walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tolmount and Tom Buidhe

Tolmount and Tom Buidhe

Postby David Lyall » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 01/06/2014

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 970m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another clear day staying at Glen Clova, today I decided to be sociable and join other members of the Langcraigs walking club to walk up Tolmount and Tom Buidhe. We set of from the car park at Glen Doll around 8.30.
The start of Jocks Road (800x600).jpg
the start of Jocks Road

We followed the forest track marked as Jocks road
up through the forest good walking gaining height gently all the time.
We emerge from the forest (800x600).jpg
We emerged from the forest

Once it leaves the forest the track can be seen heading up the flank of the hill once it gets to the head of the glen the path snakes up until you reach a shelter placed there in memory off some walkers who lost their lives in 1951.
Marie and Gordon were so pleased with their new home (800x600).jpg
Marie and Gordon were so please with their new home

We followed this path which gets steadily worse until it reached a small cairn here we took the low road which quite quickly seemed to disappear we headed across the valley and contoured up and along until we reached the top of Tom Buidhe a very flat unremarkable top, but we had good views over to the hill we had walk on yesterday Broad Cairn and Lochnagar.
At the top of Tom Buidhe (800x600).jpg
At the top of Tom Buidhe

After a quick bite to eat it was on to Tolmount a more interesting well defined top.
At the to of Tolmount (800x600).jpg
At the top of Tolmount

From here we could see the path that would lead us back across to Jocks Road, once back on this path it was just a case of following it back down just before the forest we took a path down to a right taking us over a bridge and followed the path through the forest on the opposite side of the river and back to the car park for 4.15. A good day and nice to have the company of Marie, Cathy, Gordon and Iain.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Tolmount and Tom Buidhe

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:58 pm

That brought back good memories of Dundee days when we had many a dander up Jock's Road. Glen Doll always made me feel I was in the Highlands! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Tolmount and Tom Buidhe

Postby David Lyall » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Ye its a great place it was my first time but I hope to be back soon.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland