walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glamaig delivers (at the last moment)

Glamaig delivers (at the last moment)

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Route description: Glamaig - avoiding the scree

Corbetts included on this walk: Glamaig

Date walked: 26/04/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 857m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2014-04-26 Glamaig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd been watching the weather forecast all week with a few scattered hills in mind depending on the conditions. By Friday night it looked like Skye on Saturday (pah!) would be the best bet so decided on Glamaig. From my house Glamaig and Bla Bheinn visually form the north and south ends of the Cuillin and due to perspective they look equally high. I have already been up Blà Bheinn so it was Glamaig's turn.

This is what I see from my house - Glamaig bang in the centre (taken the day after my visit).
ImageGlamaig from my Kitchen by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The morning didn't look too promising with low cloud all around and not much of Glamaig showing.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

It's only about 12 miles as the crow flies from Applecross to Skye, but a long drive round (60 plus miles each way). Looking across Lochcarron.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-2 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I had planned to go up to the summit from the Sconser side via An Coileach (following Black Panther's instructions, thanks!) and returning down the scree slope to Bealach na Sgairde and thence round the base of the hill back to the bridge and my car.

Arriving at my start point the hill was still shrouded in mist - The Misty Isle indeed.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-3 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I thought the ground around the gate would have dried out a bit and, as the fence is topped with barbed wire, decided it was the best way to get out on the hill. I'm not sure if there was a best way, but this certainly was not it :lol: I sank up to my ankles in a mixture of wet mud and cow poo :( . However, I had dry socks with me so thought I'd change them when I got up the hill a bit and stopped for breakfast.

I went straight up to the right of the lower crags and met up with the fence posts (thanks again BP, you are a great guide) - it's a bit of a slog but not too bad. (I'm in training for Beinn Sgrithall!) The views were still great so I stopped for breakfast. I had totally forgotten by my wet sock by this time.

The Raasay ferry heading out of Sconser.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-4 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Glas Bheinn Mhòr and Belig both cloud covered. The fence posts act as way-markers from now on.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-5 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I'm still dawdling around hoping for the cloud base to lift and here comes the ferry on its return trip :lol:
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-6 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Decision time.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-7 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Well, I wouldn't be writing this if I hadn't decided to carry on. I thought I'd just go up to the first top and see how things were. No more photos for a while as there was nothing to see but a fine (not too thick) mist. I even forgot to take a photo of the wee cairn at the top of An Coileach. Needless to say I carried on to the summit of Sgùrr Mhairi. There really isn't much to report except that the mist had made the rocks slippery so I had to be pretty careful at the scrambly bits. I did choose to scramble rather than go up the scree sections.

Here's the summit cairn.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-8 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I was so disappointed and just determined that I would have to come back on a good day to get the views. I see this hill every day of my life (well, when it's not cloud covered!) and I really, really wanted to see the reverse view and see if I could spot my house from up here. I was just chewing on my apple and contemplating a return by the same route for safety's sake when I thought I spied a ghostly vision out of the mist. It took a split second for me to realize that I was staring Sgùrr nan Gillean in the face. It's much closer than you expect. My heart leapt and I grabbed the camera just in case it was a momentary break in the clouds.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-9 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I then turned around and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I saw this spidean ahead of me and it took a moment for me to realize it was where I had come from - this was my hill and I had been there :lol: What a lovely ridge walk I had missed! And I really do mean 'missed' as I was just putting one foot after the other with not much knowledge of the beauty of my surroundings.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-10 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I didn't know if this cloud-swirled beauty was going to last so I ran around the summit plateau like a crazy person snapping away.

Glen Sligachan.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-11 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Sconser, Raasay and the mainland.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-12 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The cloud base was slowly lifting.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-13 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The sweep of the Deargs ridge, Marso on the right. No sight of Bla Bheinn yet!
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-14 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The glens below me were totally clear of mist by now so I decided to revert to Plan A and descend the south face to Bealach na Sgairde. Starting the descent.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-15 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The south section of the main Cuillin ridge and Harta Corrie. The ridge in the foreground is Druim na Ruaige and is a possible approach (or descent) to Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach. It looks like a great walk after the scree!
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-16 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Ah, Garbh-bheinn and Bla Bheinn emerging from the mists (behind the Deargs).
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-17 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Descending the scree now - took me ages but stopped many times - snap, snap, snap :lol:
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-18 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The ridge and the scree slopes of An Coileach.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-19 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Zoomed in and, yes, I can see my house! To the right of centre there is a small while blob (the white beach at Ardbain). Just behind that there is a row of houses - :D :D. You can see the Torridon mountains to the left behind Applecross Bay.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-20 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

One last look from the scree slope.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-21 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Eventually got down to the bealach and would loved to have had the energy to go up Beinn Dearg Mhor but that wasn't to be. I had my very late second lunch by the lovely stream and just absorbed my grand surroundings.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-22 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

This is where I descended. There are crags on the right and I came down just to the left of them. At first I tried to avoid the scree by zig-zagging between mossy patches but this was a bit futile. I didn't really feel comfortable until I could see the final run down to the bealach - you just see short horizons in front of you with not much idea as to what lies over them! As there is no way to avoid the scree for the bottom third, I decided to go with it and started a bit of scree 'surfing' - it's much easier and faster than trying to stop yourself falling - and better for the old knees methinks. Actually I quite enjoyed it and it did speed my progress - a bit.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-23 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The allt and sheep clinging to the hillsides.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-24 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The descent now was easy. I followed the burn for a while and then made my way around and down the hill. I then had a problem as to how to get out to the road again. The burn near the road was not too high so I chose, if I was to get wet feet, to have nice clean water in my boots rather than cow pats :lol: This was indeed a wise choice as the burn was low and a dawdle to cross. I then had the fence to contend with but praise be, at this section it is not covered with barbed wire. I went up towards the road and hopped over when there was a lull in the traffic! (Not a pretty sight :lol: )

Fuar Tholl on the way home. (aka Wellington's Nose). On the left is Sgorr Ruadh.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-25 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Back in Applecross, Glamaig (right) is still there and hopefully none the worse for entertaining her wayward visitor.
ImageGlamaig 2014.04.26-26 by anniesmountains, on Flickr
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Glamaig delivers (at the last moment)

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Good day there Annie and glad you got the clouds to lift out the back garden..well done
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Fantastic! I’m envious of you having this on your doorstep! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu May 01, 2014 8:53 am

So Lady Glamour didn't disappoint! When she's in good mood, she gifts the climber with a day to remember :D I didn't get any views on my first visit...

Glad to hear that my earlier TR on this one proved useful. We visited Skye two days before you, to claim three Grahams, just as steep as Glamaig :shock:

As for "snap-snap-snap", when my chum is in that mood, it takes us ages to get from A to B... He stops every five minutes to take another set of photos and then we end up with 300-400 pictures from a single walk. My 1-terrabyte disc is overflowing :lol: :lol:

Cheers and I hope we'll bump into each other on the hills one day
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu May 01, 2014 9:15 am

What a lovely report and how great that you were able to see your house from the mountain. That view you have ...wow! I am so envious!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby malky_c » Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am

Looks like we're missing the best weather in the east - nice day (mostly) :D . Glamaig is a great viewpoint - must do it again sometime from a less painful direction (been up twice from Sligachan, which isn't the most fun).

You've also reminded me I have a work site visit to Raasay next week that I need to organise...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby GillC » Thu May 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Fab stuff,,,have Glamaig in my sights since we missed it due to sheer stupidity on our round of the red cuillin horseshoe a couple of years ago. maybe on our visit this month lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu May 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks, all. I must say I had a great day - in the end.

BP, I can't meet you on the hills unless you are doing a repeat as you are my guide :lol: However, I do repeats and I know you do too, so you never know! In fact it would be great to meet any of you in the hills!

Malky, Dun Caan on Raasay is a great wee hill. I ran to the top from the shoulder a few years ago as I had a friend with me and the steep bit was too much for her. Couldn't do it now though, but it would be an after-work jaunt for you.

Gill, enjoy Skye - I'm hoping to be back by the end of this month too - I'll watch out for you.

ML, yes, I do realize how lucky I am. I wish I'd discovered this hill-walking caper years ago!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby litljortindan » Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 pm

A great view indeed from your house. One of the great hillwalking experiences surely is that of the suddenly breaking hilltop cloud.
Went up this ridge the month we got married, fairly blown along by a strong gale so nice to see it make another appearance on here. Does bring back memories though ours was a cold, snowless December day.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Meatball » Sun May 04, 2014 9:00 pm

As always, superb!

I love the last picture!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland