walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In goes the pinn

In goes the pinn

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun May 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 15/05/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Penultimate munro. A late decision was taken to drive over to Skye to scout around the pinnacle and maybe take in Sgurr Mhic Choinnich. The forecast suggested better weather in the evening.

I set off up Coire na Banachdich up passed the waterfall into the corrie. Visibility deteriorated here but it was sheltered and it felt mild. I continued onwards and upwards along various paths and small cairns. I scrambled a few bits and then reached a section which rose steeply to a ridge. I noticed a sheer cliff on one side and sensed I was near top of Sgurr Dearg. I walked along to where I found I was level with the west face of the pinnacle with the iconic bolster stone. It looked daunting in the shrouded visibility.
It was very windy and the clouds were dense and wet, in fact I would say atrocious was a better word. The slabby terrain was treacherous. I noticed an orange storm shelter at the leeward side. I hoped that there were others planning for a climb later. Two lads appeared from the shelter and had a chat for a wee while. They confirmed that 4 others had summited in these conditions since they had been there and had all used gear. Their mates were on the ridge with a guide and just shouted "rope below" as I decided to move on.

I tip toed down the slabs before I fell onto my ****. I slid down a bit more then found the wee path to the starting area. At this point I had the option to walk on, but I decided to take a closer look. I switched on the gopro and with a fully loaded pack and no gear on I stepped onto the wet rock. The wee video tells the story better than words...

I had stepped onto the rock merely to have a recce (to take some shots for a workmate who also wished to climb it) and found myself carrying on beyond the point of no return. (after the first shimmy) The rock and the exposure was tricky but the effects of the wind and the rain increased the risk. I was conscious that the conditions were not the best for unprotected climbing and sensed the danger was present at all times. But I still chose to carry on. Reckon the strong magnet of adventure or stupidity kept me going.

Did I enjoy the experience /achievement ?…in all honesty… YES…absolutely, especially when I reached the ground. Would I have enjoyed it as much if it was a dry clear evening in perfectly safe conditions, aye reckon so.

Hopefully I can enjoy the final munro of this round with the peace of mind that the rope work is done for now.

I would like to go back to the Cuillins and tackle the entire ridge in one crossing with good company. It’s on the bucket list. I will not sell the gear on e bay just yet.
Last edited by scottishkennyg on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: In goes the pinn

Postby inca » Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Awe-inspring video Kenny. Transfixing and easily one of the best I've seen. As an exposure feardy, I think you're totally nuts of course :lol: but -wow- what an effort. That took some cahoonas, particularly in those conditions. As for 'negative feedback', I guess most of us get to an age when we make our own judgment calls on such matters. Safe to say, I'll be wanting a guide, ropes, a helmet, and absolutely anything else that'll help get me up this thing when my time comes. The clapping smilie seems a bit lame to add on after watching that. Well done.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Gripping stuff, Kenny :shock: Can remember climbing this on a warm sunny day, very dry rock, roped in and with a guide. Absolutely no way would I even consider attempting it your way !
Well done - looking forward to the next WR - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby scoob999 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Nice one :clap: :clap: :clap:

I see you picked a great day for the Pinn :lol: Looks a lot scarier and steeper with the gopro though.
Great effort to do it in those conditions. Can't wait to get back up there and do it again 8)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Hill-loving lady » Sun May 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Hmmm...kinda pleased my guide suggested I wait for a better day earlier this month! Walked briefly with guy yesterday who went up to the base of the Pinn, had a look, then thought, why not? Had rope for abseil apparently, lived to tell the tale!
Guide, helmet and alot of psyching up for me most definitely!!! But date rebooked for July, so watch this space!!!
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun May 18, 2014 10:35 pm

Wow, my heart was in my mouth the whole way through that until you hit the ground. What a feat - you are either very brave or very stupid!!!!!! I'm pretty sure it's the former as you know how to do all the technical stuff. It was very interesting watching it as it looks amazingly narrow and it appears the rock is moving. At what point did you know you were past the point of no return?

Congratulations - I'm sure you will never forget it - and please leave No 282 for a good day!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby weaselmaster » Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 pm

That was pretty incredible.
I'm off to have nightmares :shock: :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 am

That looked incredible scarey :crazy: ay least you couldn't see the drops on either side :lol: :lol: you would not have got me up there on a day like that that's for sure. The moving rocks made it even worse :lol: Well done and good effort although a bit :crazy: :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sick Kid » Mon May 19, 2014 8:35 pm

OMG!!!!!! :shock:
How am I going to get up that thing????
In the nicest possible way you're a nutjob! :crazy:
I want about 10 ropes hanging off me in all directions on a dry, dry, dry, windless day! :wink:

Seriously, well done you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon May 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Wow and hats off to you!!! Thats incredible and the video is really great...and yes you are nuts (but with rock climbing skills I guess I would have tried the same) Although I probably would have waited for a dry day 8)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon May 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Wow - brave :clap: :clap: That rock looked like it was trying to throw you off!!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mgmt! » Mon May 19, 2014 11:06 pm

congratulations on your penultimate munro kenny ,but im a bit confused.. :?
you claim to be a qualified mountain guide, yet you write as a novice :?
if your a qualified guide, climbing a "moderate" is toffee buns ? even in a wet n windy day, and an extrex to navigate off the hil :?
if your not a qualified guide, then this was a rather dangerous excursion, and as you say may warrant some negative feedback.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby lochlaggan » Tue May 20, 2014 9:47 am

Interesting reading and bloody well done. I'm hoping to climb this in mid June so hopefully calm with blue skies.

:clap: :clap:
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby brpro26 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:43 am

You’re going to fall!! No anchors, lone climbing, no belayers …strong wind, wet smooth rock, poor visibility and a sheer drop on either side…..Fight or Flight!!

No I would say idiot....I think your judgement was as clouded as your GoPro. The lack of people waiting to go up before you might have been a clue? I'm not doubting you've got the skills but maybe best for another day.
I think you dodged one that day and if your honest, you know that yourself. Glad you never went for Sgurr MC as we might not have had the chance to read your trip report.

Still respect given for having the space-hopper sized gonads to take it on but it wouldn't have been me. I did it on a lovely warm day hanging off a guide and felt no shame in doing that one bit.

Good luck on your impending compleation. :crazy: :clap:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby theformerastronomer » Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Aye caramba! I am somewhere between impressed and horrified that you were on the In Pinn on Sunday - we were on Sgurr a' Mhadaidh and Sgurr a' Greadaidh on Sunday in the same conditions and I have to admit I would never have considered anything more challenging than those.

Edited to add: Having watched the video again, I'm definitely in the 'horrified' camp. I did this yesterday in perfect conditions with a rope and belayer and it was all absolutely fine, but the thought of doing it even in those conditions without the safety systems gives me the serious heeby-jeebies.
theformerastronomer
Munro compleatist

Munros:80   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:18   Islands:10

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland