walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Killing Fields on Creag Meagaidh on May Day Monday

The Killing Fields on Creag Meagaidh on May Day Monday

Postby Beaner001 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 05/05/2014

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1080m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had my eye on this Circuit for a while and the clear views i got from Chno Dearg a few weeks ago were still fresh in my mind, so after a consultation with MWIS and the chance of 80% Cloud free Munro's with little rain my mind was made up. The only problem was the wind may extend to Gale Force later in the day so it meant an early start to try and beat it. Myself and the Dogs were up at the Nature Reserve Car park for 8.30am and there were already quite a few camper vans there. Set off on the Pine Martin Path which heads past the White Estate Houses, there are plenty interpretation boards with maps etc so shorter walks are available for those not interested in the Munros, also a toilet is available at the end of the house you pass on the path. Once past the house the path slowly gets steeper but it is a good path so no issues.
photo 1.JPG
Path up past the house heading uphill

You branch right once through the gap in the stone wall and head uphill, keep an eye out on the right for the small cairn which marks the start of the soggy path up through some regerated woodland which continues up the rough hillside to just west of Na Cnapanan.
photo 3.JPG
Lochy on the stone beside the small cairn marking the path up towards Carn Liath

It was here that Lochy found the first of many bones of the day, i can only presume they were deer bones as they were quite big and there was no sign of any sheep on the hill. I had to do the usual trick with the dogs, where you tempt them in close enough after a mexican standoff to grab their collar and take the bone from them. The next part is probably why my dogs found them and hence the next dog walker will get caught too, you pretend to throw it and the two of them take off and the minute they turn you drop the bone to the side of the path :lol: Sorry to the next dog walker but im sure i was not the first nor the last to use this trick!!
After around twenty five minutes i decided to stop at around 650m for a drink and snack.
photo 4.JPG
First sifght of the window on Creag Meagaidh

The window looked terrifying from here and i never had my crampons or ice axe and i had two live wire Springers with me so i made the decision that if it was as bad as it looked i'd be reversing the route back which i hate but better safe than sorry and anyway things always look worse on the hill than they are.
The dogs normally potter around (when not begging) so i left them to it, i heard some splooshing around so thought they had found some water to play in and thought nothing of it, after 5 minutes i decided to check on them and this is waht i was greeted with :shock:
photo 6.JPG
Unreal, Roy can hardly open his eyes for the mud/peaty water but he was so chuffed with himself! I could have killed him if i wasn't so busy wetting myself with laughter!!!

photo 7.JPG
The two of them fine pleased with themselves

Once i'd stopped giggling to myself and got a few pics of them we started off again and you soon reach the stoney upper section where you bear North East to the summit. The Clag had come in so i had to navigate with compass but it cleared again as quick as it came and i got a few minutes views on the summit.
photo 8.JPG
Summit Carn Liath

We retraced our steps back and then continued West along the ridge which evetuallty was visable once the last of the mist was gone.
photo 9.JPG
Views West along the ridge to Uinneag Coire a' Chaorainn

We continued along but the wind was really picking up and i found myself walking at an angle to counter the wind! We needed a few minutes break so on close inspection of the map the next sheltered are would be Uinneag Min Choire. We stopped here and dogs got carrots and biccies and i got a coffee and ceral bar. Looking up towards the route i saw this ice/snow wall which looked daunting from below but turned out not too bad and was just a leg over job.
photo 10.JPG
Wall of snow/ice

Once over this and further along the ridge i started to notice the cornices were still really bad and as the dugs are not cornice aware i decided to put them on leads, this is a nightmare as they pull like b*ggery but needs must. Got a break by looping their leads round once of the fence posts you follow all the way to summit of SPCA.
photo 12.JPG
Getting a break from the constant pulling

It was here that coming the other way were around 16 kids with a few adults, said hi to each and every one but the wind was so bad that a token wave was all either of us could understand. Quickly added a few stones to the small summit cairn on SPCA and headed off down to the bealach at the Window to get out of the wind.
photo 14.JPG
Towards summit SPCA

photo 15.JPG
Coming off SPCA towards the window

photo 16.JPG
Lochan Uaine and avalanche debris from above at Mad Megs Cairn

Had another quick snack then started the climb up the slopes towards Creag Meagaidh, some awful cornices on North East face to be avoided.
photo 21.JPG
Cornices on North East face Creag Meagaidh

Walked over towards Mad Megs Cairn which was snow all the way, dogs on leads again as some bad cornices on North Face also. Made the summit and stopped for 15 minutes and dogs got last of their carrots and i got a sanner.
photo 23.JPG
Mad Megs Cairn

photo 22.JPG
Lochy on Summit of Creag Meagaidh

Made my way back as mist was in and not much views. Bumped into a nice couple from Grantown whom had come up through the Window and they advised it be fine for going down, thank god as i was really not wanting to retrace my whole route back :D
Once back at the bealach we walked over the top of the Window and the dogs did fantastically, i'll let the following photos do the talking:
photo 17.JPG
On top of the window

photo 19.JPG
On top of the window

photo 20.JPG
On top of the window

photo 24.JPG
The window

photo 25.JPG
The window

photo 27.JPG
The window

photo 28.JPG
The window

The snow was real soft but not slippy so we made good time and it was real fun, We stayed to the left hand side as there was a lot of debris from avalanche to the right. We made our way down to Lochan a' Choire where the dogs enjoyed a swim and then i got talking to a nice couple from the black isle.
photo 29.JPG
Lochan a' Choire and some avalanche debris on Coire Ardair

We motored along the nice path all the way down, however the sting in the tail is that the dogs kept appearing with Deer Bones so the same protocol as before was used, i think the score ended up Lochy 6 - Roy 3. The bones looked really new and you could still see the fat on them etc, i wonder if it had been the one deer and bones had been taken by other dogs or even eagles.......Nevertheless it was a pain in the boom having to negotiate with two Springers over bones. Little beggers were so chuffed with their loot till the devil human intervened! Nice donder back to the car park where we saw the Navy Seaking helecopter zooming up loch laggan :D Great day with my dogs.
photo 30.JPG
Last look at the window

photo 33.JPG
Seaking Copter
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: The Killing Fields on Creag Meagaidh on May Day Monday

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 07, 2014 2:38 pm

As far as my two are concerned walking on hills is to find dead stuff and the longer it's been dead the better. :twisted: And I find it's no use cunningly disposing of bones - their noses always take them back. See what happened here. :lol:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20470

That was some walk you did and well done those springers! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed May 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Great report - the springers are fantastic, but bones on the hills can't be resisted - we have the same problem! :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 am

dogplodder wrote:As far as my two are concerned walking on hills is to find dead stuff and the longer it's been dead the better. :twisted: And I find it's no use cunningly disposing of bones - their noses always take them back. See what happened here. :lol:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20470

That was some walk you did and well done those springers! :D

Haha, glad im not the only one Dogplodder. Lochy actually found the first one i disposed of (not very well it seems) right at the start of the walk too :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Beaner001 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Great report - the springers are fantastic, but bones on the hills can't be resisted - we have the same problem! :lol:

Cheers Huff_n_Puff, was a great day, looking forward to the next trip!!
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby jimandandrea » Thu May 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Jings those dogs are fit!!!

Great pics and looks like a grand day out.

I read this report as you posted it as I thought we would be doing this section - excellent.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu May 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Nice read, the pic of Roy reminded me of my Sam he was only happy when he couldnt see out of his eyes for mud lol

Lovely dogs :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Julie » Fri May 09, 2014 11:47 pm

Be thankful, my friends dog vomitted up a deer hoof in her kitchen after a run in the forest on the other side of loch laggan one day...it could always be worse!!
Enjoyed your report, i like these hills and often run up to the lochan and back!
Julie

Munros:227   Corbetts:63
Fionas:44   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:203   

Postby Beaner001 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:26 am

jimandandrea wrote:Jings those dogs are fit!!!

Great pics and looks like a grand day out.

I read this report as you posted it as I thought we would be doing this section - excellent.

Cheers Jim, yeah they have a couple weeks off now though!!
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Beaner001 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 am

Julie wrote:Be thankful, my friends dog vomitted up a deer hoof in her kitchen after a run in the forest on the other side of loch laggan one day...it could always be worse!!
Enjoyed your report, i like these hills and often run up to the lochan and back!

Hi Julie, yeah i think this is a route i'd like to return to, even the walk up to the Loch below the window would be nice as good path all the way. Thanks
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Beaner001 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:30 am

spiderwebb wrote:Nice read, the pic of Roy reminded me of my Sam he was only happy when he couldnt see out of his eyes for mud lol

Lovely dogs :D

Cheers Spiderweb, i followed Sam's story on Highland dog blog on FB :(
Loved your report on Fisherfield BTW :clap: , never been up there so i will use it for a potential walk up there, your report is exactly whats great about this site. Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland