walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tougher round than expected

Tougher round than expected

Postby Backpacker » Sun May 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Conbhairean round

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 24/05/2014

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1322m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My girlfriend Leia and I hatched together some sort of plan a couple of weeks ago to head up to Kintail for the weekend. Plans A & B were the Brothers & Sisters, Plan C was Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Sail Chaorainn & Carn Ghluasaid and Plan D was to do something around the Cairngorms in case Leia had to work. Thankfully Plan D wasn't required and being unable to get a squad together for the weekend, Plans A & B went out the window so we settled on the one remaining.

Despite asking about wild camping locations in the area, I decided very late on Thursday night to book a camping spot as it was Leia's first time doing "proper" camping. We arrived at the Faichemard campsite in the early evening and set up the tent, the midgies were really out in force and despite the fags, candles, bbq, smidge, avon so soft etc, they really took a shine to me :lol:

In the morning we arrived in the big layby at Lundie about half nine and were away about 0945/1000, we plodded off up the hill towards the mast, the SGSR keeping us company and looking spectacular as it always seems to, and did all day. When we hit the mast we went right and the start of what turned out to be quite a long ascent. The start of the path is very boggy in places but as we got higher it seemed to dry out a bit and the start of the zig zags to the summit is as decent path, finally we made it to the summit.

ImageMe on Summit No1 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageLeia on Summit No 1 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

After a pause here for a couple of scooby snacks and a ciggie we set off for the 2nd summit, where disaster struck, while negotiating our way round the various boggy sections, Leia ended up going knee deep into one. I did try not to laugh as I knew full well karma would bite me on the backside later. The walk over (despite the bog) is quite gentle with ups and downs, until you get to the final pull, it's a bit of a steep bugger, we pushed on and really no time at all we were at our 2nd summit of the day.

ImageLeia on Summit No 2 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageMe on Summit No 2 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageThe Ben by GaryE1872, on Flickr

We had a quick break here as looking over, our 3rd target of the day didn't look too bad to walk over to, however, as we were walking over it seemed to be quite steep which would prove to be a challenge for our weary legs on the way back, we made not bad time heading over, once at the summit we plonked our backsides down for an extended break.

ImageLeia on Summit No 3 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageMe on Summit No 3 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Looking back at where we had just come the collective phrase can be abbreviated into 3 letters, the 1st letter is F, the 2nd S. Nothing for it, get off our backsides and just go for it. Eventually we were up at the bypass path and made our way over to the ridge, which was a pleasure to walk over, slight problem though, it didn't seem to be getting much lower. Suddenly the path disappeared and we realised that it was going to be a steep descent, we slowly made our way down through all the bog till we eventually hit the bottom, crossed the stream and steamed down towards the path back to the mast. We somehow managed to miss the path that runs north to south but we weren't really bothered, we were just wanting back to the car, both feeling a bit gubbed. We arrived back at the car about 9 and a half hours after setting off, not before karma set in and I ended up, up to my ankles in bog.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Tougher round than expected

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 25, 2014 9:40 pm

A good day for it - nice photos and the views are very clear :thumbup: On my (rather long) redo list of hills with no views :roll: Think I was luckier than you though and avoided the bogs 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sunny Speyside » Mon May 26, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Gary
Did these three yesterday, in freezing clag all day so it was lovely to see what I missed from your photos, I will go back another day as it seemed to be fine walk.
Cheers
Evie
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 26, 2014 8:45 am

Sunny Speyside wrote:Hi Gary
Did these three yesterday, in freezing clag all day so it was lovely to see what I missed from your photos, I will go back another day as it seemed to be fine walk.
Cheers
Evie

Hi Evie

I think the weather gods were nice to us on saturday, the blue skies rolled in and out and stayed dry for the duration, when we woke up yesterday morning the rain was battering off the tent. thankfully it hasn't put Leia off camping, although once we get into the wilds and there's a lack of hot showers, it might :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon May 26, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Gary that looked a fine day for that walk, glad the camping went well, it will be great and probably a must for Knoydart and the Fisherfields anyway. Good for back up if the bothies are full and also for pitching at anytime any place to suit yourself. I'm still trying to find how to pack lighter, always take too much and the extra weight is a killer :lol: enjoy your future big camping days, and by the way great photos!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 26, 2014 9:45 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gary that looked a fine day for that walk, glad the camping went well, it will be great and probably a must for Knoydart and the Fisherfields anyway. Good for back up if the bothies are full and also for pitching at anytime any place to suit yourself. I'm still trying to find how to pack lighter, always take too much and the extra weight is a killer :lol: enjoy your future big camping days, and by the way great photos!

Cheers Rod, I'm getting down to being stupidly lightweight at the moment, just bought Big Agnes, 2 man tent for around a kilo though I think I'll be replacing the guylines for something a bit more beefier
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon May 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Great report - good on you both for getting into the camping spirit. I think it takes some dedication! Too bad about the muddy bogs though.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 26, 2014 2:19 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Great report - good on you both for getting into the camping spirit. I think it takes some dedication! Too bad about the muddy bogs though.

I love a bit of camping, it's what I used to do a lot of before I discovered Munro bagging last year, now it's taken over my life :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Doghouse103 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Well done Gary great pictures mate, done those three with the dog last year but luckily for us it was dry, the only problem was keeping the dog away from the cornices!!! So the midges are back out :( .
I'm home in 10 days so we'll need to tackle the Brothers & sisters one weekend with the south ridge crew as that was a great day. I'm tackling the Mullardoch 12 in two weeks so i'd better get the midge net sorted out!!!!!
Doghouse103
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:7   
Islands:12

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Doghouse103 wrote:Well done Gary great pictures mate, done those three with the dog last year but luckily for us it was dry, the only problem was keeping the dog away from the cornices!!! So the midges are back out :( .
I'm home in 10 days so we'll need to tackle the Brothers & sisters one weekend with the south ridge crew as that was a great day. I'm tackling the Mullardoch 12 in two weeks so i'd better get the midge net sorted out!!!!!

Aye Jim they're back out in force, aye we'll try and get the SGSR crew together, along with a couple of additions
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Lmyk85 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:00 pm

Nice walk report Mr BP! I'm glad there's no snaps of me absolutely covered in bog filth!! Was a cracking round and a great couple nights in the tent with lovely hot showers :D , can't wait to head up that way again soon!!
Lmyk85
Ambler

Munros:61   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Lmyk85 wrote:Nice walk report Mr BP! I'm glad there's no snaps of me absolutely covered in bog filth!! Was a cracking round and a great couple nights in the tent with lovely hot showers :D , can't wait to head up that way again soon!!

I wouldn't do that to you, anyway you need to get your tally up to date
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon May 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Nice report with some great photo's :clap:

Don't we all just love the boggy ground, just love that sinking feeling - NOT :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland