walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cwm Lledr Horseshoe: Ysgafell Wen & Allt-Fawr

Cwm Lledr Horseshoe: Ysgafell Wen & Allt-Fawr

Postby poppiesrara » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Allt Fawr, Moel Druman, Ysgafell Wen, Ysgafell Wen North Top

Date walked: 19/04/2014

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 895m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A beautiful and interesting walk around the backwaters of Snowdonia.

cwm lledr.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having expected this area to be deserted, even on an Easter weekend, there were actually a few cars at the road end near Coed Mawr and a couple of big groups visible in the distance heading up the bridleway west. No-one was taking quite this route, but then it does need a bit of pathless – if easy enough – grassbashing to gain a foothold on the long ridge of Yr Arddu. A good perspective of the Snowdon horseshoe and Moel Siabod, seen in full profile to the north, fill the eye for these miles, but the ridge makes for very interesting walking anyway – a constant succession of little rocky peaks and tiny pools amid the heather and a tangle of half-paths. I’d been up on Haystacks in the Lakes a few days before, and the walk along here and over the succession of summits of Ysgafell Wen must be Wales’ closest thing to that - without the crowds too…
Cwm Lledr 001.jpg
Yr Arddu from the road-end

Cwm Lledr 005.jpg
Allt-Fawr & Moel Druman on the skyline

Cwm Lledr 020.jpg
Snowdon

Cwm Lledr 039.jpg
Llyn Edno with Yr Aran right

Cwm Lledr 049.jpg
On Ysgafell Wen's north ridge - one of Llynnau'r Cwn below

Cwm Lledr 052.jpg
The highest of of Llynnau'r Cwn

Cwm Lledr 056.jpg
Moel Siabod from Ysgafell Wen

Cwm Lledr 069.jpg
The Moelwyns from Ysgafell Wen summit

Turning east over the tops of Moel Druman and Allt-Fawr, the going becomes grassier and quicker but no less attractive, the ridge lined by wide blue llyns in the sunshine, and the high Moelwyns and Cnicht rising temptingly close by. Allt-Fawr – this circuit’s highpoint at 698m has a fine summit of jagged rocky teeth, but also a startling sudden view of the vast Ffestiniog slate quarries climbing the hillsides opposite.
Cwm Lledr 074.jpg
Llyn Terfyn

Cwm Lledr 079.jpg
Back to Ysgafell Wen

Cwm Lledr 080.jpg
Cnicht

Cwm Lledr 084.jpg
Moelwyns from Moel Druman

Cwm Lledr 085.jpg
Llyn Conglog

Cwm Lledr 087.jpg
Pool on ridge between Moel Druman & Allt-Fawr

Cwm Lledr 090.jpg
Ysgafell Wen & Snowdon

Cwm Lledr 095.jpg
Moel Druman

Cwm Lledr 098.jpg
Cnicht & Moel Druman over Llyn Conglog, from Allt-Fawr

Cwm Lledr 102.jpg
Allt-Fawr summit

Cwm Lledr 104.jpg
Blaenau Ffestiniog quarries and Manod Mawr from Allt-Fawr

The descent north is easy if occasionally steep going over grassy subtops onto a circuitous quarry track back into the lovely valley. It’s also marked at first by the recent scars of industry (the sad little dammed llyn below Iwerddon and some rather prominent power-lines) but it’s a damn sight better than the way down the last time I climbed these hills a few years back: descending directly from Ysgafell Wen to the headwaters of the Afon Lledr and following the river into the valley is probably the wettest stretch of walking imaginable, a long, long slog of waist-high reeds hiding knee-deep watery marsh… This however was a terrific circuit of little-visited hills, very highly recommended.
Cwm Lledr 106.jpg
Descending to Iwerddon, the Crimea Pass far below

Cwm Lledr 117.jpg
Moel Dyrnogydd and its Llyn, Moel Siabod behind

Cwm Lledr 129.jpg
Close-up of the way down from Ysgafell Wen to be avoided, the upper Afon Lledr

Cwm Lledr 140.jpg
Mine ruins in Cwm Lledr, Yr Arddu ridge behind

Cwm Lledr 146.jpg
Moel Siabod
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Cwm Lledr Horseshoe: Ysgafell Wen & Allt-Fawr

Postby clivegrif » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Cracking report there P!

Been a long time since I was up there, and this shows what I have been missing.

I know parts of Snowdonia was mobbed out over Easter, it seems hundreds even wanted to climb Maesglase from the cars jammed in & double parked at Bwlch Oerddrws.

However, it looks like you had a wonderful corner of Wales all to yourself.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks, Clive! Not quite all to myself, but 3 other people seen all day after the start must be nearly as close you can get... it was a great route.

I can't remember seeing anyone actually parked up at Bwlch Oerddrws, god knows where they were off to! Maesglase is a favourite of mine but it's not obviously the place to climb it from, and I'm not sure anyone heads out for a family Easter up Cribin Fawr or Pen y Brynfforchog??!
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 am

Great stuff P and what a cracking day to be doing it. Those beautiful blue skies really showed the area off at its very best (that and your photography skills mate :wink: )
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland