walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Red Pike, High Stile, High Crag

Red Pike, High Stile, High Crag

Postby made in Scotland » Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Hewitts included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Date walked: 17/05/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First day back walking for a while and we decided to head for Buttermere, so headed over Honister Pass and parked in the NT car park at Buttermere as I have joined the NT and decided to get my moneysworth in parking. It was sunny, but windy on the tops, great views, great bluebells, fantastic day! Walked down to the lake and paused to admire the view.
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 017.JPG
Buttermere looking towards Fleetwith Pike
Then onwards towards Red Pike, though we had to keep stopping to check the view behind us.
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 lm 036.JPG
Climbing up towards Red Pike, looking back at Buttermere.
Good place to stop for lunch and see the crags that we would be walking above later.
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 lm 057.JPG
Bleawater Tarn.
Quite a steep climb from here up to the top of Red Pike but had to keep stopping anyway to admire the view.
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 lm 068.JPG
Looking down Crummock Water from the climb up to Red Pike.
Then the slippery, red, steep bit to the top. Met someone from Iowa sliding down rather faster than he intended to.
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 lm 071.JPG
Red Pike - the red bit.

Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 lm 107.JPG
Didn't take any pics on top of Red Pike as there were quite a lot of people hogging the cairn and it was quite windy. So moved on to High Stile which had great views of some hills for the future!
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 lm 112.JPG
Some places to go in the future.
It was quite windy on top so headed off to High Crag and then slithered down steeply via Gamlin End to the main path back toward Buttermere. Some great bluebells around here, I'd heard about the ones at Rannerdale but didn't know about these so they were a nice surprise.
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 054.JPG
Haystacks with bluebells.
Then headed back to Buttermere with the scent of bluebells and sunshine!
Red Pike High Stile High Crag May 14 060.JPG
Downhill towards Buttermere again. Looks very peaceful but my knees were complaining though!
Altogether a great walk on a great day, sun, lake views, hill views, not too busy, a tarn, crags, steep bits, easy bits, pub at the end, drive back over Honister and back in time for the cup final - apparently!
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Red Pike, High Stile, High Crag

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Fri May 23, 2014 7:13 am

Good walk that one, done the High Stile range myself a few times. Great weather for it to!
A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Postby AJNicholls » Fri May 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Red Pike Buttermere is my pick for one of the most knackering climbs in the Lake District. Thankfully the views are good to look at while people stop to get air back in their lungs!
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby made in Scotland » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:13 pm

A Drunken Taffer wrote:Good walk that one, done the High Stile range myself a few times. Great weather for it to!

Yes really good views all the time and the weather was amazing - hope it lasts.

AJNicholls wrote:Red Pike Buttermere is my pick for one of the most knackering climbs in the Lake District. Thankfully the views are good to look at while people stop to get air back in their lungs!

Yes it was slightly crazy to pick this one for the first walk for a while - rather steep! I've been running uphill on the treadmill over winter (by mistake - I didn't realise I was on an uphill setting until someone commented the other day) so I think that helped!

Well if you found it knackering and you've just completed the Wainwrights there's hope for me yet! Well done by the way!
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Great report and photos for a great walk! Yes, difficult on the knees but, those fantastic views made up for it :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Nice report of a great area love those Blue Bells. You didnt find any parts of a Lumix Camera on the way down from High Crag did you? :lol: :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland