walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Quoich Treble - My First Solo Camp!!

Loch Quoich Treble - My First Solo Camp!!

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Route description: Gairich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Gairich, Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich)

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Fhuarain

Date walked: 20/05/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 2020m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst winter walking back in January I twisted my knee, due to slipping and my crampons remaining fixed in the ice, the damage incurred was a medial collateral knee ligament tear. The next 4 months meant no running, gym classes, cycling or walking...gutted!!

A few weeks back I started cycling, mostly on the islands of Arran and Bute, to gain some fitness. Last week my physio gave me the green light to start hillwalking again, well if I used poles! It'll be another 4 weeks before I run and do classes though.

During this period I read many reports, which included camping, so I decided to buy a tent!! This would provide flexibility when deciding the hills I would walk, plus it looked good fun...I think!

So with me new Zephyros 2 tent, along with other camping gear, I drove to Loch Quoich on the Monday night and set up camp....

Mountainstar stylie :)

My route of choice was to take in Gairich, Sgurr an Fhuarain & Sgurr Mor.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Woke at 6.30am, thanking my lucky stars no mutant sheep had attacked me (have you seen Black Sheep the film?!), packed and walking for 8am.

Cross the dam to start the walk, great views toward Gairich.

It's between 3-4k of a mud bath before reaching the ridge proper.

My lack of hill fitness was evident at this early stage but I knew getting to the first summit is always the most tiring.

Summit of Gairich

Views to the next two targets - Sgurr an Fhuarain & Sgurr Mor

Descending from Gairich was very tough as I'd went slightly SW, instead of West, and missed the zig zagged path down into the Glen. This was tiresome, I had to be sure footed! The pull up to Sgurr an Fhuarain was also pathless and extremely tough but I was enjoying the challenge...!

After what seemed like an eternity I finally reached the summit of Sgurr an Fhuarain. I had a lunch break here.

Sgurr Mor, the final summit, lay ahead.

With renewed energy and vigour, no doubt down to my can of Irn Bru, I followed the ridge Westwards.

Looking back East to Gairich and Sgurr an Fhuarain

The walk to the last summit was fantastic, I was feeling good, and when reaching it the views opened up.

Feeling happy...

...deliriously happy!!

Sat on the summit of Sgurr Mor for 30 minutes milking the views - simply breathtaking!

Headed back down to the bealach and took a direct line south into Glen Kingie, again pathless but easier than coming of Gairich!

Looking back to the bealach.

I now had a 16k walk out in front of me, but it was on a very good path, well until the last 4k!!

Hello little fella :D

The walk out was epic but the stunning surroundings made up for any fatigue felt. By the time I reached the mud bath I was passed caring and just plowed through it :crazy:

With fading light I sneaked one last view down Loch Quoich.

Got to my car at 6pm - the walk had taken 10 hours. I was pretty dirty so had an impromptu shower under a waterfall then changed into clean dry clothes.

On route home visited a friend who moved to Fort William with her husband a few months back, nice to see them realizing their dream of moving out of Glasgow...I hope to follow them in a couple of years.

Arrived home at 11.30pm, I was rather tired...

Enjoyed my first solo camping experience.

Fantastic to be out wandering the hills again 8) :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Loch Quoich Treble - My First Solo Camp!!

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Great! Glad to hear the knee is OK - did you have any after-effects? I think you were pretty brave to carry all that extra weight over these hills for your first outing. Are you a convert to camping now? Great views/photos too.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby weaselmaster » Wed May 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Good to see you back out and about, DB
Having done these hills a couple of weeks back, the memories of the climb up Sgurr an Fhuarain is still a source of mild horror :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby spiderwebb » Wed May 21, 2014 5:55 pm

DB, its not such a mud bath if you follow the path nearer the shoreline after crossing the dam. The obvious path takes you slightly up after the dam, but as I found out on my return there is another running nearer the shore.

No idea how or where I picked it up on the way out but I did and it was most definitely less soggy. Still a few bits here and there but far far better thamn the main route.

Great report :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Collaciotach » Wed May 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Gle mhath a Bhalaich .... good to see you back and recovering , a big round that and the drop between the Munro's would test even a fit fella like me :lol: :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby pigeon » Wed May 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Nice one DB,good to see you back :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 21, 2014 8:02 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Great! Glad to hear the knee is OK - did you have any after-effects? I think you were pretty brave to carry all that extra weight over these hills for your first outing. Are you a convert to camping now? Great views/photos too.
Hi Annie. The knees are fine, just sore when I bend the gammy one back to my backside! I didn't carry the tent round with me as left that at the dam. Will definitely be camping again. Cheers

weaselmaster wrote:Good to see you back out and about, DB
Having done these hills a couple of weeks back, the memories of the climb up Sgurr an Fhuarain is still a source of mild horror :lol:
The horror indeed, can't believe you carried all that gear up there!!!

spiderwebb wrote:DB, its not such a mud bath if you follow the path nearer the shoreline after crossing the dam.
Great report :D
I'll remember for the next time :wink:

Collaciotach wrote:Gle mhath a Bhalaich .... good to see you back and recovering , a big round that and the drop between the Munro's would test even a fit fella like me :lol: :lol:
A young man like you would make easy work of it :wink:

pigeon wrote:Nice one DB,good to see you back :thumbup:
Cheers, good to be walking again...and some catching up to do :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed May 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Just a mere 30km to break you in easily then :lol: Looking to do my first solo wild camp shortly, not quite so aprehensive after reading this :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Mancunian » Wed May 21, 2014 8:49 pm

So that is the explanation. I missed the DB reports and was wondering what had happened. Must be hard not to be allowed to walk in the hills when you have them right in front of you.
Great report. :clap:
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Brilliant, doots - enjoyed that :thumbup:
Great to see you're back........and even better now that you've got yourself a tent :lol:

Looked a wee bit muddy at times.....wild camping's one thing but wild showering...... :shock:

Won't be long before you're fully back into it and functioning like a cyborg :wink: - cheers :)

cyborg.jpg
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pollyh33 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Well done Paul for breaking free from the chains of injury at long last.

Did you feel that using the poles alleviated any new wear and tear on your dodgy knee?

Photos look ace but I don't seem to be able to find the link to the waterfall video, am I looking in the wrong place???
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 am

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you had to battle an injury... I've been there with my knee so I know the feeling :( Glad to see you back enjoying the hills, even if it involves a mud bath...
Strange, we did Gairich last year in August up and down the main path from the dam, and I don't remember it being too muddy... Maybe all the bog has dried after the hot summer, so we were lucky.
We still have to do Sgurr Mor and the Corbett, but I'm leaning towards the approach from Loch Arkaig :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dooterbang » Thu May 22, 2014 5:15 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you had to battle an injury... I've been there with my knee so I know the feeling
Yes, it's a real pain when unable to do the thing you most enjoy in life. Thankfully some of us make a recovery, must be awful otherwise! Great to be back out.

pollyh33 wrote:Did you feel that using the poles alleviated any new wear and tear on your dodgy knee?
Photos look ace but I don't seem to be able to find the link to the waterfall video, am I looking in the wrong place???
The poles did help, up and down! The video? Different forum :lol:

rockhopper wrote:Brilliant, doots - enjoyed that :thumbup:
Great to see you're back........and even better now that you've got yourself a tent :lol:
Won't be long before you're fully back into it and functioning like a cyborg :wink: - cheers :)
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">cyborg.jpg</span>
Cheers RH. Having the tent was really good as provided plenty of options, if I was too knackered I was planning to stay the night again. Yes, auto mode very soon :)

Mancunian wrote:So that is the explanation. I missed the DB reports and was wondering what had happened. Must be hard not to be allowed to walk in the hills when you have them right in front of you.
Great report. :clap:
Ha, 5 hours driving each way is not right in front of me (although i do have hills closer)...but I get your point, seeing you travel from further afield :wink:

lomondwalkers wrote:Just a mere 30km to break you in easily then :lol: Looking to do my first solo wild camp shortly, not quite so aprehensive after reading this :D
I like to challenge myself every now and again :wink: .
Good luck on your camping trip.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Thu May 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Dooters, out of interest how was the tent, been eying that one myself ?
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby foggieclimber » Thu May 22, 2014 11:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury Dooterbang. Glad you're on the mend, Excellent report.
Feeling inspired to get my tent out now too. Thanks.
foggieclimber

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland