walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

King in his castle, bull at its gate.

King in his castle, bull at its gate.

Postby Pete and Esther » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 31/05/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1040m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A sunny summer saturday meant it had to be a munro day. We parked in the large lay-by, got our gear on and set off over the wobbly stile and through the boggy field. There was a bull guarding the underpass but he let us go by with no more than a snort. We reached the turn-off at the fence fairly quickly and there was a clear path leading up Sron Garbh. I stopped to take a photo of the view behind us.
image.jpg
. The path occasionally faded out was mostly clear although sometimes wet. Once on top of the ridge the path is very well-defined. We stopped for chocolate, water and more photos.
image.jpg
. We then got a clear view of the 'castle'.
image.jpg
. The gradient up to the castle was very civilized. Although the castle looked slightly intimidating it required only some clambering to gain access and we could see the summit of An Caisteal a short walk away. Here is the traditional summit photo.
image.jpg
. And a picture looking back at the castle. We didn't spend too long on the summit as it was inhabited by a large tribe of small flies. The path to Beinn a'chroin was clear.
image.jpg
. We clambered down the rocky path admiring the stunning views and marvelling at anyone who combines Beinn Chabhair with these two. Its a long way down! Going up Beinn a'chroin was straightforward until we hit the scramble. This was naturally the point at which the chap behind us caught us up. As I don't find an audience helps my meagre scrambling skills any I let him go first - not sure he wanted to but hey ho. Pete hauled himself up next and I scrabbled up and covered myself in mud. Once past this challenge it was an easy walk to the summit where a kindly pair of walkers took our photo together.
image.jpg
. We made our way to the other top and then headed down to the glen. Again this was straightforward, in the main not too steep although with some rocky bits. Once in the glen we thought it would be easy! We forded the burn
image.jpg
. We then found the path alternated between clear and boggy and obscure and boggy with occasional dry bits to give us hope but then went back to boggy. To take my mind off it I took a picture of a huge boulder with a bush growing on top of it.
image.jpg
. Well I liked it anyway! It was some relief when we finally reached the Landrover track. We reached the car without further incident thankfully the bull had disappeared!
Attachments
image.jpg
Pete and Esther
Mountaineer

Munros:216   Corbetts:66
Fionas:8   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:108   

Re: King in his castle, bull at its gate.

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:22 pm

Great report, Esther. Enjoyed your pictures too. You are brave walking past the bull!!!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: King in his castle, bull at its gate.

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Nice pictures and a good read. Looked like a great day out with clear views, albeit a tad boggy in places.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland