walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Alltbeithe 3

Alltbeithe 3

Postby gman » Thu May 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan group, Alltbeithe

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan

Date walked: 28/05/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 48.5 km

Ascent: 2020m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

alltbeithe 3 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Took an hour & a half cycling from Glen Affric car park to the youth Hostel, 7hrs on the hills and an hour an a half cycling back. Quite a few ups & downs on the track out and I was pushing the bike up the steepest bits, phew.

Left car park at 5am, nice landy track initially.

At the end of the loch the route forks to the right down to the bridge over River Affric at Althnamulloch. On the other side of the river the track got rockier so I was off & pushing a bit more often.

Path leads up beside the hostel so you can have a look inside...not much activity this early though. Easy path to follow in the clag, muddier higher up towards the bealach.

Back to Ciste Dubh.

Went up to An Socach first.

And had a look at the never-ending Mullach nan Dheiragain.

Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan.

An Socach cairn.

Then down for the short cut to Mullach nan Dheiragain, I'm nearly on the ridge here looking back to the bealach. The bog looks bad but it's easy to walk around the worst bits.

Knew there would be a lot of false summits emerging through the clag, eventually got the the end.

Then back for Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, ridge narrowed on the ascent.

Very claggy at the top, I just continued after the cairn in case it wasn't the actual summit then checked the GPS and walked back. Mistook the path to the bealach for the path I'd just come up so I ended up climbing down a very steep boulder field (thinking this can't be the WH route...can it? :lol: ) Returned to the top & saw both paths then the clag cleared and it all became obvious d'oh. Back down to the bealach:

And back down to the hostel:

The track back to Glen Affric starts & ends at roughly the same height so there isn't an easy coast back on the bike unfortunately, nice scenery though :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Alltbeithe 3

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu May 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Thats the way I did these 3 ....glad I wasn't the only 1 pushing the bike ! ! :lol:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu May 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Good hard day there gman, well done..know what you mean about the cycling bit..had to get a bike with suspension after that one..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby tall-story » Fri May 30, 2014 12:20 am

Hey G-man, we did this just a week past Tuesday and almost exactly the same route although we opted to leave the bikes at the cottage and just go straight up to An Socach first. So that would save on the push up and obviously a rough ride back to the cottage later in the day :wink: And we managed a sunny day throughout which made it even more of a pleasure :)
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland