walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A couple in Coigach

A couple in Coigach

Postby basscadet » Mon May 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Route description: Ben Mór Coigach and Sgùrr an Fhìdhleir

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Mór Coigach, Sgùrr an Fhidhleir

Date walked: 17/05/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 880m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this weekend didnie look too great weather-wise, but maybe a bit further north it would come a bit later.. So I found myself on my way to Coigach after work on Friday – parts of which I had never fully explored – exciting! :D
It was raining round about Dingwall, but as I passed by the Fannaichs, I could see sunbeams shining on Ullapool. I turned off the main road, resisted the Stac Pollaidh temptation, and found a braw spot for the tent up near Loch Osgaig. Dougie wasn’t too far behind me.
We awoke to a fine morning, looking forward to a walk we had planned to do a few times, but things had never come together. It wasn’t far to the end of the road where we squeezed into the carpark – looked popular today. 8)

Coigach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We took a path down the glen for a while. Progress was slow because down in the farmland, there was a cuckoo flapping about, screaming blue murder and wagging his tail feathers in a display that I have never witnessed before. :shock: I have only ever seen a cuckoo disappearing, and the display was a remarkable sight that kept on stopping me in my tracks to gawp..
We eventually turned uphill, finding the baggers path next to the burn. It was a bit of a steep climb, but at least dry underfoot, so good progress. :) Views to An Teallach and out to the summer isles were looking amazing.

Eventually we were up on flatter ground, the ridge to our right looking fantastic. Unfortunately the baggers path carried on up the burn, so we broke off toward the bottom of the rocky slopes where we found another path starts up. We ignored it and headed straight for the rock though, it was just brilliant. Grippy rock, jugs a plenty, as hard or as easy as you chose - soooo much fun.

We must of spent an hour or so mucking about, but we were still disappointed when the rocks started levelling out, and we realised we were near the top now. Still more joys awaited us in the form of a really narrow rocky ridge, with gaps periodically to scramble down and back up the other side. Loads of little peaks to visit, one with a cairn which I presume was the high point, but it was hard to keep track of all the ups and downs.

All too soon, the ridge widens into a shallow grassy bealach, the true summit a surprisingly short distance. We headed straight for it, arriving at the shelter cairn at the same time as a group of chaps who had come up the long way from the main road.

The shelter wasn’t too good, so we took a few photo’s and headed onward, finding a spot a bit further down to stop for lunch. The eyes were getting drawn toward the Assynt hills now – always look amazing when they are out of their claggy blankets. :D
Unfortunately, that is where the rain started. Light at first, we were soon huddling under the brolly. We knew that it was more than a shower though, so no choice but onward, down to the bealach, and up gentle slopes to Sgurr nan Fhidleir. The heavens were truly open by now, so there didn’t seem any point hanging around to watch the clag that was rolling in.

So it was heads down, and a quick stomp along the SW ridge back to the road. Despite a bit of a damp finish, a braw wee wander – really special (like all the hills round here) :wink:

We had already picked our camp spot for the night a wee bit back along the road. We sat there for ages with the rain pelting down, not wanting to get out of the car and get wet putting up the tent. I snoozed a while, but after an hour we cold see that we would just have to get wet and we got her up in record time for a fine night with idyllic views of the Summer Isles one direction, and the amazing Garbh Coireachan ridge in the other.

It pelted down all night. :? Our neighbours the sheep looked miserable in the morning. The rain improved for Sunday, and even some sun was out but there was thick clag over the hills, so we did a wee explore of the area, round the local Brochs, Duns and Beaches, followed by a wander out the old postie path in Strath Canaird. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: A couple in Coigach

Postby tamw51 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 am

Nice one its cracking up there, one of my favourite hills to date!
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue May 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Ooooh, can't wait to do these as they look fab. Great report as always - you have such a great attitude.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby audreywaugh » Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Did this walk recently on an exceptionally sunny day and LOVED every minute of it, especially along the ridge, the views were amazing in all directions. I highly recommend this walk to anyone else in the area...don't miss it out!
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby Avocetboy » Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 pm

My favourite mountain. Always a pleasure to read about it. Pleased you enjoyed it
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby mgmt! » Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 pm

nice report and pictures, was up here a few weeks ago, really like the look of sgurr an fhihleir,s north east ridge. been looking to see if there is a scrambling route going up it, looks very steep from the road.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Collaciotach » Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Sgionneil :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby basscadet » Wed May 21, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks folks, I'm glad you enjoyed the report and pics, although quite a few of the photo's are in a camera that was taken to Edinburgh, so these are just the ones I took with my phone :? Oh the joys of moving house :lol:

Aye, sgurr an fhihleir's north east ridge looks a treat as well.. When Dougie showed me the route, the first thing I said was 'so we aren't doing that other bit of the ridge :shock: ' :lol: I reckon the rock is of the type where there would be many easy yet fun routes up there... but thats the good thing about hills, you can return over and over :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 21, 2014 9:01 am

mgmt! wrote:nice report and pictures, was up here a few weeks ago, really like the look of sgurr an fhihleir,s north east ridge. been looking to see if there is a scrambling route going up it, looks very steep from the road.

There's no easy line! The classic route up the prow is Direct Nose (HVS 5a in summer, VII in winter) http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=32205
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby mgmt! » Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 pm

basecadet and dougie, if you dont already have i would suggest the smc giude book highland scrambles north, lots that would interest you both.

jmarkb, thanks for the info , will need to get the area guide, hvs is do able, vii is a bit out my leauge so a summer attempt is more likely
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Wed May 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Great hills :) . Was around here on Thursday on my way to a meeting - weather was slightly poorer then, with this in the clag. Still a great part of the world though :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland