walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

AJ's Completion Of The Wainwrights

AJ's Completion Of The Wainwrights

Postby Ibex » Mon May 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great End, Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Broad Crag, Great End, Ill Crag, Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 24/05/2014

Time taken: 6

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started work on Friday at 5.30am and managed to get finished for 3pm. Home for a quick shower and chuck my gear in the car, then headed off at 4pm up to the Lakes.
Of course I fell foul of the bank holiday weekend traffic. I got twenty miles south Birmingham and hit traffic there. The next two hours were a slow roll Northwards and in the end it took me just short of six hours to get to the Lakes.

I booked into the Ambleside YHA just after 10pm and met AJ in the bar. Three pints of Cumberland ale later and I hit the hay absolutely knackered. I was looking forward to the walk tomorrow and AJ’s completion, but was shattered.
In my hasty packing I had forgotten my ear plugs and we had an incredible snorer in the room. Got no more than three hours sleep that night

In the morning we got up early ish and headed to Seathwaite to meet Chris Murray, one of AJ’s other walking friends and a guy that has completed the Munro’s, but done few Wainwrights. This would be his first trip up Scafell Pike.
We headed off at around 9.30am and wandered up to Stockley bridge and then up Grains gill to Ruddy Gill. At the top, with a good view of Great End ahead, we turned left and headed up to Esk Hause

A brief stop for water and a quick bite to eat, then we headed up Calf Cove and to the path to Broad Crag. We took a detour and went to the summit of Ill Crag and did the same with Broad Crag about ten minutes later. Both of these are Munro furths, so it seemed right that Chris would bag these two as well.
We headed over the little col and up the climb to the Pike itself. Chris Murray led the way, with AJ behind and me a good distance behind that. Both of these lads are much more hill fit than me and I slowly followed in their footsteps to the top.
I was met with a nice surprise, as there were two young lads up there selling hot drinks to raise money for a trip to the Swis Alps. Chris had already paid for a tea for me, so I had one with two sugars, for the extra energy.
I stood on top the summit cairn for my sixth time and then quickly called the wife, who was on her way to a hen party. I drank my tea and took my only photo of the day, as I never had time to get the camera out, due to trying to catch up with Chris and AJ all day. This was the first time I had clear weather on Scafell Pike, so I took a photo of Scafell and Broad Stand, looking resplendent in the sun. Lords Rake clearly visible on the right.

(photo of Scafell)

We dropped down to the Lingmel Col and then shot up to the large and distinct summit cairn. This was AJ’s penultimate Wainwright. We almost immediately dropped back to the col and then took up the corridor path back towards Styhead tarn. After a while we decided to climb up the back of Great End, to the south of round how. The slog up a ghyll was really hard work. Of course Chris and AJ climbed it with no trouble at all, but I struggled up it like a geriatric. My calf muscles protesting the whole way.

I eventually struggled to the top of the ghyll, with Chris and AJ waiting for me near long pike. We then moved on to the top of the fell and aimed for the largest cairn. The excellent weather was finally closing in a little and clag was forming.
We stood at the summit of Great End, which was AJ’s final Wainwright. Chris and myself shook his hand and then Chris pulled out a mini bottle of champagne and 3 glasses, with screw on bottoms. We toasted AJ’s success and started discussing what he could ‘bag’ next.
AJ then pulled out 6 miniature bottles of whiskey and Chris and he tucked in. I don’t normally drink whiskey and though I was tempted this time, I declined. By this time the clag had really settled in and we had to navigate off of Great End, back to the top of calf cove and back to Esk hause. We turned to head back towards the path and things got a little confused.
We ended up at another large cairn and AJ checked his GPS. This was actually the summit! Whoops. So we had celebrated prematurely. If the clag had not come in, we may have missed the summit. There was another walker, who was coincidentally finishing his Wainwrights round, on Great End that very moment as well. He was lost as well, so we stuck together and navigated around a bit. In the end, we ended up back at the top of the gully we had climbed up, to get to Great End. This was ninty degrees at least, off of the bearing to calf. We made it back to calf cove and descended back down out of the clag, to Esk hause. We said goodbye to the other completer and headed back down past sprinkling tarn and styhead tarn and back down to Seathwaite farm. We descended at a steady rate, as I kept jarring my right ankle.

We got back to the car after around six hours of walking, in mostly good weather. We had picked up three Wainwrights, including the highest and two more Munro furths. All in all a great day in the hills, especially as AJ had completed his round (despite being 30 into round two).

We headed back to the Langdale YHA for a shower and wandered down to the Britania pub, after a wrong turning and a two mile extra walk through Chapel Stile. A fair few beers later and a wander back up the road in the dark, and back to the hostel for a well earned sleep.

What a day!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: AJ's Completion Of The Wainwrights

Postby AJNicholls » Mon May 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Had a lot of fun fiishing up my round, thanks for joining me.

Ended up climbing 34 Wainwrights and 28 Hewitts in 9 days without a break, so this week coming should be a bit more peaceful!

BTW, I had to take a selection of whiskeys up Great End. It would've been wrong to be at a party with a Scotsman and not provide a selection! :clap:
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby jackfrost » Mon May 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Nice report! The GPS track from Great End is a comedy of errors, my excuse was the mixture of champagne and single malt!

Good to meet you Tom, it was a memorable walk!
jackfrost
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:188
Fionas:37   Donalds:61
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:38

Postby Ibex » Mon May 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Was nice to meet you too. Nice to find a guy with a similar sense of humour to me as well.
All three of us sat in the Britania drinking ales was a good time.

Hopefully if we meet again, I will be a lot fitter. Shame theres no smegging hils in Oxfordshire to get hill fit on.

The champagne definately knackered our navigation skills. I was 90 degree's out on my idea of heading. Doesn't really happen with me normally......obviously the champagne. Ahem!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Well done on braving the bank hol traffic ibex. I missed it with a v. early start on Saturday and late finish on Monday, I realise that's easier when living in the north.

I think Great End's SE cairn is generally recognised as the Wainwright, so it's good you found that, especially for AJ's sake. The higher of the two would be the Hewitt of course, I don't know if anyone's sure which one that is.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby AJNicholls » Wed May 28, 2014 6:58 pm

The Hill Lists show a ref of NY 22672 08386 for the Birkett, Hewitt/Nuttall and Wainwright. Presume this is right as where they're different, like on Seathwaite Fell and Rosthwaite Fell, it's noted as such.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby simon-b » Wed May 28, 2014 8:36 pm

AJNicholls wrote:The Hill Lists show a ref of NY 22672 08386 for the Birkett, Hewitt/Nuttall and Wainwright. Presume this is right as where they're different, like on Seathwaite Fell and Rosthwaite Fell, it's noted as such.

Thanks, AJ. That would seem to fit the OS 910 m spot height at the SE top, then.

Rosthwaite Fell's highest point is a matter of opinion, I reckon. Some would say Rosthwaite Cam, others Dovenest Crag, depending on where they consider the boundary between RF and Glaramara to be. Bessyboot's the Wainwright, of course, all down to one writer's arbitrary opinion. Not forgetting the most important thing is to enjoy the walking and the views, of course!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Great to see you on the hills Ibex, and on such an important occasion. :) We are intending upon completing on Great End as well some time in October 2015.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Ibex » Wed May 28, 2014 10:12 pm

It was very nice to be in the hills again. Sad it was only for two and a half days.
The one big walk was good, but it knackered my legs a bit. Must do more cardio work and endeavour to get in the mountains more often, to get some hill fitness.

Did a little run up Stone Arthur as well, the day after. We pretty much fell ran off the top of it as well.

Can't wait to get back.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu May 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Nice report Ibex ...and well done AJ :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Excellent stuff Ibex well done. :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland