walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath Chuil from Glen Lochay

Sgiath Chuil from Glen Lochay

Postby seamus0 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Route description: Sgiath Chùil and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 07/03/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 921m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Travelling from the Lochearnhead direction, take the A827 to Killin. Drive through the village, over the falls to the other end of the village. Drive past The Bridge of Lochay Hotel, drive over the bridge and take the next left. Stay on this small road for approx 12 Km, passing a power station on the left, and driving along the River Lochay on your left. The road eventually ends at a crossroads near KenKnock farm. You should see the large water pipes in front of you and a small bridge with a gate (which is nornally closed). There's plenty of room to park a car here.The track heads further west. Ignore this westerly route. Instead you will see another track and bridge over the river lochay, heading south. Take this one.(ref-466364)
P3072240_new.JPG
Start of Walk

Go over the stile, and follow the path, heading in a southerly direction.You should see it snaking up the hill. After about 1/2 hour climbing you should come to a small pump house, which marks the end of the track (466356).
P3072235.JPG
Pumphouse

Climb over another stile, and head towards the edge of the forest corner, then head due south. Keep climbing slowly in a southerly direction. The first section is a bit boggy (even in the snow) and rough clumps.Visibility was poor, and snowy underfoot.Keeping south means you cant go too far wrong. Eventually after a couple of hours, you should reach the top of the broad ridge. There are essentially 2 false summits at the top of this ridge. The last one at 921m is the one to go for (463318). Be wary in poor visibility there's a wee drop directly south from the top, so dont head that way.
P3072215.JPG
Top of hill

We hung around at the top for a while, to wait until the weather broke. After some time we were rewarded with some views of Stob Binnein and Ben More in the distance.
P3072226.JPG
Stob Binnein & Ben More

Coming down with the weather breaking, we saw what was climbed, and evidence of some avalanche in the distance. The snow was starting to melt, and can only be presumed near the last of the winter white stuff.
P3072230.JPG
Coming Down

All-in-all it turned out a good winter day (even if the weather did take its time to sort itself out!). This walk could probably be done in half the time in 3 or 4 hours. We just took our time in wet snow and poor visibility in the beginning. As you start at 200m, it makes it a decent wee hill with a bit of a head start! Look at including Meall Glas for a good summer walk!
P3072236_new.JPG
Power pipes
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Sgiath Chuil from Glen Lochay

Postby hills » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Good info there, thanks for that..
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby rspat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:51 am

I'm puzzled...

Why's there no snow on Ben More and Stob Binnein in your pic?
rspat
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:2

Postby seamus0 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Yeah, it does look like there's no snow...however that's the effect we saw on the day. Some trick of the light I guess.
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Oooh I might go that way. I climbed Meall Glas from the south (boggy as anything!) and wimped out of the steep down and up that links it to Sgiath Chuil - and not sure I fancied the bogs again!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:22 am

I did Sgiath Chuil and Ben Cheetah and his mate from the Glen Lochay side and would certainly recommend Ben Cheetah et al that way. Can't say I enjoyed Sgiath Chuil at all - it was just a long, wet and steep slog in bad weather. But I wouldn't dream of linking the 2 walks together although I see it's suggested by a lot of books and others have - it's just too much effort and too much of a drop between them! I also thought Ben Cheetah and its Munro made a nice round on their own from Glen Lochay... Keep meaning to put out a report for it...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland