walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Terrible jokes on Beinn Bhuidhe

Terrible jokes on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby Quadbarrel » Thu May 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 28/05/2014

Time taken: 8.65 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 975m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather looked like it could hold today, but it was dubious, so for a change me, mum and Iona headed off to Beinn Bhuidhe as dad has already gone up it for his Caledonian Challenge training and even if the weather wan't good, we could still do the walk in.

Set off at a very late 7:15am :wink: and headed up past Loch Lomond, before the Rest and Be Thankful showed what mood it was in! :?
1.jpg
Miserable!

Anyway, we'll do the walk in!

GPX.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fortunately the weather decided to clear up in Glen Fyne, so we were more optimistic about climbing the hill.
2.jpg
The River Fyne

Set off along the road to the power station.
3.JPG
It's a long way!

After about 2km, we arrived in a field of cows, which, after watching a report on Countryfile last night, looked absolutely terrifying and as if they were going to kill us. :shock: Ended up going into the forest on the left in an attempt to bypass them :crazy: and finally got past them to the bridge over the river.
About a kilometre after the bridge, we came across a bridge at the lodgings.
4.JPG
Troubled bridge over water

Fortunately we didn't have to go across that so headed on. What a lovely place! (Is there one in the highlands that's not? :wink: )
Headed on to the point where we turned off the tarmac and onto the rough.
5.JPG
Old and New

Headed into the little woodland protected from the deer - what a lovely place - and along to Inverchorachan, before heading through the gate and climbing over the gate on the left, when we started the ascent up Ben Bhuidhe (the weather's not that bad :wink: )
6.JPG
Inverchorachan and Glen Fyne

7.JPG
It's only up there! Yeah?

8.JPG
Allt na Faing

The crags were quite craggy so we headed up and over, following the walk description.
9.JPG
Back down to the path

10.JPG
Whatafall!

Headed up past the waterfall and into one of the many boglands in Scotland. Surprisingly, none of us enjoyed the bogs so we just had to slog it out and reach the bottom of the ridge. From there we headed up the gully.
11.JPG
Uphill? When we're going up a hill?

12.JPG
Bogland - The land of bogs

Continued up the path where we met a man who told us everything there was to know about the conditions on Beinn Bhuidhe, including that the top was in the cloud :( and that we were 50 minutes from the top :shock: . Reached the ridge pretty soon after, it's going to be a long ridge!
13.jpg
At least we're on the ridge!

20mins (?!?) after we'd met the man, we reached the top. Also, the summit was out the cloud :roll: . But we can cope!
14.JPG
Loch Fyne

15.JPG
Lunch!

The cloud closed in while we were at the top but we went back down out of it.
16.JPG
It's getting cold!

Headed back down the gully, rather than following the Walkhighlands route.
17.JPG
It's steep!

Then it was back to bogland :(
18.JPG
A path delta

The cloud then descended dramatically.
19.JPG
Can't think what's coming next

:(
20.jpg
It had to be!

Because of the rain, bogland then turned into superultramegaunbelievablymuddyanddeadlybogland, which wasn't the best, but eventually we reached Glen Fyne, where the rain ceased (hallelujah!).
21.JPG
Ben Lui from below Beinn Bhudhe

Back through the woodland again. The girls said they had jelly legs - yeah right!
22.JPG
I can't keep up!

So it was back to the cows...
23.JPG
The Krazy Killer Koos of Khaotic Katastrophy! from the way there

They were having a nap! 8) :lol:
So, only 2km, or what felt like 5 billion miles, to the car.

(Just one new line would feel like it was over quickly)

And we were back at the car!
24.JPG
Hooray!

So, it was back to a nice nut roast 8)
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:146   Corbetts:52
Fionas:34   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:30   Islands:3

Re: Terrible jokes on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu May 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Well done in testing conditions :clap:

This is still on my radar, would a bike help with the 'walk in'? Looks like a fairly decent surface for cycling :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby stevescott88 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:22 pm

I done this on Tuesday and cycled as far as I could go. Best decision I had made in a long time I think, a good tough walk though
stevescott88

Munros:87   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Fabulous report and pictures. Good to see that you maintained your sense of humour through it all!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Quadbarrel » Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 pm

We were saying on the way in that bikes would have sped up the walk in, though maybe we concentrated on our surroundings more because we were walking? On the way back bikes would have been nice to speed things up, but I don't know whether our legs would have managed!

Shame with the woodland also that people think they can ignore the sign saying 'please don't cycle any further' because they're special and continue on anyway. :(

Where the sign is, there is suitable parking to lock up bikes as well.
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:146   Corbetts:52
Fionas:34   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:30   Islands:3

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 30, 2014 10:30 pm

that was excellent. I love the picture of the girls walking through the trees - where you claimed to be unable to keep up (though I don't believe you!)
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland