walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first munro, feat Ben Nevis + the 45 second walking pole

My first munro, feat Ben Nevis + the 45 second walking pole

Postby Catmeena » Fri May 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 15/06/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am now, and was at the time of climbing Ben Nevis a beginner. I generally shy away from walking whenever possible :)
But we spent a glorious day doing Ben Nevis for my birthday last year.

cloud view.jpg
The mist rolling overhead

Spectacular views almost immediately, we had terrific weather for most of the ascent, After a significant amount of puffing and panting on my part (my 2 friends are a lot fitter than me!) and the occasional curse, we reached the top. Sadly the summit was shrouded in mist and snow, but the novelty of the huge temperature change made up for it.

top.jpg
Finally reached the summit!

As did sliding down a snowy embankment on our arses, almost taking out a very polite climber on his way up, apologies sir!

Snowslide.jpg
Sliding down the snowy patch, the only time we needed our waterproofs!

My ebay walking poles snapped in half less than 1 minute after removing from my pack, they withheld just long enough for 1 picture, so I ended up carrying 4 pieces of what I can only assume is painted uncooked spaghetti around until we reached back to our accomodation when they were promptly thrown in the bin!

45sec pole.jpg
Single use walking poles ;-)

We could barely move once we sat down, and managed only a single pint in the Ben Nevis Inn before crawling into bed, a very disappointing performance on that front.

It is imminently doable in good weather conditions with an excellant path so don't be put off by the height!
Catmeena
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:6   Donalds:1

Re: My first munro, feat Ben Nevis + the 45 second walking p

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:11 am

Looks like you had a great day and your pics are stunning, Need to get Nevis on my list

:) G
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland