walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crinkle Crags

Crinkle Crags

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Pike o'Blisco

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Crinkle Crags South Top, Pike of Blisco, Shelter Crags

Date walked: 03/05/2014

Time taken: 7

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1062m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Any round of the Wainwrights will involve much trudging up benign grassy slopes to visit small piles of rock in the middle of nowhere. Nowt wrong with this of course; it gets you fit, it gets you out of the house, it's better than working, it's better than worrying about stupid football teams and you do get nice views from time to time if the weather allows.
For all that is good about the benign grassy slopes most fell walkers love rock; be it cliffs to stare down, (or up), knolls to wander over or around, or best of all, crags to get your hands dirty on, making you feel like a child again as you scramble inelegantly upwards while imagining you're climbing real mountains. :lol:

It would be easy to head for these honey pots first and fill your boots to the brim but then the endless miles of grassy slopes might seem just that little bit less attractive without Lakeland's best high ground to provide adventure and exhilaration from time to time. It was with this in mind that certain fells have been ignored, despite their obvious charms, on our journey so far but when Grace specifically asked if we could climb Crinkle Crags it seemed like as good a time as any.

Rather than the traditional walk including Bow Fell I decided to combine the Crinkles with Pike O'Blisco and Cold Pike. The route up Blisco is on an excellent made path, very sympathetic with surroundings, before the final craggy pyramid is climbed with many simple but enjoyable scrambles. Pike O'Blisco is a grand rocky summit just like a fell or mountain should be, perfect place for lunch and to enjoy the views.

ImagePike O'Blisco by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe band from the valley floor by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Pikes of Langdale by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Langdale Pikes by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImagePike O'Blisco's South Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCrinkle Crags from Pike O'Blisco by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImagePike O'Blisco by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace on Pike O'Blisco by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It's a simple descent down to red tarn before gaining height via the broad path to Crinkle Crags. Once the slopes to the south eased we headed off over largely easy ground to Cold Pikes summit tors. It's a nice summit but in this company it is somewhat overshadowed. We didn't linger long before heading off up the soon to be upgraded path to Crinkle Crags.

ImageCrinkle Crags by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCold Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

With Crinkle number one climbed (a Hewitt in it's own right) the bad step came into view. Given that it is so easily avoidable, either by the clear path to the left or by the grass and boulders to the right the name isn't really appropriate, however due to the status granted by AW it is somewhat a right of passage to the summit of the mountain. I must confess that it did look a bit intimidating and the scramble up was a little out of my comfort zone but overall it was good fun. Hughie probably didn't agree as he was unceremoniously hauled up on the end of his lead before Grace and an under pressure Nicola managed to clamber up the obstacle. Crinkle Crags summit was reached minutes later and we had hot chocolate and coffee and took in another wonderful panorama. It was at this point that my battery on my camera gave up the ghost and with me forgetting to charge my spare it was camera phone from here on out.

ImageThe (not so) Bad Step by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCrinkle Gill by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace on Crinkle Crags Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBowfell and Crinkles from The summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking down Mickle Door by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie checks out one of the Crinkles by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageNicola and Grace with the Scafells behind by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We weaved out way along the ridge visiting the remaining Crinkles and the Hewitt of Shelter Crags completing the entertaining traverse of this superb mountain. The Band was chosen as a descent route given it's steady slopes and a nice relaxed walk back to the car was a fine way to end the day. This walk certainly lived up to its billing with both Pike O'Blisco and Crinkle Crags becoming instant faves. The day was finished off by a certain stupid football team winning at Old Trafford for the first time since before I was born. :D

ImageLangdales from the Band by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Sat May 10, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Crinkle Crags

Postby MarkyMark10 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Nice report and great photos. :clap: I have Crinkle Craggs including Bowfell on my list for the summer. Do you think I am being over ambitous? Doesnt look too far from the picture but could be deceiving.
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 08, 2014 8:04 pm

MarkyMark10 wrote:Nice report and great photos. :clap: I have Crinkle Craggs including Bowfell on my list for the summer. Do you think I am being over ambitous? Doesnt look too far from the picture but could be deceiving.

Thanks Mark. If you do this route and leave Cold Pike out you can always see how you feel at the three tarns. A there and back to Bowfell from here isn't too far.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Thu May 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Oh thats a good walk! Have done that very same route (but did include Bowfell at the end).

Really enjoyable read, and surprise, surprise your pics are a lot better than mine were - so I'll nick this report as a reminder instead!! :lol:

...and I do believe a certain Mr Gus Poyet has been sighted walking on water. :clap:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 09, 2014 12:59 pm

clivegrif wrote:Oh thats a good walk! Have done that very same route (but did include Bowfell at the end).

Really enjoyable read, and surprise, surprise your pics are a lot better than mine were - so I'll nick this report as a reminder instead!! :lol:

Thanks Clive, you're too kind

clivegrif wrote:
...and I do believe a certain Mr Gus Poyet has been sighted walking on water. :clap:

...and for his next trick :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Sat May 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Wonderful part of the world, Carol and i have enjoyed a few weekends staying at the new dungeon and many happy hours spent on the surrounding tops.

Great pictures as always
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Ibex » Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 pm

You even manage to take great photo's on a camera phone. Like the one of Grace on Crinkle Crags, with Bowfell in the background.

When me and AJ did Crinkle Crags we had awful clag, so missed out on a lot of the views. Will have to go back to it on a nice day.

Closing in on your 150 now. :D
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Sun May 11, 2014 7:21 pm

A superb round, Anthony. Well done to all of you for getting up the bad step with Hughie. The last time I took on that obstacle, I was coming down; I don't think I would have fancied that while hanging on to a Westie.

Superb views, which still look impressive in your photos, despite the fact they're so familiar to me now.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon May 12, 2014 11:16 am

L-Hiking wrote:Wonderful part of the world, Carol and i have enjoyed a few weekends staying at the new dungeon and many happy hours spent on the surrounding tops.

Great pictures as always

Cheers Geoff, remarkably this was only our 2nd visit to Great Langdale, almost criminal.

Ibex wrote:You even manage to take great photo's on a camera phone. Like the one of Grace on Crinkle Crags, with Bowfell in the background.

When me and AJ did Crinkle Crags we had awful clag, so missed out on a lot of the views. Will have to go back to it on a nice day.

Closing in on your 150 now. :D

Thanks Ibex, I must admit I'd have been happy to do the same walk again the next day, highly enjoyable. 150 will have to wait for a bit as we won't be wainwright bagging for a few weeks and are heading to Skye at the end of the month.

simon-b wrote:A superb round, Anthony. Well done to all of you for getting up the bad step with Hughie. The last time I took on that obstacle, I was coming down; I don't think I would have fancied that while hanging on to a Westie.

Superb views, which still look impressive in your photos, despite the fact they're so familiar to me now.

Thanks Simon, no way we'd have got Hughie up there without his harness to haul him up with. Saw several dogs around the bad step and all of them appeared to be of the same mind i.e. That can't be the right way! :lol:
I can imagine returning to Crinkle crags time and time again, a really fine fell.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland