walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart Corbett, a toughie after a heavy pack walk in!

Knoydart Corbett, a toughie after a heavy pack walk in!

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 10:24 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Choire-bheithe

Date walked: 02/05/2014

Distance: 26.48 km

Ascent: 1630m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today was always going to be a hard one, with the thought of walking in from Loch Hourn to Barrisdale Bay with a full rucksack of camping equipment and tent with sufficient food for three days, yep this was going to be a real test of stamina and leg strength. With a pack weighing just over 22k Captainsolo and I set off on what was a fine dry day for walking in with the hope of including a Corbett and maybe a Graham after setting up the tent at Barrisdale Bay.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
After paying our car parking fees £2.00 a night at the farm opposite we headed off along the South side of Loch Beag which is at Kinloch Hourn and eventually joins up with Loch Hourn
2.JPG
It was low tide and these deer seemed to be enjoying a feed of seaweed
3.JPG
Blue skies and looking promising for the weekend
4.JPG
The track then path does not need much need of directional aid as it is obvious for the duration of the walk in
5.JPG
Down near the lochside, Claire and Tom's caf'e, which we were to visit on the wak out on Sunday, fresh warm scones with jam and cream and coffee, wonderful!
6.JPG
Just follow the stones with strawberries painted on them
7.JPG
The track is undulating to say the least with three big climbs en route to Barrisdale bay. A lovely trail in normal conditions with lots of interest along the way, pity about the heavy packs though
1A.JPG
Barrisdale Bay campsite. After pitching the tent and off loading much of it's contents and with captainsolo settling into the bunkhouse it was soon time to head on up towards out next goal the Corbett which can be readily seen South of the campsite Sgurr a Choire bheithe
9.JPG
Leave the campsite and head over the bridge towards Mam Barrisdale, past the white house on your left and take the second track on your left which has a bridge to cross theAllt Gleam Unndalain
10.JPG
The track takes a right turn and comes back on itself and soon you see a deerfence on your left heading up the North West shoulder of the Corbett, follow this up after leaving the track, at this point there is no path but just keep climbing, this is when you start feeling the effects of carrying such a heavy load along the first part of the day (6.7miles with over 700m ascent)
11.JPG
Just keep on climbing, it's long but not that steep, but unrelenting for most of the way to the summit
12.JPG
Looking North West over Barrisdale Bay and camping site
13.JPG
At the summit cairn with Ladhar Bheinn in the background. The walk in to the campsite took us 2 3/4 hrs and to gain the summit from the campsite 2 1/2hrs
14.JPG
captainsolo contemplating which way to go to pick up the Graham Slat Bheinn. By this point my legs had had enough and the soft corn betweem my toes was playing up something else, so I decided enough was enough and would just head on down the way we came
16.JPG
Back at the campsite I was meet up with Martin another of the club members who was to be climbing with us the next day on Ladhar Bheinn, and also another WH member Ossian22 who was to also camping over thhe weekend and was heading towards Luinne Bheinn on the Saturday. Hi again Ossian and thanks again for taking all our group photographs in the rain on the Sunday before our walkout, it was nice to meet up with up. Ewan (captainsolo) arrived back over 2 hours later, looking pretty tired after a big hard day on the hill, but very pleased with all that he had achieved.
Attachments
8.JPG
The first sight of Saturdays climb Ladhar Bheinn in the background
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Fri May 09, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Knoydart Corbett, a toughie after a heavy pack walk in!

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed May 07, 2014 11:14 am

Nice one Rod, an awful lot of effort for a Corbett, but I suppose that is what we love about this walking lark :lol: :lol:

Good description of the route as usual, still contemplating purchasing a tent & all the gubbins :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Rod, an awful lot of effort for a Corbett, but I suppose that is what we love about this walking lark :lol: :lol:

Good description of the route as usual, still contemplating purchasing a tent & all the gubbins :wink:

Hi again Martin, we were to be staying until Monday but the forecast for Sunday and Monday was pretty uninspiring to say the least so we headed back on the Sunday morning. Good to hear your thinking along the lines of the tent purchase, go as light as you can as the heavy pack makes a huge difference, also means you can pack more food if your away for longer days :lol: Hip flask is compulsory :lol: This weekend coming doesn't look too good either, back on the DIY :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Wed May 07, 2014 11:45 am

That is a tough route for one mere Corbett...

I'm thinking about combining this one with Luinne Bheinn, one day when we eventually move our backsides to walk down and camp in Barrisdale...

We have two tents - one is very light but it leaks, the other one is quite heavy. We'd need a good, dry spell of weather - or a couple of hundred extra quid for a new light tent :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 07, 2014 11:48 am

Never been there - looks great! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 11:57 am

BlackPanther wrote:That is a tough route for one mere Corbett...

I'm thinking about combining this one with Luinne Bheinn, one day when we eventually move our backsides to walk down and camp in Barrisdale...

We have two tents - one is very light but it leaks, the other one is quite heavy. We'd need a good, dry spell of weather - or a couple of hundred extra quid for a new light tent :lol:

Hi BP, there's two of you share the heavy tent weight, and pick a couple of good days. We were more or less guaranteed two days the Friday and Saturday, but did not fancy doing Ladhar Bheinn with the walk in on the Friday. It's a BIG hill and deserves a day on its own, enjoy it when you go. Or you can use the bunkhouse, by the way Bunkhouse is £3.00 a night but if your camping £1.00 if your using the toilet and water facilities and if your cooking there in bad weather.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 11:59 am

dogplodder wrote:Never been there - looks great! :D

Dogplodder , you must go! Honest, it's a fabulous place :D , especially before the midges are out in force :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Looked a good result despite the tough going and heavy pack - Friday definitely better than Saturday !

The Rodmiester wrote:.....we were to be staying until Monday but the forecast for Sunday and Monday was pretty uninspiring to say the least so we headed back on the Sunday morning.....
Yup - rain started later than expected on the Saturday but was then incessant- wasn't far away from you and headed back earlier than planned as well - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Jeez - another ridiculous pack weight :shock: . I was glad that I travelled lightweight on this hill as the Druim Chosaidh approach has a fair amount of up and down in it. Mind you, Knoydart is all about camping and longer trips, so looks like you got the best of it :D

That cafe must be new - it is one of the houses down by the shore about a mile from the road end?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 1:33 pm

malky_c wrote:Jeez - another ridiculous pack weight :shock: . I was glad that I travelled lightweight on this hill as the Druim Chosaidh approach has a fair amount of up and down in it. Mind you, Knoydart is all about camping and longer trips, so looks like you got the best of it :D

That cafe must be new - it is one of the houses down by the shore about a mile from the road end?

It's new to me although the owners said they had been there for about six years and the last time I visited was in 2009, I must have missed it, although they had no sign on the path at that time. Very friendly but no bacon rolls as they are both vegetarian , but she made scones especially for us in 12mins , and boy was it good, just what we needed after camp food for nearly 3days, and seeing we were on our last legs a good sit down in the cafe(greenhouse) watching the windows steam up with our sweat and the rain pouring down outside, great stuff :D :D Much better that the farm where you pay your parking fees. Your greeted with a smile a a warm welcome. Back to do some homework on the backpack weight :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 1:35 pm

rockhopper wrote:Looked a good result despite the tough going and heavy pack - Friday definitely better than Saturday !

The Rodmiester wrote:.....we were to be staying until Monday but the forecast for Sunday and Monday was pretty uninspiring to say the least so we headed back on the Sunday morning.....
Yup - rain started later than expected on the Saturday but was then incessant- wasn't far away from you and headed back earlier than planned as well - cheers :)

Yep pity about the weather on Sunday and Monday with more of the same this weekend :( :( Where were you rockhopper? Did you get done what you were after?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed May 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Ooooh, great to do these hills vicariously through you as I'll never get to them :( Sounds exciting to be in such a remote area - unless you live there of course.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Ooooh, great to do these hills vicariously through you as I'll never get to them :( Sounds exciting to be in such a remote area - unless you live there of course.

Hi AnnieMacD, Knoydart is wonderful, and quite popular, quite a few campers and walkers heading through to Inverie from Kinloch Hourn, and many more getting the boat to the jetty in Barrisdale Bay, that in itself must be wonderful, a fabulous area. That's my fourth time there and Zi want to go back again already :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed May 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Nice one RM, good to see you got some good weather too..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 6:14 pm

scottishkennyg wrote:Nice one RM, good to see you got some good weather too..

Hi scottishkennyg, I'll take two good days out of four anyday :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland