walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardain from Crianlarich

Cruach Ardain from Crianlarich

Postby U059361 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 30/05/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 988m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked 200m in front of the welcome to Crianlarich board on south side of road next to the entrance to a field. Cars have worn a parking area here over the years. It is opposite the farm house. There is a bridge over the railway here and the ridge to be climbed is visible from the car park.
Ardain3.jpg
The view from car, bridge, Grey Heights, Cruach Ardain

A bit boggy getting to the bridge and a hint of what to come. A faint path turns right and heads over towards the trees. This proved to be very boggy and an exercise in trying to keep your feet reasonably dry. At the end of the trees, there is then a felled area with new trees growing in it. Any semblance of a path is lost here. Made my way over to the track that the map showed I needed to get to. A bit rough going through the leftovers of felled trees. The track was a relief when I reached it. Followed it round and up the glen towards the ridge. Eventually a small cairn is reached. This is the hint that this break in the trees is to be used to ascend to Grey Heights. It starts boggy and after crossing another track when it narrows becomes water and peat mixed with tree stumps.
Ardain2.jpg
Looking down the break in trees from where it narrows

Good job I dubbin my boots. It is still pretty wet out of the trees till the Heights are reached and the climbing starts in earnest. A style takes you over a deer fence.
Ardain1.jpg
The style leading to Grey Heights

After that it is pleasant enough and soon the view up the ridge to Cruach Ardain opens up.
ImageCruach Ardain Stob Garbh Stitch by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It is very up and down till the slopes of Ardain are reached then the final climb up to meet the path from Inverlochlarig. A short burst and the top is reached.
ImageTop with Ben More Stob Binnein by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageTop over Stob Garbh Stitch by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageTulaichean Stitch by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Great views all round, no wind so midges were in full flight all the way to the top. After lunch at the top, just returned same way. Could have walked to Stob Garbh but walking tomorrow, didn't want to over do it.
ImageRidge to Grey Heights by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCruach Ardain, Beinn a'Chroin, An Caisteal by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I took a slightly different route down through the trees. I didn't go down the narrow break. I walked between the edge of the mature trees and the new ones till I reached the tully tubes of deciduous trees and then cut over to the break. That way I missed the water and peat bit. I also walked further along the track rather than cut over the felled area and took a gap beside a burn before the next mature forest, aiming for the electricity pylon at the bottom. This was much better walking and even though the grass was hummocky at the bottom, I had dry boots till I crossed over the bridge to get back to the car. So I approached the bridge from the opposite direction I had gone up.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Cruach Ardain from Crianlarich

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 31, 2014 11:01 pm

looked a good day for it despite the boggy bits - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Cruach Ardain from Crianlarich

Postby BigT » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Excellent, been looking for alternate route into this peak, food for thought.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland