walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three from the Spittal of Glenshee

Three from the Spittal of Glenshee

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 16/06/2014

Time taken: 7.4 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1543m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had my eye on these for a while, my dad had regailed his walk of them a few years ago as he's obsessed with Railways and he loved the old line leading to the ruins of Glenlochsie Lodge. Dogplodder also did a great report on them recently and due to the shortish drive from Aberdeen my mind was made up to do them Sat 14th June, especially as my ankle injury picked up on Derry Cairngorm two weeks ago seemed to be improving. I would make an executive decision whether to do the three or just two depending on how my ankle was holding up. Weather forecast was for showers on/off all day but a better chance of cloud free Munros later in the afternoon, therefore i did not leave too early so i could get the best of the weather. 20% cloud free in the morning and rising to 70% in the afternoon, well theres no point in just doing the hills to chalk them off if you can get great views if you are patient!!

Arrived at the Dalmunzie Hotel and popped in and paid my £2.50 then got booted up and walked along the road towards Glenlochsie Farm. Went through the gate on the left signed for Glas Tulaichean, let the dugs off their leashes as no sheep around and we headed through the field and eventually caught site of the old railway track.
photo 31.JPG
Gate to Glas Tulaichean

photo 1.JPG
Looking up the Glen Lochsie

After reading many reports i had decided to follow it instead of the land rover track lower down, this in my opinion was the wrong decision as i found this track very wet and time consuming, i couldn't help thinking i'd have made better time down below even with a few streams to ford. The one boost of it was the vantage point as we were slightly higher, the great surprise of the day was the lovely smells of all the flowering plants, it reminded me of my childhood when me and my mates would jump on our bikes and cycle miles into the country with picnics and you could smell all the flora, i think that smell after a drop of rain is uplifting, also reminded me of the Duthie Park Winter gardens in Aberdeen :D
photo 2.JPG
Flowering Thistle, love that plant!!

As i was travelling along the old line you cross a couple of bridges, it was here i questioned whether the railway line was actually cost effective as i believe it was built to transport the stones to build the hotel and laterly to transport the 'toffs' up to the lodge for shooting.
photo 3.JPG
One of the bridges

photo 4.JPG
Dogs investigating the bridge

photo 5.JPG
Nice waterfall

photo 11.JPG
Mutts enjoying themselves

I could see in front of me a couple and their black lab, i eventually caught them as you cross the wee bridge at the Lodge. We all agreed that the landrover track below may have been the better choice, their boots and trouser legs looked as sodden and muddy as mine! Their lab had a tennis ball in his mouth that he would carry all day, Roy my liver and white springer loves his ball but he likes to drop it and i am always scared it bounces down a steep section and in his rush to get it back he goes over the side of something dangerous so he does not get his ball on the hill :( My bad!!

Once over the bridge you join the landrover track and head up hill towards Breac-reidh, the mist was really down and it was raining, i knew the forecast was for rain on/off all day so never bothered with the waterproof trousers, i just hoped my walking trousers would get time to dry between the showers. I had to put the dogs on the leads as we came accross lots of hares and ground nesting birds with chicks and my two would give chase if the things run, they tend to get cloth ear when this happens and i didn't want them splitting up chicks and the their mothers.
photo 12.JPG
Landrover track up past the lodge

photo 13.JPG
Lookign towards Glas Tulaichean

You branch off East to the summit of Glas Tulaichean and reach the Summit Trig Point easily enough, it was still very wet and foggy but eventually i was joined by another lone walker on the summit. Chatted away with him and then headed off North down the ridge towards the path on the other side which skirts round West to Carn an Righ. It was here i couldn't believe that a hare just sontered by us, even the dogs could not believe it, pausing they didn't know what to do, they kind of looked at eachother then me in one of those cartoon moments and then gave chase before i could do anything. The hare took off and they gave up but what a fright i got, i mean the cheeky begger was really lucky :lol:
It was here Lochy found a rotting lamb/sheep and tried to eat some of it, on the leads they went, especially after the hare incident. They did not get off until the path skirting round towards Carn an Righ, which was really soggy and muddy. I stopped for some fuel before the assent to the summit, on the way up the dogs had to be put on the leads again as there were sheep going around and i did not want another car chase!! The lone walker over took me here while i got the sods on their leashes.

photo 16.JPG
Carn an Righ

photo 15.JPG
First Sight of the famous Loch nan Eun

photo 17.JPG
Roy resting with Glas Tulaichean in the back ground

photo 19.JPG
Lochy resting with Glas Tulaichean in the back ground

photo 18.JPG
Shoulder leading to summit Carn an Righ

Reached the summit and met the lone walker again, he said he was in a hurry as he wanted back for the football and also he was in training for a trip to Norway.
photo 20.JPG
Summit Carn an Righ

I sat at the summit for a while and made my decision to go on towards Beinn Iutharn Mor as it looked so close and the weather had improved and the cloud lifted. He had already done it from the North so we said our good byes and i headed off down passing the couple from earlier, their lab still carrying his ball. I took the faint path leading North which eventually faded away and the dogs were back on leads again as i experienced what a lot of people have been lately disturbing Ptarmigan in the grass, then all of a sudden their chicks all pop out too, once i get over the initial fright and get the dogs calmed down we proceed, the route is very clear to the top of the last Munro.
photo 21.JPG
Beinn Iutharn Mor

photo 22.JPG
Summit Beinn Iutharn Mor

photo 23.JPG
Summit Beinn Iutharn Mor

Stayed on the summit a while, dugs got their carrots, i then saw the weather closing in from the North (Lairig Ghru) and decided i better make tracks as i also wanted to pop in by Loch nan Eun as everyone remarked at it's beauty in other trip reports.
photo 24.JPG
Bad weather approaching from the Lairig Ghru

photo 25.JPG
Carn an Righ from Beinn Iutharn Mor

photo 26.JPG
Glas Tulaichean from Beinn Iutharn Mor

Made good time and got to the Loch and let the dogs have a wee swim before catching up with the couple and the black lab again at the outflow at the Southern end where we all headed off down Gleann Taitneach.
photo 27.JPG
Roy having a paddle in Loch nan Eun

photo 28.JPG
Looking down Gleann Taitneach

photo 29.JPG
Looking back at the waterfalls at the outlet of the Loch

The rain then caught us and i said my good byes to the couple and bashed on with the walk out of the Gleann back to the car, it was quite a long walk out but once you reach the Gleann Floor there is another landrover track and i made good progress. As the track is right next to the Allt Ghlinn Thaitneich River the dogs were annoying me to throw rocks in so they could play, cannot believe the fitness they have, never ending. You eventually come to a wee ruin on your left and after that you take the wee bridge over the river as you want to be on the west side of it so you can return to the hotel. I passed through the field which was on my right on the outward walk and ended up right beside the gate on the left I took out.
photo 30.JPG
Gate leading up Gleann Taitneach

Got back to the car, dried the dogs off and got home in super quick time to get a night on the tiles to watch the football. Conclusion of the day was i found it a bit of a stress having the dogs on the leashes for much of the day as i was so scared they would stress wildlife and sheep, i probably picked the wrong season to do this walk as Glenshee area is one of the most abundant parts for wildlife i have ever seen especially in the nesting season and lambing season. Still had a great day and was chuffed i got the three done and my ankle held up, now a weekend off while i go away on my stag wekeend to Amsterdam 8) :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Three from the Spittal of Glenshee

Postby martin.h » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Nice report Matthew, these are three I had'nt thought of for our trip at the end of this month, thanks, you've given me an idea..... I can just imagine the look of anticipation on Roy and Lochy's faces when they met the Hare, was it another sheeps skull moment?
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:10 pm

You did well to get the three in that time. You didn't get as bonny a day as we did but don't think that bothered the dogs - specially with the bonus of the hare chase! :lol: Love your dogs by the way. :D Think we're following one another around as Moira and I are planning on Derry Cairngorm on Wednesday - but don't mention the ankle incident. :silent:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 am

martin.h wrote:Nice report Matthew, these are three I had'nt thought of for our trip at the end of this month, thanks, you've given me an idea..... I can just imagine the look of anticipation on Roy and Lochy's faces when they met the Hare, was it another sheeps skull moment?

Thanks Martin, hope the trip goes well, there's plenty Munro's in the area, pity i've done most or i'd join you and Denise. Haha, i thought they may catch it but it was too quick/agile, thank god, i saw a programme somewhere about hares numbers going down but this season i have seen heaps, hope this is a good sign for them!!
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:23 am

dogplodder wrote:You did well to get the three in that time. You didn't get as bonny a day as we did but don't think that bothered the dogs - specially with the bonus of the hare chase! :lol: Love your dogs by the way. :D Think we're following one another around as Moira and I are planning on Derry Cairngorm on Wednesday - but don't mention the ankle incident. :silent:

Thanks DP, they are no bother really, they do not go looking for trouble but if they come accross something and it runs/flies they are happy to give it a chase, it's a bit stressful and they are learning, but i always lead them up when in doubt or around farm animals as the last thing i want is to upset the landowner especially since we are lucky enough in Scotland to be allowed on land that's not ours. Boys will be Boys and all that :D
Looks like you have a great day for it today DP, enjoy and hope Moira's ankle holds out fine, look forward to your report :wink:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland