walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two from Corrour

Two from Corrour

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:32 am

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Corbetts included on this walk: Leum Uilleim

Date walked: 19/06/2014

Time taken: 5.3 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We got the 10.21 train from Crianlarich, arriving at Corrour at 11.25. We set off straight away along the track towards the Youth Hostel and then up the path to Beinn na Laps ridge. From here we walked to the summit, spotting a sheltered spot for lunch on our way back down. After reaching the summit we returned to find our lunch spot where we sat enjoying the views. Reading conflicting story's about this hill, we were all off the opinion it's a great wee mountain with lovely views and can see why some save it for last. Jimmy and Mo were saving it for last but couldn't resist joining me when i told them i was doing it. Once we finished lunch we continued down the ridge and across the railway line, before heading up An Diollaid and round to the summit of Leum Uilleim. We stopped for another we break as we headed down Sron an Lagain Ghaibh as we still had plenty of time before the 18.25 train. We arrived back at Corrour just before 5pm, hoping to get a drink before our train but were told they don't open until 6.30 unless you are a guest. I found this odd that a Hotel in the middle of nowhere would turn down custom but when they charge 4 quid odd a pint i'm glad they did as i was the only one with money on me. :shock: We then sat outside awaiting the arrival of our train, looking back at the super walk we had just done.
Train 001.JPG

Train 002.JPG

Train 003.JPG

Train 004.JPG

Train 005.JPG

Train 006.JPG

Train 007.JPG

Train 008.JPG

Train 009.JPG

Train 010.JPG

Train 011.JPG

Train 012.JPG

Train 013.JPG

Train 015.JPG

Train 016.JPG

Train 017.JPG

Train 021.JPG

Train 022.JPG

Train 023.JPG

Train 026.JPG

Train 028.JPG

Train 030.JPG

Train 032.JPG

Train 033.JPG

Train 035.JPG
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Two from Corrour

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:01 am

Hi JC, great views from both these hills , looks like you had fine weather as well, bonus! That's a fine wee rest lunch spot, used it myself only last month. The Corbett especially has wonderful vies from the summit, a lovely Corbett with the outlying top. A pint of Corrour Gold, pure nectar after a long day on the hill, should have taken the tent and been able to sample the food and drink. A board full of Ollie's handmade chips are to die for :D maybe next time though. Pity about the opening hours but I think they are trying to get Scotrail to install vending machines and also toilet facilities at the station, fingers crossed.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby goth_angel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Some lovely views there. We did Beinn na Lap as a winter hill in between trains a few years ago. Great views from the top.

Leum Ulliem looks worth a go too.

Re Corrour Station - the Station house is not a hotel, it is a restaurant with rooms and they basically get food etc in based on who has booked to stay there or to go there for meals. The food is seriously good as are the rooms (we stayed there last year and are returning in a couple of months). They just don't have the capacity to cope with 'drop ins' although they do open the bar after 6.30 as you say, when we were there people popped in from Loch Ossian YHA for a drink no problem.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:06 pm

cracking day for it, JC - it's a great feeling disembarking on to the platform and just standing looking around as the train departs - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks for the post we are off there on Saturday, getting the earlier train :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Well that's a first! You were the only one with money in your pocket :crazy:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:03 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi JC, great views from both these hills , looks like you had fine weather as well, bonus! That's a fine wee rest lunch spot, used it myself only last month. The Corbett especially has wonderful vies from the summit, a lovely Corbett with the outlying top. A pint of Corrour Gold, pure nectar after a long day on the hill, should have taken the tent and been able to sample the food and drink. A board full of Ollie's handmade chips are to die for :D maybe next time though. Pity about the opening hours but I think they are trying to get Scotrail to install vending machines and also toilet facilities at the station, fingers crossed.
Cheers Rod we heard the food was good :D
goth_angel wrote:Some lovely views there. We did Beinn na Lap as a winter hill in between trains a few years ago. Great views from the top.

Leum Ulliem looks worth a go too.

Re Corrour Station - the Station house is not a hotel, it is a restaurant with rooms and they basically get food etc in based on who has booked to stay there or to go there for meals. The food is seriously good as are the rooms (we stayed there last year and are returning in a couple of months). They just don't have the capacity to cope with 'drop ins' although they do open the bar after 6.30 as you say, when we were there people popped in from Loch Ossian YHA for a drink no problem.
Cheers i guess there was a reason why they didn't "open" till half 6 :D
rockhopper wrote:cracking day for it, JC - it's a great feeling disembarking on to the platform and just standing looking around as the train departs - cheers :)
Yes i agree and thats why i'm going to do the Graham up at the Grey Corries from here :D
Fife Flyer wrote:Thanks for the post we are off there on Saturday, getting the earlier train :wink:
Thanks, hope you all have a great day. A couple we spoke to were meant to be on the sleeper but scotrail cancelled it but they laid a taxi on to get them to Corrour :crazy:
mountain thyme wrote:Well that's a first! You were the only one with money in your pocket :crazy:
Aye and thats exactly where it stayed :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby donalmc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Good timeing this report going in morning do these two ,over 55s get return for £19 ends 30th june so going to take advantage of offer.
donalmc
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:136
Fionas:85   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland