walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jet Provost on Goat Fell

Jet Provost on Goat Fell

Postby jwramsay » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Route description: Goatfell, from Corrie

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 31/05/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx

Saturday 31st May 2014 was forecast to be a really nice day, so I arranged to pick Peter up at 6:45am in Glasgow and we decided on hitting the Island of Arran with the intention of climbing Goat Fell.

It made a change to only have to travel such a short distance, as Peter and I have bagged most of the nearby munros, Fort William and beyond is becoming our normal drive. We arrived at Ardrossan and caught the 9:45am Ferry. (£3 to park for up to 24 hours in their car park at Ardrossan and £22.50 return for the 2 of us). This was going to be my first time on Arran and I can say right now, it won't be my last!!

Here comes the Ferry!

Caledonian Isles arriving at Ardrossan, Ayrshire:

The Ferry was packed to the rafters and we met a lovely family who were heading to Goat Fell too. Dad Gary showed us the 3 usual routes - Tourist route from Brodick, Steeper climb from Corrie and more arduous route from Sannox. We opted for Corrie as did Gary and family.

We leave Mainland Scotland in our wake:

and head straight to Brodick in Arran:

Gary shows us the route from Corrie with the return to Brodick down the Tourist Route (R->L):

Arran approaching fast after around 1 hour:

Ferry docked at Brodick Ferry Terminal with Goat Fell behind:

Goat Fell and ridge from Brodick:

When you get off the Ferry the buses are sitting waiting on you custom and we all boarded the bus for Corrie. The driver shouted the stop out and we all departed. The sign post says 2.5 miles to Goat Fell and 2.5 miles to North Goat Fell from Corrie. I had the etrex 20 and that wasn't far wrong. We left Gary and family and began the walk, aiming for North Goat Fell and then along the ridge to Goat Fell itself.

The walk starts along a tarmac road, but after passing the last house that fizzles out to a well defined track. In fact, the whole of this route has well defined tracks - never even got dirty!

Tarmac road leading to Goat Fell path from Corrie:

Dead reptile - Is it a snale (adder/grass/smooth) or a legless lizard or a worm?

You gain height quickly and eventually reach a fork that goes left for Goat Fell, joining the tourist path from Brodick or straight ahead for North Goat Fell. We went straight through and you have a lovely gentle walk through the valley until you reach the headwall where again, its steep going right up to North Goat Fell.

Into the Valley - North Goat Fell dead ahead:

Goat Fell Ridge:

Holy Isle at right with Ferry heading to Brodick:

This was our first WOW moment ... the sight of the ridge over the back with the witch's step was just awesome. Was this Skye?! That looks so dangerous!

The ridges behind Goat Fell with the witch's step towards the right:

Amazing view of the ridge:

The onward route from North Goat Fell (Right) to Goat Fell (Left) along the ridge:

Then the second WOW moment, the sound of a jet plane approaching. Not just any jet plane, but a "Jet Provost"! It buzzed the summit of Goat Fell a few times before disappearing back towards mainland Scotland. I got some great video of it and Peter got shots (planes are our passion, as well as hill-walking and photography). At the summit I lost count of the number of people who asked is we'd seen the plane, it was the talk of the steamie.

Youtube video of the Jet Provost (also included in the full video at the end):

We then attacked the Ridge to Goat Fell, using bypass paths where ever possible as we're scaredy cats (not quite the phrase I use in the video!). The views from along the ridge are just outstanding. Goat Fell delivers in spades. Peter and I though we'd died and went to heaven I can tell you!

View back to Witch's Step with The Firth of Clyde (right):

Peter videos the Ridge back to North Goat Fell:

The summit of Goat Fell is nearing:

The summit was like Sauchiehall Street, all that was missing was Melo! We recharged our batteries and departed at 3pm. Height is lost so quickly on that tourist route, 2000 feet in an hour. It's like a set of stairs! Soon we were in the woods on the gentler drop down to Brodick. We passed the temptation of the brewery, instead opting for some refreshing freh orange drinks from the Co-Op and we were there in plenty of time for the penultimate Ferry, the 6pm sailing, which got us back into Ardrossan at 7pm.

Peter on Goat Fell summit:

Jim (aka me) atop the Goat Fell summit:

View South from Goat Fell summit to Holy Isle:

Map Plaque on Goat Fell summit:

Witch's step:

What a day! After bagging 80 odd munros, this day is up there with the best. Goat Fell has everything! (but munro status)

Youtube Video of the whole day out:
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Jet Provost on Goat Fell

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Great report loved it & some stunning photo's :clap: :clap:

Been to Arran umpteen times & it really is a fantastic island, offers literally everything :wink:

Loved the video of the JP, being ex Air Force it took me back a bit, can't be many Jet Provosts left flying as they were ancient during my days in the mid 70's :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Your (sadly) deceased reptile is a slow worm, grass snakes are absent from Arran and it's definitely not an adder.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Munchie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Oh I'm with you on the love of Arran front Jim. My friend and I also had a similar experience last year with lots of WOW moments and we will defo be back. Stunning photos there which brought back lots of lovely memories .... cheers.
Munchie
Mountaineer

Postby GillC » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Said friend of Munchie here,,,defo as good, if not better day up there than many Munros. Special place indeed. (and back in Brodick for fish and chips before the ferry, perfect day :clap: )
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Nice report, glad you enjoyed Arran. The mountains are fab.

You should try a cycle next time, the island is great for that too.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby celt54321 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:04 am

nice post and pics,had a similar day wene i was on goatfell its a stunning place.
celt54321

Munros:50   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:3

Postby jwramsay » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:37 am

Slow worm - thanks!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland