walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Lusach, Mid Argyll - (& Where's Bacoch's Seat?)

Cruach Lusach, Mid Argyll - (& Where's Bacoch's Seat?)

Postby JimboJim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Lusach

Date walked: 03/06/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 400m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cruach Lusach is the highest hill in the northern part of Knapdale, overlooking Lochgilphead, Loch Fyne, Tayvallich and Sound of Jura. Climbed it many years ago (about 1984?) with a group of folk, but couldn't remember much, so have long had a notion to go back for a look. Having got fitter on the bike, I cycled out from Lochgilphead and got off the bike at Kilmichael of Inverlussa. Nice wee church and waterfalls here.
From there follow the track past all the buildings, onto a forestry road, which leads past a small hydro-electricity generating plant. This track heads steeply uphill, finally coming to an end at a small lochan which has an equally small dam, which one must negotiate by climbing across. There are also some good looking crags here, Creag nam Fitheach, for those who might like that sort of thing.
Once over the dam, the track is a bit feint, but heads off southwards, into the forest, before soon coming to a fork, where one joins a better track and must turn sharply left. Follow this road until it comes to an end, the crags and views towards Jura steadily getting more prominent. From here, one has to just pick a route by eye, to head through the birch woods and onto the hill, after finding a narrow spot to cross the burn. I tried to find Bacoch's Seat amid the birch, but couldn't spot it. Some foresters on the route told me I wouldn't find it. Clever fellows. Apparently, Bacoch was a robber in these parts many moons ago and his "seat" is a small lump of quartz.
It was a bit hard going up through the thick heather and a bit boggy here and there, but the views were worth it, I think.
Attachments
DSCF7441_1067_800.JPG
Crags on west face of Cruach Lusach
DSCF7419_1068_800.JPG
Croak.
DSCF7408_1067_800.JPG
Cuckooflower
DSCF7415_600_800.JPG
Heath Spotted Orchid
DSCF7447_1039_800.JPG
Birdsfoot -trefoil (the larger leaves belong to another plant , possibly Hawkweed.)
DSCF7440_1280_795.JPG
Tayvallich from further up hill
DSCF7437_1067_800.JPG
Across to Loch Fyne
DSCF7413_600_800.JPG
Tricky burn to cross.
DSCF7431_1074_800.JPG
Looking north towards Cairnbaan lochs.
DSCF7430_1028_800.JPG
The Paps
DSCF7446.JPG
NW to Tayvallich and Sound of Music - oops, Jura!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by JimboJim on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Cruach Lusach - where's Bacoch's Seat?

Postby orion » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Nice wee hill,isn`t it ? I had a bit of a tussle with vertical stream banks and a six foot deer fence when I done it about 7 years ago.From the map it looks like I followed roughly the same route as you on the way up but I found it much easier coming down the west face and then Gleann Buidhe.If I was going back that`s the way I would go .
Never seen Bacoch`s Seat either :)
Attachments
CreaganFhitich.jpg
orion

Postby JimboJim » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Yes, I should have mentioned the deer fence! I would think your route down would make for more interest and variety. Maybe try again next year?

Jimmy

orion wrote:Nice wee hill,isn`t it ? I had a bit of a tussle with vertical stream banks and a six foot deer fence when I done it about 7 years ago.From the map it looks like I followed roughly the same route as you on the way up but I found it much easier coming down the west face and then Gleann Buidhe.If I was going back that`s the way I would go .
Never seen Bacoch`s Seat either :)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Gavin99 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Jimbo , your wildflowers are :
1 ... Cuckooflower
2... Heath Spotted Orchid
3... Birdsfoot -trefoil ( the larger leaves belong to another plant , possibly a Hawkweed )
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby JimboJim » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi, Gavin, thanks for that. Not that I'm a flower follower, but always good to know. Have heard there's lots of orchids and other scarce plants out there, but wouldn't know one from the other.

Gavin99 wrote:Hi Jimbo , your wildflowers are :
1 ... Cuckooflower
2... Heath Spotted Orchid
3... Birdsfoot -trefoil ( the larger leaves belong to another plant , possibly a Hawkweed )
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Re: Cruach Lusach, Mid Argyll - (& Where's Bacoch's Seat?)

Postby AlisonFox66 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:59 pm

There is a forestry-free route from the south - which was used as descent when I did it
Wish I had used it as the ascent as I found the deer fences really difficult
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland