walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gelder Shiel

Gelder Shiel

Postby Alastair S » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 am

Date walked: 28/02/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 201m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just a quick report on a walk I attempted at the end of February to contrast with the same territory just 3 weeks later. The plan was to see if I could get to the lochan in Lochnagar’s corrie from Easter Balmoral. In the end I only made it half way due to the depth of snow and lack of any views. On the way out meet a couple of folk battling their way out of the bothy at Gelder Shiel who had abandoned their earlier plans and on the way back some sensible folk on skis.

Glender Shiel from Balmoral (28-Feb-10).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P1070236_edited-1.jpg
A late riser from the herd's bivouac

P1070237_edited-1.jpg
Deer fence around Gelder Shiel - not so effective when there is 5 feet of snow about

P1070238_edited-1.jpg
Gelder Shiel with Meikle Pap just visible

P1070239_edited-1.jpg
As as above, but from further away
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Gelder Shiel

Postby mountain coward » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:52 am

That's some depth of snow looking at that deer fence!! I've always wanted to go see Gelder Shiel - maybe we should organise a bothy trip there like the Tarf one? Is that a deer fawn? I would have thought it was far too early yet?
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland