walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Best Munros & Why??

Re: Best Munros & Why??

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 am

For me, there's so many things that go to make up a great day out - it might be the actual physical characteristics of the mountain, in which case Liathach, Ladhar Bheinn, Big Bookil, most of the Cuillin etc are fab; it might be the experience of being in an area with a group of hills for long enough to get some sort of relationship to them - such as the fisherfields, the cairngorms, the hills around ben alder, the mamores/grey corries; it might be the views and vistas in which case my morning on Slioch has to rate with the best, or it might be hills that are special to you for some other reason, like always having wanted to climb them - in my case this would be Foinaven.

Like Scoob, I'm a believer in the "apprenticeship" model of gaining skills on the more straightforward hills and leaving the harder/more demanding routes til I felt more competent - the summer/winter divide is also relevant. There are hills I'm definately pleased I left til I could enjoy them more because I knew more about what I was doing. Some hills are pretty dull - i'd put the 6 SE of Glenshee in that group, but even if the hill isn't up to much there's always the landscape/natural beauty around to compensate (unless it's chucking it down in dense clag :roll: )

If you are planning on doing them all in a reasonably quick time then it's well worth having a look to see what you can group together into a longer day or a weekend - I was puzzled that you didn't head up Stob Binnien from the bealach when you did Ben More, for example, as this would have added 40mins or so to your day - although the route up SB from the balquhidder side is a nicer approach for that hill anyway IMO.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:34 pm

It's hard to pick a favourite one for me, although Slioch last April on a beautiful clear day was out of this world. Stob Dearg in September for Scoob & Fi's compleation was pretty special.

I've enjoyed most of the them in their own way, with the possible exceptions being Beinn Ghlas, Cairn of Claise (still hard to believe they are classed as seperate peaks) and Tom Buidhe, which is an absolutely pointless lump with poor views, and often boggy.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks to all for taking the time out to highlight there Fav's and why.....

think I'm just gonna work my way through them as in closest firt and work my way out, see how it goes ;)

Thanks
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:21 pm

MunroMadMen wrote:Thanks to all for taking the time out to highlight there Fav's and why.....

think I'm just gonna work my way through them as in closest firt and work my way out, see how it goes ;)

Thanks

Sound's like a good plan till you've none close to home :wink: I think it's always better travelling to the furthest away ones in the summer and working back home, always leaves quickies if you can't be bothered with a long drive :D

Like always though, it's a personal choice. enjoy them though, each one is different and i don't mean that in the obvious way :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:17 am

I've tended to do the ones closest to home, leaving the best ones I've done for good weather, which given our usual weather means they are spaced well apart. I'd hate to get to 200 and not have any more classics to left on my 'to do' list. As for favourites, the first time I was literally blown away with the view was on Stob Ghabhar, very nearly reduced me to tears :shh: :oops: I'd definitely save that for a clear day. The Aonach Eagach will always be up there, not just a great ridge walk, but the view is pretty stunning too. Others would be Bidean, because it's just an awesome place to be, Beinn a'Bheithir, because the curving ridge from Sgurr Bhan to Sgurr Dhearg is beautiful,as are the views. The Bookil, because it's the Bookil, Ring of Steall, great ridges/views, Ben Lui because it looks fekin awesome. CMD Arete, again stunning ridge walk with a birds eye view of the Bens North face. I took in my 100th Munro doing the Forcan Ridge, which was just amazing, I had lunch sat with one leg on one side of the ridge, and the other leg on the other side! Bla Bheinn is as far as I've been, but anything on Skye is going to be a great day out if the weather is great. Corbett favs from the little that I've done would be The Cobbler, done about 10 times now and still love it, Beinn an Lochain, another fun wee hill, Beinn Trilleachan, stunning view over to Starav and down Loch Etive to the Cruachan range, Beinn a'Chrulaiste for the view to the Bookil (did this at sunrise in winter and it was stunning!). Grahams favs would be the Pap of Glencoe for the view and Sgorr a'Choise as it's not dissimilar to he Pap and also has a fantastic view.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:53 am

scoob999 wrote:
MunroMadMen wrote:Thanks to all for taking the time out to highlight there Fav's and why.....

Thanks

Sound's like a good plan till you've none close to home :wink: I think it's always better travelling to the furthest away ones in the summer and working back home, always leaves quickies if you can't be bothered with a long drive :D

Like always though, it's a personal choice. enjoy them though, each one is different and i don't mean that in the obvious way :D

Gotta agree with Scoob on this one.

I live in Aberdeen and cherry picked the close to home ones last year, now I find I am stuck with either long drives to single / paired hills or only having ones I planned to do in groups nearby (i.e. the Lochnagar 5).

I'm definitely a planner though and like to have an over-arching idea of what I'm looking to achieve, hence I had my entire years worth of walks planned out last Janurary :) (52 hills of which I only done 8!)

Oh and my fav has been Mayar so far, for the challange of getting it up despite the snow being against us and our relative inexperience which put us right on the cusp of turning back.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby cmarcol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:04 am

RyanfaeScotland wrote:Oh and my fav has been Mayar so far, for the challange of getting it up despite the snow being against us and our relative inexperience which put us right on the cusp of turning back.

Nice to hear someone speaking positively about Mayar. It was my first Munro and I've been up it in all seasons since.

My favourites so far (haven't done many though) have been Gleouraich, Beinn a'Bheithir and Lochnagar. I really enjoyed Cairngorm from Linn of Dee too but probably wouldn't have if I had come up from the ski centre - Loch Etchachan and Avon made that walk worth it.

As for how to pick the ones to do. I joined a club so go away with them on whatever is on their programme as well as venturing out to my local hills by myself (which are becoming less local already!). The club has been excellent for gaining a bit more experience (esp in winter when I used to hang my boots up for the season) and going to places I wouldn't have considered myself :D

C
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Moriarty » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:
scoob999 wrote:

Thanks

Sound's like a good plan till you've none close to home :wink: ..........

Gotta agree with Scoob on this one.

I live in Aberdeen and cherry picked the close to home ones last year, now I find I am stuck with either long drives to single / paired hills or only having ones I planned to do in groups nearby (i.e. the Lochnagar 5)........

:lol: you've gotta love bagger's blinkers.

In reality you'll find that the amount of munros a short driving distance from you doesn't change at all no matter how often you climb them. So if you want a short drive and an enjoyable hill walk you can simply re ascend one of the ones you've done before. :shock:
Moriarty

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:49 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:I live in Aberdeen and cherry picked the close to home ones last year, now I find I am stuck with either long drives to single / paired hills or only having ones I planned to do in groups nearby (i.e. the Lochnagar 5).

Since you're local, I'd recommend ignoring the "standard bagging" routes in the White Mounth - Glen Shee area.
Might take you a couple more days, but there are more interesting alternatives (some with bonus Corbetts!), such as:

Glen Isla - Monega Hill - Glas Maol - Creag Leacach - Monamenach
Glen Isla - Monega Hill - Glas Maol - Cairn of Claise - Caderg - Caenlochan
Glen Doll - Tom Bhuidhe - Tolmount - Cairn Bannoch - Broad Cairn
Invercauld - The Stuic - Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach - Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
Glen Callater - Coire Loch Kander - Carn Tuirc - Creag nan Gabhar
Spittal - Ben Gulabin - Carn a' Gheoidh - Carn Binnein
Baddoch - Carn Aosda - Cairnwell - Carn a' Gheoidh (+ optionally An Socach)
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Moriarty wrote: :lol: you've gotta love bagger's blinkers.

In reality you'll find that the amount of munros a short driving distance from you doesn't change at all no matter how often you climb them. So if you want a short drive and an enjoyable hill walk you can simply re ascend one of the ones you've done before. :shock:

Indeed but the number of Munro's a short driving distance from me that I haven't been to before does and given my limited time on this Earth I want to experience all the flavours it has to offer. You might be happy having chicken fried rice every time you go to the Chinese (or mixing it up and having fried rice with chicken as jmarkb suggests) but I want to try everything on the menu at least once. :wink:

Tounge in cheek reply aside you guys are totally right and repeating the same hill again and again is something I do very often although I tend to make it either Clachnaben or Bennachie. This way it's more of a half day trip which is easier to justifiy than an entire day out. If I'm going out on a full days hike without the family I'm afriad it needs to count for more than just a nice walk in my books, otherwise I'm a bit of a ass for not going on a nice walk somewhere they can go too.

Thanks for the route suggestions jmarkb, I'll make a point of looking into them after work.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby Moriarty » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:16 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:Indeed but the number of Munro's a short driving distance from me that I haven't been to before does and given my limited time on this Earth I want to experience all the flavours it has to offer. You might be happy having chicken fried rice every time you go to the Chinese (or mixing it up and having fried rice with chicken as jmarkb suggests) but I want to try everything on the menu at least once. :wink:

I'd say it's more like picking one dish off a restaurant menu and declaring that restaurant "done" moving on to the next one and never going back to fully explore the menu of any of them.

The difference in experience of the same hill in different weather, seasons and via different routes can be pretty profound.

but if the tick is needed to justify the jaunt then plainly you're going to have to get planning.
Moriarty

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Moriarty wrote:I'd say it's more like picking one dish off a restaurant menu and declaring that restaurant "done" moving on to the next one and never going back to fully explore the menu of any of them.

How dare you turn my own analogy against me! :lol: :clap:
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby scoob999 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:35 pm

[/quote]

:lol: you've gotta love bagger's blinkers.

In reality you'll find that the amount of munros a short driving distance from you doesn't change at all no matter how often you climb them. So if you want a short drive and an enjoyable hill walk you can simply re ascend one of the ones you've done before. :shock:[/quote]

A fair point, of which i am largely guilty :wink:

For me now, a new hill is a new place visited :D and as we all know you can do hillwalking cheaply, but it's an expensive hobby/pastime/sport (don't want to get into trouble re a previous post) :lol: Fuel cost is a major factor hence the long drives/ camping :shock: in the summer months when there is more bagging light :wink:

Every one is different though :roll: Happy Days
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:36 pm

I'm never gonna get the hang of this quote thing :(
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby CharlesT » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 pm

The best for me is the next one on the list, until if and when I reach 282, then I'll reflect on which I think the best was in retrospect. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion