walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Five Sisters with a little add on!

The Five Sisters with a little add on!

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 07/06/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 1656m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Saturday of the Argyll Mountaineering Club June's Meet which was based at the Ardelve Camping site near Dornie had arrived and all members and guests had discussed their preferred options the night before over a few drinks. Last year I had done the Brothers and others at this Meet so it was time to tackle The Five Sisters this year. Weather forecast was good so with the use of two vehicles being a bonus the two of us headed on up Glen Shiel to the starting point the Bealach an Lapain car park at 009136. We were booted up and ready to climb by 0830hrs. The first section being probably the wettest and steepest underfoot conditions encountered for the rest of the day. Within the hour we had reached the cairn marking the top of the Bealach.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Arriving at the Bealach looking West
3.JPG
The Rodmiester at the Bealach looking East with The South Shiel Ridge in the background
4.JPG
Heading on to the Munro Top Sgurr nan Spainteach. There is a well worn path along this very popular high ridge walk. In fact it's so well documented already I will just post a few photographs along the ridge.
5.JPG
First sighting of any snow on the ridge
7.JPG
What awaits us
7.JPG
Further along the ridge
8.JPG
Wonderful views all around, fabulous day out!
9.JPG
A short down climb section after Sgurr nan Spainteach
10.JPG
The large cairn on top of Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe the first Munro and second Sister
11.JPG
Me on the summit cairn
12.JPG
Sgurr na Carnach and Sgurr Fhuaran the highest of the Sisters standing at 1067m
13.JPG
Looking over Glen Shiel towards The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and the Graham Biod an Fhithich
14.JPG
First sighting of Loch Duich
16.JPG
Climbing up the rocky slopes of Sgurr na Carnach
17.JPG
Arriving at the summit of Sgurr na Carnach the third Sister. This was promoted to Munro status in 1997
18.JPG
Coming off Sgurr na Carnach towards the Bealach, another down climb with no difficulties, just care required
19.JPG
On the summit of the fourth Sister Sgurr Fhuaran.
20.JPG
View towards Loch Duich from the summit of SF
21.JPG
The final Sister Sgurr nan Saighead a Munro Top. To get to this you head off the previous summit West but as said earlier a well worn path is in existance
22.JPG
East Cliffs of Sgurr nan Saighead
23.JPG
After heading towards Beinn Bhuidhe instead of going down the West shoulder I crossed over towards Sgurr na Moraich. On the South slopes of Sgurr nan Saighead there appears to be lots of small drystane dykes similar to the one shown with a view over to The Forcan Ridge andThe Saddle
25.JPG
There is no path between Beinn Bhuidhe and you just have to find your own way to the summit cairn which consisdts of a pile of stones on a rock. This might be quite difficult to find in bad visibility so something to keep in mind if you intend to do this little add on ( a Hump I believe but quite a big one at 876m) From the summit I came off heading towards the low point on the other side of the Goire na Criche (South) and although quite steep and rocky made it without much difficulty, although would not have liked it had the underfoot conditions been wet! There is a good path on the North side of the Allt a' Chruinn which takes you all the way back to the unclassified road to Morvich near the causeway (Main Road A87)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: The Five Sisters with a little add on!

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Nice day out. Must do some of these again in good weather some day :) .

Got to tell you that Sgurr na Moraich is the 5th sister (or first one, depending which way you count), but since the Munros have become more popular, it tends to get missed. Sgurr nan Spainteach doesn't count as it can't be seen in the classic view from the Bealach Ratagain.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:21 pm

malky_c wrote:Nice day out. Must do some of these again in good weather some day :) .

Got to tell you that Sgurr na Moraich is the 5th sister (or first one, depending which way you count), but since the Munros have become more popular, it tends to get missed.

Hey Malky-c , that is the best news yet, I had it down as the fifth sister and marked it down as such on the OS map I was using. Just read the WH report and that says it's the fifth as well, the last time I did it I missed it as I counted the Munro Top Sgurr nan Spainteach as the fifth. All the other members thought that Sgurr na Moraich was a nothing hill. That's made my day, I'm even happier now I did it as would have been very easy to pass it by :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:53 am

Nice pix. You had a lovely day for it. And no mention of dreaded beasties......
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:09 am

Alteknacker wrote:Nice pix. You had a lovely day for it. And no mention of dreaded beasties......

Thanks Alteknacker, fantastic day on the hill, with a breeze on top, no beasties! :D Some at the campsite at Ardelve but because it's on the loch side not nearly as bad as at the campsite at Shielbridge :) But I did forget to mention that we saw a ptarmigan with three very young chicks on the ridge, they were so close we nearly stood on them, that's a first, Wonderful :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:54 pm

This one is a classic :D Thanks for reminding me how fantastic this ridge is... We did it in similar conditions, hot and summery plus lots and lots of people, at some point we were standing in a queue on the path, waiting for the folks in front of us to go over something scramble-ish :lol: :lol: We never got to the last sister though... One more walk I'd love to repeat sometime.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:04 pm

BlackPanther wrote:This one is a classic :D Thanks for reminding me how fantastic this ridge is... We did it in similar conditions, hot and summery plus lots and lots of people, at some point we were standing in a queue on the path, waiting for the folks in front of us to go over something scramble-ish :lol: :lol: We never got to the last sister though... One more walk I'd love to repeat sometime.

Hi BP, I agree this one is worth doing time and time again :D maybe not as many folk on it as when you did it, but still a fair number, so lots of stops and chats, which was nice, so if any of you were the people we spoke to Hi again and look forward to seeing your reports, and did you do the last Sister? I don't think many do, probably too tired at that stage, maybe the well worn path is just too tempting to head on down :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby David-Main » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Good report Rod, great pics and nice weather, myself and Jim wilson were on the forcan ridge just across the road from you. We had binoculars with us and could see people on the sisters, probably your good-self.
We are going to try them this weekend weather permiting.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:16 pm

David-Main wrote:Good report Rod, great pics and nice weather, myself and Jim wilson were on the forcan ridge just across the road from you. We had binoculars with us and could see people on the sisters, probably your good-self.
We are going to try them this weekend weather permiting.

Hi there David you would have seen the helicopter then? Circling the Saddle, we did. Hope you get the same weather as us, remember that it's the most Westerly tops which are the Sisters, I nearly was caught out again, it was very tempting just to head on down to the burn instead of ANOTHER climb to the last which stands at 876m I think, take care coming off if it's wet, pretty steep, but once you get down to the path by the burn, good progress, Enjoy! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Really enjoyed that with all the ups and downs. I'll tuck it away in the memory bank as I don't think I'll be ready for this one until next year. Good to see the scrambles aren't too bad!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:27 am

AnnieMacD wrote:Really enjoyed that with all the ups and downs. I'll tuck it away in the memory bank as I don't think I'll be ready for this one until next year. Good to see the scrambles aren't too bad!

AnnieMacD, you have done the Black Carls so you will find this a piece of cake, no exposure to contend with. If you follow me on this route I'm going to have to follow you on The Black Carls :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:07 pm

A cracker Rod :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Did these on a similar day to you but skipped the fifth sister as we had a bus to catch..... and then we missed it by a couple of minutes (saw it pass) so we might as well have done it! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby simon-b » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:57 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
malky_c wrote:Nice day out. Must do some of these again in good weather some day :) .

Got to tell you that Sgurr na Moraich is the 5th sister (or first one, depending which way you count), but since the Munros have become more popular, it tends to get missed.

Hey Malky-c , that is the best news yet, I had it down as the fifth sister and marked it down as such on the OS map I was using. Just read the WH report and that says it's the fifth as well, the last time I did it I missed it as I counted the Munro Top Sgurr nan Spainteach as the fifth. All the other members thought that Sgurr na Moraich was a nothing hill. That's made my day, I'm even happier now I did it as would have been very easy to pass it by :D

I'm glad at least some of us give the real 5th sister the recognition it deserves. Right now I'm in my b and b at Innis a' Chro, at the foot of Sgurr na Moraich.

Nice one, Rod.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:42 am

simon-b wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

I'm glad at least some of us give the real 5th sister the recognition it deserves. Right now I'm in my b and b at Innis a' Chro, at the foot of Sgurr na Moraich.

Nice one, Rod.

Ta Simon-b, lucky you being right there just now, a wonderful area. After what has gone on before it's just so easy to say naw I won't bother, but the day was just to good and there was plenty of time, so go for it. I must admit There were times climbing up to Sgurr na Moraich I thought, this canny be, no signs of paths on the ascent, summit plateau and definitely none on the down climb from the summit, not that I could see anyway. But it was nice to reach the path at the Allt a' Chruinn :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland