walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Route description: Moruisg and Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 31/05/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15.75 km

Ascent: 1100m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have no idea why my walk distances seem to be so much longer than those of others for the same routes other than the fact that I faff about so much taking photos and I zig-zag and circle around looking at all the great views. This walk was no exception. On my GPS I use the trip data (which I learned is much more accurate that the track data) to record distance and metres of ascent so assume they are correct. But still it meant that I walked almost 4km more than the described WH route. Yikes!

I loved this walk. It's a bit of a slog to gain the summit ridge, but you start off at 150m so the car does a bit of the work for you. Once there, it's heaven on a beautiful sunny day. The views of all the surrounding hills are fantastic and I fell in love with the superb west ridge of Moruisg and have now promised myself the treat of walking the eastern ridge another time.

A little way up the slope and Fuar Tholl comes into view. Next to it it Sgorr Ruadh.
ImageMoruisg by anniesmountains, on Flickr

A bit further up and I heard the chug chug of the train. This is the main Kyle line (OK, the only Kyle line!) and way down in the valley was the train heading into Glen Carron - hope you can see it. Beinn Eighe in the background.
ImageMoruisg-2 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

ImageMoruisg-3 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Just after I finished the steep section where the two gullies almost meet, I caught up with a lovely woman from Blairgowrie. Her husband was up ahead but we plodded up to the summit together exchanging life stories! What a delightful couple. They had only 30 Munros left to compleat and I was the recipient of much wisdom and many tips of which more later. They stayed only a short time at the summit and headed off for Sgurr nan Ceannaichean where we were to meet up later. I made a circuit of the summit looking mainly to the east and south. Wow! Maoile Lunndaidh looks amazing from here with its huge corrie (Fuar-tholl Mor) - definitely need to get up there but it's miles from anywhere.

From the eastern edge of the Moruisg summit, you look down on Loch Cnoc na Mointeach. Beyond is Loch Gowan and Achnasheen.
ImageMoruisg-4 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The east ridge of Moruisg. Carn Gorm at the end but it doesn't register as a Corbett .
ImageMoruisg-5 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Looking towards the Fannichs with Fionn Bheinn bang in the centre.
ImageMoruisg-6 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Glen Carron with the Achnashellach hills looking grand.
ImageMoruisg-7 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Liathach and Beinn Eighe. You can see the car park way down below.
ImageMoruisg-8 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The rocks up here are slabs so the summit cairn is a work of art.
ImageMoruisg-9 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

This is my only photo of Maoile Lunndaidh from Moruisg and it's out of focus but you get an idea of the lovely Fuar-tholl Mor.
ImageMoruisg-10 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The Cuillin were emerging from the haze. You can also see the Lochcarron hills (Sgurr a Gharaidh and Creag na h-Iolaire) and the long ridge of Beinn Bhan behind. But Fuar Tholl really dominates the scene.
ImageMoruisg-11 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Beinn Eighe zoomed in. I'm thinking I may do this hill in two walks as that east ridge looks inviting.
ImageMoruisg-12 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Anyway, it was time to move on and get along the ridge towards Sgurr nan Ceannaichean - and what a fantastic ridge it is. One's attention now turn to SnC and Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a' Chaorachain. This ridge not only looks good but is a pleasure to walk. It's soft, but not too soft, moss and short grass. Oh the joy!

ImageMoruisg-13 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Coire Toll nam Bian. The descent path follow the burn after descending Creag a' Chait on the left.
ImageMoruisg-14 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Looking towards the bealach and then the ascent of Sgurr nan Cheannaichean.
ImageMoruisg-15 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Zoomed to the Cuillin.
ImageMoruisg-16 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

You can see the Applecross Sgurr a' Chaorachain (Corbett) behind the Lochcarron hills, Beinn Bhan, An Ruadh Stac and Fuar Tholl.
ImageMoruisg-17 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

As I ascended Sgurr nan Cheannaichean I came across the couple from Blairgowrie having their lunch so stopped and joined them. What a delight they were and I, as a newbie, gained lots of knowledge and tips from them. They insisted my pack was too heavy - I agree - so we were trying to eliminate objects. Of course I had a good reason for everything I carried but it does really weigh me down - literally. We decided the spare laces were the straw that broke the camel's back :lol:

They then went on down the hill and I headed up to the second summit of the day. It too had a great summit plateau if a bit smaller. Great views all round.

Looking back to Moruisg. I met another couple sunning themselves and having lunch just below the summit - you can see them heading down the hill on the left.
ImageMoruisg-18 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Summit plateau looking north.
ImageMoruisg-25 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Looking down Glen Fhiodhaig with Glenuaig Lodge far down the slope - Maoile Lunndaidh on the right and Moruisg on the left.
ImageMoruisg-19 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The way down Creag a' Chait.
ImageMoruisg-20 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Wide-angle of Maoile Lunndaidh - note to self - get a mountain bike!
ImageMoruisg-21 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Panorama of Bidean an Eoin Deirg, Sgurr a' Chaorachain, Sgurr Choinnich and the pointy Bidean a' Choire Sheasgaich at the back.
ImageMoruisg-24 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Unfortunately I couldn't stay up there forever so reluctantly made my way down Creag a' Chait. I somehow missed the right turn to avoid the ridge but didn't find it bad - actually it's another great ridge and not too steep. Had to get across a few peat hags and then crossed the burn to join the path. This is a lovely corrie (Coire an t-Seilich) to look at but I really had a hard time with the path/bog. You get on to a good bit of path and march along only to hit a bog and are up to your ankles in peaty mud - yuck. It took me ages to get down and there were a few choice words thrown out into the ether :lol:

See, it look idyllic, doesn't it?
ImageMoruisg-22 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Looking back up with a good bit of the path on the left!
ImageMoruisg-23 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

It was a great relief to reach the railway underpass and back to the car.

Altogether a fabulous day on two fantastic hills. Another world (Monar) opened up now too!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:37 pm

These are the best photos I've seen from these hills! I did it with a whole gang of folk on a dullish day and anyway I had no camera then so no visual record of it. It was first hill I did with Moira and remember blethering to her on the way over to SnC which was still a Munro then. So for me it was a good day for making a new friend and I remember very little about the hills. :lol:

Thanks for showing me what I missed! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Grand scenery. Like the patterns the cloud shadows make on the hills and the hazy horizons.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Nice to see this duo in summer colours. So different in winter conditions... The two gullies on the way up Moruisg were a display of icicles :D But at least all the bog lower down was frozen solid.

Beinn Eighe is my ever fav Scottish mountain and I'm aiming for the full traverse at some point... Kevin has done it, all tops in one go, starting from Kinlochewe, took 14 hours, so it's one of THOSE big days. Still think I can do it, too, just bring on good weather :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Great pics & nice to see the views from these. I made 3 attempts at SnC. The 1st time in winter we turned back at the summit of Moruisg in the face of a blizzard. The 2nd time we turned back at the bottom of the hill in pouring rain with my friend feeling ill. The 3rd time was a sunny day on the walk in but I reached the summit of SnC in clag - only for it to be demoted as a Munro a few months later!

Good to see Maoile Lunndaidh too, as that's now high on the hit list of my remaining Munros. Maybe I'll get the views from there!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby pigeon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Some very fine pics Annie,need to get back up there soon :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:38 pm

This is a fine walk and as you say once you get to Moruisg, it becomes a fine walk. You got a lovely day for it. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Fabulous pics as usual :clap: There can be no better place on the planet!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby GillC » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Smashing report Annie and great pictures,, it is indeed a slog straight up ,,i remember it well,,and we got nothing like your views. Nice hill. :clap:
Attachments
moruisg.png
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:32 pm

I do like the Achnashellach hills and your WR shows the area off at its best :thumbup:
Enjoyed that and a great set of photos - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Helen Bruce » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Wonderful! What a great day you had, and how lovely to have the time to really make the most of being up there.

I agree with others that the hills around Achnashellach/Monar are just fantastic. Your photos show the views we missed, so thanks for that! The forecast had been great when we set off, but we hit thick clag 700m up Moruisg, then sleet/snow showers (in October) and didn't get out of the mist until we were well down Sgurr nan Ceannaichean. It was cloudless by the time we finished, needless to say! Not a great walk but I'm now well inspired to get back there on a good day!

Thanks again.
Helen Bruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:160   Corbetts:81
Fionas:10   Donalds:20
Islands:46

Postby simon-b » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:13 pm

As the others say, it's a great area, Annie. Nice views, and well worth continuing to SnC.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks, all, for the kind comments.

Gill, I read your report before I tackled this one so I do appreciate the views. BTW I believe I did my MCofS navigation course with the woman on the left of the photo - she looks very familiar.

Helen, I think I've pretty much promised myself now to wait for good days with at least a chance of views before going up the hills. I realize that the ones I did in the clag don't have the same meaning for me. I'm definitely going to do Fuar Tholl again as I missed the grandeur of Coire Lair from that aspect. I know it will restrict me somewhat but the views are part of why I go up the hills!

BP, go for the Beinn Eighe traverse - you can do it! (It would be easier with two cars though.)
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland