walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Mighty Ladhar Bheinn, and a late start!

The Mighty Ladhar Bheinn, and a late start!

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn

Date walked: 03/05/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.46 km

Ascent: 1204m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was once again an Argyll Mountaineering monthly meet and although I had arrived the day earlier the majority of the other members participating were to be arriving today so it was to be a case of enjoying the views around the campsite and at the shore of Barrisdale Bay watching the tide go out and at what a pace, the islands in Loch Hourn wer getting bigger by the minute, it was quite amazing the speed the water went out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
View of the campsite from the bridge over the main water flow into the Bay and also from the start of the path to the start of the walk up Ladhar Beinn later in the day. The weather was looking good with the prospect of the rain forecast about 1900hrs
2.JPG
We had much time on our hands before the others arrived so after having our breakfast we headed off along the track past Barrisdale house where we saw this fellow heading over to the grassy pastures beside the large house
3.JPG
A view over to Ladhar Bheinn from the shoreline towards the jetty are where we were headed
4.JPG
View from the ruin that exists at the foot of the path which connects to the track on the shoreline of Barrisdale Bay, Ladhar Bheinn in the background
5.JPG
At last the others are arriving we had expected them about the 1200hr mark but it had taken them longer than expected
6.JPG
All looking quite cheery and full of expectations for the big hill which lay ahead. After joining them for the walk back to camp and watching them pitch tents and generally having a spot of lunch at about 1415hrs the time had come for the climb ahead
7.JPG
9.JPG
Heading towards the zig zag path around the North East shoulder of Creag Bheithe. It was already decided bcause of the time available that the complete traverse was probably not on and therefore the route was to be heading straight towards Coire Dhorrcail cut across the Allt Coire Dhorrcail and climb up the grassy slopes of Druim a Choire Odhair until we found the path along the ridge
10A.JPG
View looking over Loch Hourn towards Kinloch Hourn
14.JPG
Crossing the Allt Coire Dhorrcail
15.JPG
Coire Dhorrcail in the background. At this point it's just a slog up deep grassy slopes
16.JPG
View from the shoulder of Druim a Choire Odhair
18.JPG
Loch Hourn and Beinn Sgritheall
19.JPG
Further up on the shoulder looking back
20.JPG
Looking back towards where we came along the ridge, at this point a well established path has been formed
21.JPG
Looking ahead to the summit cairn with the trig point (not summit along the ridge to the right)
22.JPG
Looking back along the ridge
23.JPG
Looking along the summit ridge
25.JPG
The summit cairn
26.JPG
What remains of the trig point
Attachments
13.JPG
Heading towards Coire Dhorrcail
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: The Mighty Ladhar Bheinn, and a late start!

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Looks like you made the best of the day. I think if you'd done the traverse anticlockwise I'd have bumped into you on my way up (still to do a WR). I did meet a group on their way down - they were doing the circuit and I think they said they were staying at the White House.....and you did see an awful lot more than I did in the rain and clag :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 07, 2014 8:53 pm

rockhopper wrote:Looks like you made the best of the day. I think if you'd done the traverse anticlockwise I'd have bumped into you on my way up (still to do a WR). I did meet a group on their way down - they were doing the circuit and I think they said they were staying at the White House.....and you did see an awful lot more than I did in the rain and clag :roll: - cheers :)

Did you by any chance take the boat in? As when we were waiting for the remainder of the group to arrive a boatload of passengers passed us when we were heading to the jetty to take photographs. Like you We met some of the twelve staying at the White House.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 08, 2014 3:43 pm

That looks a good trip Rod, a great mountain Ladhar Bheinn :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mr_ash_37 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Grt report and pics. Can't wait to do this one. Thanks
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:That looks a good trip Rod, a great mountain Ladhar Bheinn :D

Hi JC, it would have been nice to do the complete traverse but the main thing was getting the hill done in the daylight, is we just went up the quickest way. Nice wee campsite at Barrisdale Bay, pick a good weekend and head on up. Last year we were to be following your route up from Inverie but due to bad weather and the thought of cancelled sailings we cancelled.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 08, 2014 5:18 pm

mr_ash_37 wrote:Grt report and pics. Can't wait to do this one. Thanks

Thanks for that mr-ash-37, it's a very nice hill, that was probably the quickest way, but we were getting short of time and to make sure we were off the hill by daylight we did it this way. Maybe next time if I head for Inverie, I will do it another way and include the two corbetts :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Ossian22 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Great report and pictures, must have been a feat of endurance for those that walked in the same day!. They were certainly glad of a brew when they got back to the bothy. Was also good to meet you and have a quick natter
Ossian22
Mountaineer

Munros:112   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Ossian22 wrote:Great report and pictures, must have been a feat of endurance for those that walked in the same day!. They were certainly glad of a brew when they got back to the bothy. Was also good to meet you and have a quick natter

Hi again Ossian22, your right about the endurance bit, a long long day for them, we had our long day on the Friday (Knoydart Corbett a tough walk in) trip report, you get a mention. Nice meeting you, pity you missed out on the coffee and scones, next time then :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Thu May 08, 2014 10:23 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Johnny Corbett wrote:That looks a good trip Rod, a great mountain Ladhar Bheinn :D

Hi JC, it would have been nice to do the complete traverse but the main thing was getting the hill done in the daylight, is we just went up the quickest way. Nice wee campsite at Barrisdale Bay, pick a good weekend and head on up. Last year we were to be following your route up from Inverie but due to bad weather and the thought of cancelled sailings we cancelled.

Fond memories of this mountain. I loved Knoydart. Dont follow JCs route .... you would still be on the hill :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby Scotjamie » Thu May 08, 2014 10:42 pm

Enjoyed that, RM. Great stuff ...and better than my trudge up the back of this hill in stair-rods of rain
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri May 09, 2014 6:22 am

mountain thyme wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

Fond memories of this mountain. I loved Knoydart. Dont follow JCs route .... you would still be on the hill :lol:

Hi mountain thyme, of course you directed JC on the CORRECT route! :) Have you been out since Assynt? For instance did you take advantage of the good Easter Weekend?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri May 09, 2014 6:25 am

Scotjamie wrote:Enjoyed that, RM. Great stuff ...and better than my trudge up the back of this hill in stair-rods of rain

Funny you should say that but last year the meet was cancelled because of the bad weather forecast and we were to be going from the Inverie and tackling it from the West, it must of felt like a long day as it's a mighty big hill, from sea level and all. Bet you enjoyed your pint at the Old Forge though :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Mon May 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Great walk! I love this area. Can’t wait to return and bag some hills. That ridge looks very tasty! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue May 13, 2014 7:38 am

Silverhill wrote:Great walk! I love this area. Can’t wait to return and bag some hills. That ridge looks very tasty! :D

Great hills with fabulous views all around :D and as you say nice ridge, but when wet walk with caution. Ie Stop and admire the views. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland