walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 from Glen Feshie

5 from Glen Feshie

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Cairn Toul, Monadh Mòr, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 15/06/2014

Time taken: 12 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There was a debate recently on peoples opinions of the Cairngorms, some love them others not so. Personally I love them, but they need to be explored. My favourite time of year for these mountains is winter and I have explored the Northern corries many times, Ben Macdui was my first foray way back in 1983 on a winter skills course, I didn’t see much but was impressed by the scale. But they need to be explored in all seasons and I love the change that summer brings about.

Ever since buying ‘The Big Walks’, long since out of print, I have read and reread the Cairngorm 4000’s, thinking one day just maybe. A dream was born. But like all dreams they take belief, patience and effort to be fulfilled.

So today Sunday enough time had passed, 30 plus years. Now was time for the effort.

This began midweek, with the prospect of a day free from packing on the weekend, and the need to cheer oneself up after a £1200 garage bill…gulp !. Out came the maps. I still had my laminated copy from my winter course, the A9 had moved a bit but the mountains unchanged.

I hadn’t walked the mountains west of the Ghru, except for Bray Ree Erch, I know stuff ! So hatched a route to take in Angels peak, Cairn Toul and Devils Point from Glen Feshie. But once I had begun working out my route plus some tips from this forum, I added Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mor, now we had a walk…well if your going out for the day make it a day !

Forecast was for low cloud/mist but clearing late morning, hopefully on time as such a walk determined an early start and so to bed with alarm set for 0400hrs.

I didn’t quite get up on time but by 0600hrs I was at Auchlean and off having first had the customary Costa stop in Aviemore.

WH1.jpg

There were no midges about and the walk in up to the bealach arrived me in cloud, but glimpse of sun were peaking through back in the Glen.

The junction at the head of the glen, paths shoot of in all directions and the clag was down here, but it did have some surprises.

WH2.jpg

On descent across the open moor, a bewildering place in the mist, the clag cleared and some views opened up, but the interest was closer to home, a sudden commotion beneath my feet, a flurry of chicks which I nearly fell over and mum feigning injury in front of me for the next 50 yards.

WH3.jpg

Now this is one of the reasons I love the Cairngorms in summer, the wildlife. I had already seen Ptarmigan with chicks (first of many today), Plovers also running all about in front of me, and Curlews calling, although they chose not to show themselves until the walk out.

My route to the big 3 was to take me on a level traverse once over the river crossing that is part of the route to Monadh Mor, amd once around the corner, the start of the ascent of Angels Peak, Sgurr an Lochan Uaine, came into view, ascending to the the left.

WH4.jpg

I began the ascent, looking back to the lochan that sits beneath between it and Monadh Mor, I’ll be returning here later. The clag is rising but I fear given the height of these monsters it may not come in time.

WH5.jpg

Looking back as I ascend I can now see Monadh Mor in mist and far left Bhrotain.

WH6.jpg

The ascent is easy and in no time I am on summit number one, Sgurr an Lochan Uaine, but no views today.

WH7.jpg

But some exploring over the lip, big mountains give big snow, this field disappearing out of view.

WH8.jpg

After the easy ascent of this first summit, the ascent of Cairn Toul came as a shock, it seemed to go on and on and being a bouldery mountain the going wasn’t so easy.

But it was reached in due course, and the descent wasn’t much better either, except that’s when the weather started to clear.

First view down the corrie to the Ghru and Devils Point.

WH9.jpg

My route ahead around the corrie rim.

WH10.jpg

View to Bhrotain my final mountain today.

WH11.jpg

A sea of pink, summer blooms.

WH12.jpg

Devils Point view south across the slabs of Bhrotain.

WH13.jpg

Birds eye view of Corrour Bothy

WH14.jpg

Top of the world

WH15.jpg

Pano from Devils Point, Beinn Mheadhoin…oops sorry Veeyan !! the path out to Linn of Dee and Bhrotain on right

WH16.jpg

Chill time and its not even 1200 yet !

WH17.jpg

More Ptarmigan this time with chick,

WH18.jpg

And next

WH19.jpg

I now had a long traverse around via my starting Lochan to gain Monadh Mor, which passed fairly easily and then the ascent. View back across to my morning route.

WH20.jpg

Bhrotain looking a long way off.

WH21.jpg

Getting closer

WH22.jpg

Happy bunny, big day !

WH23.jpg

The walk out revealed more views, and more hills than I could identify fro these angles, but some were familiar

Sgurr Gaoith

WH24.jpg

And distant into Laggan, Creag Meg, and Easains to left, just

WH25.jpg

Blessed with good knees I made short work of the walk out, steps and all, from the head of the bealach and was back at my car inside 50 minutes. All in 12 hours, not too shabby. Oh plus a beer en route home at the usual :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: 5 from Glen Feshie

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:48 am

Beautifully written Spider :D Are you sure you wrote it :lol:
Big day eh and i have to agree with you about the cairngorms :D Stunning area
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:44 am

Fantastic Spiderwebb, I love the Gorms. Spent many summers up at my Grans just outside Boat of Garten where her living room window looked right at Bynack More. Their bulk is unbelievable and once at height the walking is a joy. Thats an epic shift you put int here mate!! :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:01 am

scoob999 wrote:Beautifully written Spider :D Are you sure you wrote it :lol:
Big day eh and i have to agree with you about the cairngorms :D Stunning area

haha nice one Scoob, I write what I feel, say it too ! I have my moments :lol:

Beaner001 wrote:Fantastic Spiderwebb, I love the Gorms. Spent many summers up at my Grans just outside Boat of Garten where her living room window looked right at Bynack More. Their bulk is unbelievable and once at height the walking is a joy. Thats an epic shift you put int here mate!! :clap:

Cheers Beaner, yep epic day but could do it again today, feeling good. The Gorms are superb in all seasons, magical place.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby electricfly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:09 am

Cracking stuff Dave!

Shame about the no view on Angels but glad that things cleared up for you by the Devil's Point. Surely that's Carn a' Mhaim in your pano not Beinn Mheadhoin! :lol:

I personally love that path from Auchlean to the Moine Mhor. Weren't you tempted to add on Sgor Gaoith and Mullach Clach a ' Bhlair on the end? :lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby electricfly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:29 am

Jings! Just looked to see if you'd already done Sgor Gaoith and Mullach Clach a ' Bhlair. And noted that when you bagged the Devil's Point it would have taken you to 66.6% of munros bagged. Not only that, but your next post on WH will be your 666th!!!

Add that to the fact you did this route on a weekend where we had a Friday the 13th...

...think you might need less exercise and more exorcise! :lol: :shock: :lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:26 pm

electricfly wrote:Surely that's Carn a' Mhaim in your pano not Beinn Mheadhoin!

I personally love that path from Auchlean to the Moine Mhor. Weren't you tempted to add on Sgor Gaoith and Mullach Clach a ' Bhlair on the end?

EF yes you are absolutely correct Carn a Mhaim. Sgurr Gaoith has seen me 3 times already, but I do love it. Mullach only once and I recall tears and bog so I'll pass on that one :)

LOl I never noticed the stats...spooky :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:00 pm

electricfly wrote:Add that to the fact you did this route on a weekend where we had a Friday the 13th...

I think the Friday 13th influence was the car bill :(
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby bar72 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:20 pm

excellent report and given me the woomf to get my finger out and bag the cairgorms. i have 3 large circuits planned to get them all bagged, hopefully this year.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Go for it Bar72......Lawers 7 in my sights :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Old Bill » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Great report Spiderwebb - really nicely written :-) Getting my inspired for my similar trip now!

OB
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland