walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I'm Back!! 5th Munro :)

I'm Back!! 5th Munro :)

Postby smeggles7 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 31/05/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi guys! :D

So after my ORDEAL while bagging Narnain, I am back and took on Schiehallion on 31.5.14 for my 5th munro, and what a wee beauty it was! For some reason I decided to wear the brightest top I owned... Oh well... At least someone would be able to spot me if I got lost again :lol: (JOKE! I totally know that I need to be able to look after myself. I just didn't realise how bright my top was until I looked back at the pictures!! :lol: ).

It was a lovely day, but slightly overcast around the Schiehallion area. My boyfriend Ross (on here known as Rossco), and I set off from the Braes of Foss car park where we struggled to get parked because it was quite busy! Schiehallion looked impressive from the car park and I was excited for this one...!

ImageDSCF2447 by meganccoombes

The flat path on the lead up to the ascent was very enjoyable in the sunshine with being able to see all around the area.

ImageDSCF2449 by meganccoombes

The path is excellent and you have the views almost instantly as soon as you begin the ascent! I found it a wee bit steep in places as the incline for the first wee while doesn't seem to let up, and there was some huffing and puffing from me! Maybe that was because I hadn't gone near excercise for about 3 weeks! Who knows?! :shock: I was definitely put to shame by a few kids haha :lol: A few stops for a rest and to enjoy the views were had...

ImageDSCF2457 by meganccoombes

ImageDSCF2455 by meganccoombes

This was easily the busiest walk I've been on... And I've been up Ben Lomond :shock: !!! Lots of people out with their dogs too. One guy we came across had a lovely little dog who was doing amazing since the wee guy was almost blind. Hi there if you're reading! :D

As we reached the boulder path, the summit just looked awesome! This is where I would be tested as I am not always so confident on my feet, especially when navigating my way over areas like this! It was a challenge for me but I'm getting more and more confident with every trip out! :D Ross as usual was practically running over this section... show off :wink:

ImageDSCF2462 by meganccoombes

ImageDSCF2465 by meganccoombes

Finally we reached the summit, where we were ATTACKED by midgies (wee buggers!!) but I wasn't too bothered at first... just really excited that my no. 5 was well and truly BAGGED! Oooh yeaaahhh. I always get a great feeling when I reach the summit!

ImageDSCF2478 by meganccoombes

ImageDSCF2480 by meganccoombes
Ross being more casual on his 64th munro haha

Unfortunately, we didn't have the summit to ourselves but we did manage to find a quiet spot with great views to sit and have our lunch. This time it was my turn to make sandwiches for this trip. I failed miserably and definitely defy the stereotype :lol: my sandwich making skills are definitely lacking!

ImageIMG_4730 by meganccoombes

Sitting around attracted the midgies so it wasn't long before we got up and were on the move again back down across the boulder field. I actually enjoyed this part! I had practiced it on the way up and felt like I was moving quite quickly on the way down. It wasn't long before our knees started to really bother us (we both have dodgy knees!) but it was still enjoyable and it felt like we flew down the hill!

ImageDSCF2492 by meganccoombes

ImageDSCF2503 by meganccoombes

ImageDSCF2501 by meganccoombes

ImageDSCF2488 by meganccoombes

ImageDSCF2486 by meganccoombes

A great walk!! We arrived back at the car very satisfied despite the sore knees :D

ImageIMG_4725 by meganccoombes, on Flickr
smeggles7
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Re: I'm Back!! 5th Munro :)

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:24 pm

Nice one, Megan - that looked a lot more enjoyable than your walk on Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime !
Sandwiches looked a bit squashed but probably still better than my standard filling of cheese and marmalade... :roll:
Bright pink looks OK...............not sure I can say the same about the colour of Ross' glasses though :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:12 am

Nice one Megan, glad you enjoyed it :wink:

That wee cairn looks like the one I assisted my grandson make when the juniors hit Schiehallion :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby smeggles7 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:04 am

Cheese and marmalade?! Not together I hope!! :lol:
smeggles7
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:28 pm

smeggles7 wrote:Cheese and marmalade?! Not together I hope!! :lol:

Absolutely, yes !....in my simplistic way of looking at it.....Bread = carbohydrates....Cheese = fat / concentrated calories....Marmalade = sugar / instant calories
Tastes great and easy to make :thumbup: ....though can get a bit squashed in the rucksack :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby smeggles7 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:50 pm

rockhopper wrote:

Absolutely, yes !....in my simplistic way of looking at it.....Bread = carbohydrates....Cheese = fat / concentrated calories....Marmalade = sugar / instant calories
Tastes great and easy to make :thumbup: ....though can get a bit squashed in the rucksack :lol: - cheers :)

Hmmm... I would say I'd just take your word for it but you have intrigued me! :lol: I'll need to try this now
smeggles7
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 am

Another vote for cheese and marmalade, though when walking with husband it has to be cheese lettuce and tomato in case he gets the awful shock of eating mine by mistake.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby GillC » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:24 am

smeggles7 wrote:
rockhopper wrote:

Hmmm... I would say I'd just take your word for it but you have intrigued me! :lol: I'll need to try this now

well done you...on the sandwich front,,i love my peanut butter and jam,,,instant sugar hit and slow release from the nuts,,,cant beat it :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby ALANREIDHILLS » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi Megan,

My daughter is a Meggan (yes double 'g') but it was really the goggles that caught my eye in your pics; a fine pair!
I am about to collect a wrap-around pair more like Ross's - bright side-light does me in these days.
I may start following your progress as a way of revisiting all my old haunts. I am now easing off the high ground among the 700m heights in Scotland.
A few favourite snacks that have kept me going over the hills and years are: peanut butter & marmalade, cheddar and jam and straight Philadelphia and Granny Smith (no bread).

Keep up the chat, it's good entertainment, but you might tone down the 'tops' if you want to see any wildlife on your adventures. :D

All the best with the Munros, a really worthwhile aim as you are already discovering.

Alan
ALANREIDHILLS
Wanderer

Munros:94   Corbetts:197
Fionas:90   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:14   Islands:63

Postby monkeybeaver » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:44 pm

:clap: Well done. Nice report of what looked a lovely walk.

Love the glasses. Remind me of a pair of Briko glasses I used to own. Throw back :D
monkeybeaver
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland