walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

nights are for walking, NOT sleeping...

nights are for walking, NOT sleeping...

Postby paul2610 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Route description: Sgùrr na Strì

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sgùrr na Strì

Date walked: 31/05/2014

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgurr na stri - that name, its just rolls off the tongue like some fancy tasty french wine - full bodied and darn great views...when the sun finally reveals itself, which eventually it did slithering its way upwards very slowly behind bla beinn as I waited patiently I might add while freezing my cackers off.

The plan was to try and capture "the range" during sunrise. Ye I know, a bad time of year to try that when the best time happens to be when even sgurr na stri would undoubtedly be upto its breeches in thick snow. So this was more of a recce and just as well I did: the track leading to the bothy is Ok, could do with smoothing out abit especially of the stones that like to shoot out from under you the second you've placed your weight on it - very annoying at night time. The track/trail what ever you may call it up stri slopes, was to say the least - missing, someone has gone and nicked it, and I would of seen it if it was their as the sun (or rather light from it) never really completely disappeared below the horizon giving more light then is available on full moon nights. Then again it could just be that everybody does what I did and follow the deer trails.

Bits of titbits - I found the best place to take the pan was not the summit but north west of it on the last outcrop before the drop down to the loch. Plus if like me you've never driven the road to elgol at night, the heaps of white stones that you suddenly see appear are not actually stones, they are sheep. Lord knows why they decide to bed down by and on the road but some even refused to move as I drove out.

Now for the pictures

bla beinns_walk.jpg

bla beinn from stri

sgurr nan eag_walk.jpg

looking down into the busy cullions port

both bothies below sgurr na stris_walk.jpg

A look back on my way out at the two bothies ( I presume they are both bothies?)

eilean donan midnights_walk.jpg

took this on the way

large bothy below bla beinns_walk.jpg

A view of the bigger building towards bla beinn

cullions pan1_walk.jpg

The Range, enough said

sgurr nan eachs_walk.jpg

Not technically part of the walk but a great shot nonetheless.
paul2610
Hill Bagger

Re: nights are for walking, NOT sleeping...

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat May 31, 2014 8:18 pm

You have some fantastic photo's there :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Fabulous photos! Love that last one of Belig with its reflection in the loch - was up there last week.

The sheep like to sleep on the roads at this time of year as the tarmac is warm and the ground is cold. No wonder they didn't want to move :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat May 31, 2014 11:15 pm

Well, well worth the early start, to judge from the amazing photos - really brilliant.

I too generally like to start out into the hills before dawn - the sunrises are unbeatable.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby paul2610 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 pm

yes of course the sheep would be there for the warmth AnnieMacD. I don't know the older I get the more the blatantly obvious things slips me by.

Alteknacker - I don't know if to feel pleased or not that their may be some one else wandering the hill at the darkest of nights, bad enough having stags shoot passed me....

Here's a link to the full size image of the range, photographically its not as good as I would of wished but it does reveal details of the slopes. Size is 11mb and 9000 x 2865.

www.mtn-m.co.uk/web%20components/cullions/cullions%20pan.jpg
paul2610
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland