walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Vane with a dog?

Ben Vane with a dog?

Postby Miniowner » Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 am

Hi everyone, i am planning on doing Ben Vane, possibly on Friday of this week if the weather plays ball :) and was wondering if any of you could advise on how safe it is for my labrador? I have read reports where people have taken dogs up there, but there seems to be a bit of tricky scrambling at the top? Is this safe enough and easy enough for her to do? I'll be on my own, so no-one to help with lifting her over really rocky parts :( Thanks in advance :D
Miniowner
Hill Bagger

Munros:77   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Vane with a dog?

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 28, 2014 10:24 am

You could always go up a different way: from the Sloy Dam or from the col to the west (or even make a circuit using both of these). These routes avoid any scrambling, though they don't have much in the way of paths to follow.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby SuperMillie » Wed May 28, 2014 11:12 am

I did Ben Vane from Sloy Dam with my dog and its no problem and as jmarkb says....there are no paths, but it's pretty straightforward
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby BigT » Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 pm

I can think of two parts on the path that could be a pain, but if you keep your eyes open I think both can be avoided.

One about 3/4 of the way up (big 4 foot clamber between two vertical walls has an alternate to the left about 10 m earlier, so you probably walk right past it on the upward clamber - I did.

The second is probably the rocky wall about 10 foot very close to the summit, fairly steeply angled. Look far right for this and there are good steps. I missed that on the way up but used it on the way down. I had went far LEFT- which was a pain, but probably not for a dog actually.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby Miniowner » Sat May 31, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks all, for your very helpful replies..i did two other munros yesterday but i think i will give Vane a go..with the dug ! Cheers :D
Miniowner
Hill Bagger

Munros:77   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tall-story » Sat May 31, 2014 5:33 pm

Miniowner, I can think of only around 20 or so Munros that may be an issue with any dog and a good lot of them were on Skye. As long as your dog is fairly fit and no a feartie you will be fine. :D
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion