walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Marsco

Marsco

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Route description: Marsco from Sligachan

Fionas included on this walk: Marsco

Date walked: 25/05/2014

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 742m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We returned to Skye following last years hiatus and were greeted with a wonderful evening, I made the short drive to Sligachan to take in the sunset and grab a few snaps.

ImageMarsco from Sligachan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCuillin from Sligachan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGlamig from Sligachan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCuillin Sunset by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

For the Sunday we had a walk up Marsco planned and set off up Glen Sligachan with light rain and occasionally blustery winds. Whereas the path up the Glen is very good the path up by the pretty Allt na Measarroch had almost as much water on it as the burn did. :lol: With the weather not looking great we decided to push on up to the bealach to get a wider view of conditions. We had lunch and decided things were looking up so we continued our squelch up the hill. We crossed the stunning Allt Mam a Phobuill with its watersides and falls and finally found consistently firm ground at around 500 meters.

ImageGlen Sligachan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageMarsco and Allt na Measarroch by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageConditions improving by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCrossing the Allt Mam a Phobuill by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie looks towards Loch Ainort by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGarbh-Bheinn's North Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The route steepened, but not too much, as we followed the fence posts all the way to the shallow col between the main summit and the small rise to the south. We had nice views out to sea and down to Harta Corrie but with the clag still sat at around 700 meters or so no Cuillin views yet. :( The boggy lower slopes were forgotten by now as we walked up the fine grassy sweep upwards until the ridge narrowed dramatically. The narrowness of the summit ridge comes as a surprise as none of the views of the mountain elude to it. For me Grace and Hughie it wasn't a problem but Nicola was decidedly unsure so all credit to her she battled through but had to sit down and cling on upon reaching the cairn (see photo). We returned to wider ground to wait for things to clear but we had no luck and returned the way we came.

ImageView from the bealach by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHeading up to the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie on the somewhat airy ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace and a nervous Nicola on the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie on the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

By the time we returned to the col Bla Bheinn and Garbh-Bheinn had just about emerged so I jogged up to the South summit to get a snap. We returned the way we came ruefully noticing Marsco had broken from the clag by the time we were back in the Glen.

ImageSgurr na Stri by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBla Bheinn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHarta Corrie by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGarbh-Bheinn and Bla Bheinn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageMarsco by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSgurr nan gillean by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGlen Sligachan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Marsco is certainly a fine hill even taking into account the lack of a summit view and the boggy lower slopes. I can certainly see why some regard it as the finest of the Grahams. All in all a great start to the week. :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Marsco

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Great pics and a cracking wee dog :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Fantastic photos as always. I'll have a good look at them on Flickr later. Good for Nicola sticking with it.

This one is very high on my list too - hoping to combine it with Ruadh Stac if it won't make for too long of a day!

Wow, I've just discovered something. When posting a reply, if you scroll down to the report and click on Expand View, you see the photographs much larger than in the report. They look really fantastic this way!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Fantastic set of photos :D One of the best viewpoints on Skye. I must visit it again.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Some stunning pics at the start of that report especially. Well done!! :clap:

The wee dug looks quite miserable, though… :lol:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Great pics and a cracking wee dog :D

Thank you and he certainly is. :D

AnnieMacD wrote:Fantastic photos as always. I'll have a good look at them on Flickr later. Good for Nicola sticking with it.

This one is very high on my list too - hoping to combine it with Ruadh Stac if it won't make for too long of a day!

Wow, I've just discovered something. When posting a reply, if you scroll down to the report and click on Expand View, you see the photographs much larger than in the report. They look really fantastic this way!

Thank you Annie, Marsco's a great hill, it should be OK to combine with Ruadh Stac as, boggyness apart it's easy going. Can't find the expand view thingy however :?

BlackPanther wrote:Fantastic set of photos :D One of the best viewpoints on Skye. I must visit it again.

Thank you and of course you should, best place on earth for me :D

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Some stunning pics at the start of that report especially. Well done!! :clap:

The wee dug looks quite miserable, though… :lol:

Very kind, Hughie hates his photo taken but he liked Marsco, plenty of grass to scamper around on.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Loved the first few photo's absolutely stunning :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Stunning photos, i got this earmarked for my next trip to Skye :clap:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Nigels3011 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Good report. Great photos. I did Marsco on Wednesday last week and yes, the path up by the Allt na Measarroch is a wet trudge but the summit is such a great place to be. I stayed up there for nearly an hour, even though it was a bit chilly, waiting for the cloud to clear from the Cuillin ridge. The views were still stunning. Had the whole hill to myself all day too.
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Fantastic report, walk and pictures. Superb. :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:39 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Loved the first few photo's absolutely stunning :clap: :clap:

Johnny Corbett wrote:Stunning photos, i got this earmarked for my next trip to Skye :clap:

jupe1407 wrote:Fantastic report, walk and pictures. Superb. :clap:

Thanks all for the kind words

Nigels3011 wrote:Good report. Great photos. I did Marsco on Wednesday last week and yes, the path up by the Allt na Measarroch is a wet trudge but the summit is such a great place to be. I stayed up there for nearly an hour, even though it was a bit chilly, waiting for the cloud to clear from the Cuillin ridge. The views were still stunning. Had the whole hill to myself all day too.

Thank you, the summit is indeed great and it must be awesome to get a full Cuillin view from here, I'm sure it's well worth the wait but we were getting hungry :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland