannerdale makes for a perfect combination. What a stunning corner of the world. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: North Western Fells Completed

Postby MarkyMark10 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Congratulations on completing the North Western Fells!!!! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/po ... f28204b28#
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Postby clivegrif » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:45 pm

Terrific report of what was obviously a cracking day!

See what you mean about that strange path but the rest of the views more than make up for it, and the light looked superb.

Love that picture of Hughie looking wistfully at that hill.

Well done to all!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby stevesey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Well done - hadn;t though about ticking them off book by book - so this just made me realise that Whinlatter is the only NW fell I have left - may have to tag a quick sprint onto the start/end of another day - I wonder if there is a off piste route straight up from the pass.

Have been up Sail without and with the path - can't remember much about the without. With the path I remember getting a good rhythm going up using poles - then jogging/skipping down with my arms taking as much of the weight as possible.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:46 pm

A fine ridge to complete the NW Fells on, Anthony. Outerside is a nice hill with a good view too. I'm glad to see Hughie is back in action. Which book are you after finishing next?

Stevesey, the traverse of the length of Whinlatter's ridge is worth doing, and getting both tops - the Wainwright at the west end, and the now recognised highest point further east. A nice walk, more than just bagging for the sake of it. Easily done from near the top of the pass .
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Beautiful & atmospheric pictures, JKLL, and well done on the 1/7 completion!

It may be just imagination, but I think the harsh lines of the Sail path are already softening a little from the way it looked on the very early pictures? - in 5 or 10 years it may be integrated properly perhaps. And it is quite nice to walk on....
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315

Postby stevesey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 pm

simon-b wrote:Stevesey, the traverse of the length of Whinlatter's ridge is worth doing, and getting both tops - the Wainwright at the west end, and the now recognised highest point further east. A nice walk, more than just bagging for the sake of it. Easily done from near the top of the pass .

Thanks - I hadn't looked at the Wainwright description so was unware that Brown How was officially the Wainwright (even if he disagreed with the height at the time) - could have ended up missing the official Wainwright! Looks like 1hr Naismith time to do both - can travel light - probably will just be bagged for the sake of it - I spend a week near Bassentwaite each year - so a quick trip when returning from a longer walk seems likely (or perhaps to take advantage of a weather break on a lousy day).
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:122

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 am

MarkyMark10 wrote:Congratulations on completing the North Western Fells!!!! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/po ... f28204b28#

Thanks Mark :D

clivegrif wrote:Terrific report of what was obviously a cracking day!

See what you mean about that strange path but the rest of the views more than make up for it, and the light looked superb.

Love that picture of Hughie looking wistfully at that hill.

Well done to all!

Thanks Clive, Hughie was in a posing mood for once :lol:

stevesey wrote:Well done - hadn;t though about ticking them off book by book - so this just made me realise that Whinlatter is the only NW fell I have left - may have to tag a quick sprint onto the start/end of another day - I wonder if there is a off piste route straight up from the pass.

Have been up Sail without and with the path - can't remember much about the without. With the path I remember getting a good rhythm going up using poles - then jogging/skipping down with my arms taking as much of the weight as possible.

Cheers, Climbing Whinlatter from the pass is more than possible but certainly not very pleasant. I'd consider going up through the forestry tracks even if it means just a there and back, still won't taken more than a couple of hours depending upon your walking speed.

simon-b wrote:A fine ridge to complete the NW Fells on, Anthony. Outerside is a nice hill with a good view too. I'm glad to see Hughie is back in action. Which book are you after finishing next?

Stevesey, the traverse of the length of Whinlatter's ridge is worth doing, and getting both tops - the Wainwright at the west end, and the now recognised highest point further east. A nice walk, more than just bagging for the sake of it. Easily done from near the top of the pass .

Thanks Simon, the Northern fells will be next with only 3 left to bag but planning upon getting some Southern fells ticked off in the mean time.

poppiesrara wrote:Beautiful & atmospheric pictures, JKLL, and well done on the 1/7 completion!

It may be just imagination, but I think the harsh lines of the Sail path are already softening a little from the way it looked on the very early pictures? - in 5 or 10 years it may be integrated properly perhaps. And it is quite nice to walk on....

Thanks Poppie, I'm not sure if the Sail path will ever soften that much given it is raised up from the hill side and has, what is best described as a moat running along one side. Still for better or for worse it's there to stay and as you say it's undoubtedly better to walk on than a eroded scar. On a more worrying note there are signs of another trod developing around 10 yards to the North of the path made, undoubtedly by walkers not wanting to bother with zigzags (even though progress would be almost certainly quicker)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 02, 2014 2:45 am

Fantastic JK :clap: Congratulations on following Hughie up all those hills :lol: :lol: Some really beautiful images in this set, what a great day you chose to complete the NW fells :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat May 03, 2014 10:29 pm

ChrisW wrote:Fantastic JK :clap: Congratulations on following Hughie up all those hills :lol: :lol: Some really beautiful images in this set, what a great day you chose to complete the NW fells :clap: :clap:

Cheers Chris, we lucked out big time on the weather this time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland