walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Last of the Tyndrum hills (for me anyway)

Last of the Tyndrum hills (for me anyway)

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun May 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaisteil and Beinn nam Fuaran

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisteil (Auch), Beinn nam Fuaran

Date walked: 17/05/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just me Stevie and the bold jake . Left Rosyth ,overcast and drizzle, arrived at Lochearnhead to pick up Stevie Looking good got to Tyndrum clag down low and rain definatley nae views today going to be dreich.
Booted and suited wet proofs on headed down the road to Auch then to the viaduct then took the right hand track which took you around the front of Beinna Chaistell which looks more menacing then some munroes Ive been on . We followed the track to the end just above a new looking hydro scheme at the foot of the waterfall, and then planned our attack on the big steep beast . We made our way up to the ridge picked up the fence with a few ups and downs got to the cairn at 1030 hrs and were greeted with fantastic views of the whole area . A quick wee photo then followed thefence down to the 546 point at the beallach where we got out of the wind for a brew.
After a good bit of nifty foot work over the peat hags got to the base of Fuaran another steep b*gg*r with a brief consoltation about how to approach this beast we decided on the direct approach straight up and followed the fence by now the rain started to be heavy and the wind was picking up but it was warm . Got to the cairn just after 12noon no point in hanging about the only way is down we took a westerly bearing and headed straight down Crossed over the Allt Kinglass at the small copse with a couple of fords to cross it was a quick trek back to the car and a cold tin of aldis finest time 1430 hrs . Drookit but a good walk .
Memo for walkers who take their muts on the hills I took 4 ticks off of jake more than the whole of last year.
Attachments
001.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
Beinn a Dorain
007.JPG
Beinn Odhar
009.JPG
stevie at the chaisteil cairn
010.JPG
nae mair farting
012.JPG
a view
013.JPG
the only way is up
015.JPG
Fuaran cairn
018.JPG
Beinn a Chuirn I think
023.JPG
025.JPG
spot the beast
026.JPG
027.JPG
029.JPG
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Last of the Tyndrum hills (for me anyway)

Postby tweedledog » Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 am

"Memo for walkers who take their muts on the hills I took 4 ticks off of jake more than the whole of last year."

Too true about the ticks this year. I live in Argyll and am finding a couple a day on the dog even just from my garden!
tweedledog
Wanderer

Re: Last of the Tyndrum hills (for me anyway)

Postby pigeon » Mon May 19, 2014 7:57 pm

I make that 5 Tyndrum Corbetts you've done Ian :lol: :lol: That'll be a pound you owe me :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland