walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A solo 2 day adventure walk around Loch Treigs 5 Munros

A solo 2 day adventure walk around Loch Treigs 5 Munros

by Mountainlove » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 am

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Chno Dearg, Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 01/06/2014

Time taken: 14.5 hours

Distance: 33.6 km

Ascent: 2672m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A solo 2 day adventure walk around Loch Treigs 5 Munros

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:55 pm

That's a great trip in fine weather. I sometimes take peanut butter sannies up the hills but dont take the jar, way too heavy :shock:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:17 am

Shug wrote:Really nice photos and great trip report, even if it making me feel itchy after reading it!
Sounds like a remake of Alfred Hitchcocks The Birds, but with midges! :lol:

Many thanks! I do wonder why no one did such a movie yet (too horrific?) :lol:

dogplodder, pigeon, scottishkennyg and jimandandrea
Thank you and yes to think the midges will only get worse... :roll:

Collaciotach wrote:A good round indeed and you hit the jackpot weather as well . Its a grand spot you camped at not far up the Glen is Staoineag Bothy another cracking spot , some famous Gaidheal from the Creaguaineach area :D .... the Campbell family left in the 60's not that long ago really.
but dissssssppointed
no bikini shot :wink:
haha ..Well done :clap: :clap:

Thanks for that info about when the family left- had been wondering about it as the house still looked in pretty good nic. Lol I am sorry to disappoint about no bikini shot :wink: 8) :lol:

Just me wrote:Well done, this has been on my bucket list for some time. I think your report may just have encouraged me to do it :-)

I can only recommend that walk :thumbup:

mrssanta wrote:Lovely. We were just wondering if there was a report for such a trip, and up it pops! And smashing weather.

Same to you...I think the two of you would enjoy that trip as well next time your up in the highlands

Johnny Corbett wrote:That's a great trip in fine weather. I sometimes take peanut butter sannies up the hills but dont take the jar, way too heavy :shock:

I agree although I once took a small jar of honey...but that was small in comparison what they carried :roll:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:30 am

Well done there Mountainlove, this is a superb report on your solo adventure. It's inspiring me to try the overnight camp thing, as i feel the time im spending int he car to the hills is almost as much as the time im on them :crazy:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby old danensian » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:47 pm

What a "beastie" nightmare - glad they didn't stray further east for my camp out the night before - I just got roaming deer!

Well done on a super five - and what a difference to the summit scene a couple of weeks make on Easain.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:37 am

Beaner001 wrote:Well done there Mountainlove, this is a superb report on your solo adventure. It's inspiring me to try the overnight camp thing, as i feel the time im spending int he car to the hills is almost as much as the time im on them :crazy:

Oh I know the feeling!! I am trying to get weekends away now, as the drive seem to get longer and longer :roll: and there is nothing worse like sitting in the car for 8h when you are planning a 6h walk...

old danensian wrote:What a "beastie" nightmare - glad they didn't stray further east for my camp out the night before - I just got roaming deer!
Well done on a super five - and what a difference to the summit scene a couple of weeks make on Easain.
OD

I have read through report just before and was glad most of the snow was gone, although camping on snow would have been probably the only cure against the midges that night. Your timings were also great...at least I had an idea how long I would need :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:26 am

Excellent report ML... with great pics.
I did B Na Lapp on a through walk from Glen Nevis to Laggan.... not enough energy to drag my sack up another 4 munros on the way!!
You and Mountainstar certainly lead on lightweight backpacking (terra nova tent?)
:clap:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:39 am

Scotjamie wrote:Excellent report ML... with great pics.
I did B Na Lapp on a through walk from Glen Nevis to Laggan.... not enough energy to drag my sack up another 4 munros on the way!!
You and Mountainstar certainly lead on lightweight backpacking (terra nova tent?)
:clap:

Many thanks :D Thats good going to do Beinn na Lap from Glen Nevis!!
My dachshund garage ehm tent is a Coleman Rigel X2. Bizarrely faithful and super light, never thought it would last as long when I bought it :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Ibex » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Fantastic walk report there. Wonderful photo's too!

You do some pretty impressive wanders in the hills. I marvel at your ability to get all that gear in the bag at just 13kg. My bag seems to be around the 11kg mark, with no tent, extra food, or cooking equipment in. I always overpack and make it harder on myself.

Your brave going for a swim in the Loch of Death. Can imagine how cold that must have been. Brrr. Though I know how good it is to get the sweat off.

Great report ML, may have to look through your others. :D
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Great report with the usual fabulous pix.

The day before I was snapping the Grey Corries from the opposite direction. Scotland is so wonderful when it's like this! (sigh)

Practical stuff:
1. What's this super lightweight tent you're using? I was dead chuffed with my 2.5kg 3 man (= can be used for 1 - 2 people). Is it really watertight? I'm wanting to try some overnighting, but have fought shy of it because of long-standing back issues; but then I always carry about 8kg of back-up stuff because I usually go solo, so I figure I might be able to manage a few more kilos...
I want to spend at least one wild night in Knoydart this year.

2. Midges: I camped at the midge reserve in Glencoe the night before you. Before we exited the car to put up the tent (at midnight) we donned midge nets, tucked in socks, sprayed hands with DEET - and in spite of determined attacks by the ravening hordes, we escaped unscathed. Ditto the following morning. If you haven't tried them, I can really recommend the head nets. After all, the Mongolians have been using them for centuries...

3. Sore feet. I see you use boots. I exchanged boots for cross trainers about 15 years ago, with the result that I never get blisters or (at least very) sore feet; and I NEVER turn over my ankles, which my doctor son says is probably due to the increased muscle/ligament strength you get of necessity as a result of not having any ankle support from boots. I did the Cuillin Ridge a couple of times, the Mullardoch Round and the Welsh 15 3000ers in this foot gear, without any problems. Might be worth giving it a try??

Keep those reports rollin'
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Well done as always .., not been wild camping in a while ,.. Need to join you :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby smalltounboy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Fantastic report, inspires me to look out my tent and wild camp as well

Mark
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Wow... what a fantastic trip, and stunning photos. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Its prompted some planning for later this year ...
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Don't know how I missed this. What an astounding walk/camp. It must be very liberating carrying everything you need on your back and then stopping wherever you feel like. The midges are the bane of the Highlands in summer, and one never gets used to them. :( Great report.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby MunroMadMen » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:51 am

Looks awesome, great report and looks like you had a fantastic time. Pics are stunning.....

Great read

G
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:57 am

Ibex wrote:Fantastic walk report there. Wonderful photo's too!
You do some pretty impressive wanders in the hills. I marvel at your ability to get all that gear in the bag at just 13kg. My bag seems to be around the 11kg mark, with no tent, extra food, or cooking equipment in. I always overpack and make it harder on myself.
Your brave going for a swim in the Loch of Death. Can imagine how cold that must have been. Brrr. Though I know how good it is to get the sweat off.
Great report ML, may have to look through your others. :D

Many thanks!! :D
The great thing about over packing is that it is a great workout and gets your muscles used to carry heavier gear!

@Alteknacker
Regarding your questions..

My tent is a Coleman Rigel X2. I used it in the rain and stayed dry, but would not want to test it in any worse conditions. I use it only for these kind of trips when I know it will be dry and pleasant. For all other trips I have a basecamp type of tent which is fully water and storm proof. :D

Regarding the net is a thing I should remember ...have at least 2 at home :roll:

Regarding wearing trainers, it is something I have thought about for a while. But my feet only tend to get sore when I carry a heavier backpack and thats the times when you should wear boots I believe. But I do like the idea :thumbup:

mountain thyme wrote:Well done as always .., not been wild camping in a while ,.. Need to join you :)

Oh nothing beats a good wild camp- lol although next to the car is great as well (all the gear you don't have to worry carrying) ... :D

smalltounboy wrote:Fantastic report, inspires me to look out my tent and wild camp as well
Mark

I can only recommend it!! :thumbup:

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Wow... what a fantastic trip, and stunning photos. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Its prompted some planning for later this year ...

Will be looking forward to read your trip report when you go!

AnnieMacD wrote:Don't know how I missed this. What an astounding walk/camp. It must be very liberating carrying everything you need on your back and then stopping wherever you feel like. The midges are the bane of the Highlands in summer, and one never gets used to them. :( Great report.

Many thanks...it is great, but also very tempting to stop earlier than you have to :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

38 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland