walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helvellyn - Striding Edge, Swirral Edge.

Helvellyn - Striding Edge, Swirral Edge.

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Thu May 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Birkhouse Moor, Catstyecam, Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Catstyecam, Helvellyn

Date walked: 21/05/2014

Time taken: 4

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 949m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Helvellyn - With Striding Edge, Swirral Edge and Catstyecam

It's a Wednesday, the sun is shining and I have my opportunity to tackle Helvellyn on a clear day. I grab my bag (and apply a lashing of sun cream) and jump in the car heading for Glenridding.

Parking on the road leading up to the Travellers Rest (It's free, the joy :wink: ) I don my rucksack and head up the road toward the pub. I get no further than 100m before having to stop to take off my fleece as it really is that warm!

Layers succesfully removed I head along the steep path that runs alongside Miresbeck, turning around every so often to enjoy the views of Ullswater opening up as I gain height.

After following the path for a good while I reached the top of Birkhouse Moor, and Helvellyn with its two glorious ridges came into view.

I had decided to take Striding Edge on the ascent, and descend the other side using Swirral Edge. Making my way up toward Striding Edge I came across two gents, stopping to have a chat one of them told me that he got to the start of the ridge and vertigo took over, so had sensibly turned back. We chatted for a while about different routes up the mountain without the ridge walks before I bid them good luck and carried on.

Striding Edge in clear weather, is not for those with vertigo but fortunately I have never suffered from it! Choosing the actual ridge walk as opposed to the path slightly further down I wandered along the Edge thoroughly enjoying myself, stopping every so often to take photographs.

After the final scramble up to the summit plateau of Helvellyn I turned to view Striding Edge in all its glory.

I then strolled along to the summit point of Helvellyn. I wandered around the summit for a while, enjoying the phenomenal views in all directions of the Lake district. before making my way to the cairn at the top of Swirral Edge where I stopped for a spot of lunch.

I then descended along Swirral Edge, and carried on along the path to the summit of Catstyecam, before descending back to Red Tarn. I then followed the path winding its way down the Grisedsale Valley. A slight uphill segment at the bottom of the valley led up to Lantys Tarn.

From Lantys Tarn it was a simple downhill through a field of bluebells back to Glenridding and the car.

A superb day out, would definitely recommend to any who have not yet walked Helvellyn. 8)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Re: Helvellyn - Striding Edge, Swirral Edge.

Postby houdi » Thu May 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Makes all the difference when you get a nice sunny day. First time I went up Helvellyn the cloud line was right up to the summit edge. I was standing at the Swirral Edge marker cairn staring down, hoping it would clear long enough for me to see the way down, when a bloke stepped up out of the mist from Swirral Edge. I nearly sh*t myself!
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby colgregg » Thu May 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Ever the Lakeland classic. Glorious weather too, nice one.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby AJNicholls » Fri May 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Good stuff and nice pics too. Did Striding Edge last Saturday and Swirral Edge last Sunday. Helvellyn is certainly an interesting mountain. :)
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland